Focus Jam2 6.8 2019 or Trek Rail 5 2020?

ebikerlancs

Oct 28, 2019
Lancashire, UK
New to the e-MTB scene but been doing hours of reading and research last couple of weeks as we have cycle to work scheme launching next week.

I see lots of praise for the 6.8, the relative lightness and special offers on 2019 model make it attractive (although there seems to be a shortage of the extra battery packs since Rutland sold out of them). But if I buy the bike on the bike to work scheme and the extra battery from elsewhere separately it will be the total same ballpark cost as a 2020 Trek Rail 5.

The Trek Rail 5 has the Bosch 2020 motor and a longer range. However no tuning options currently due to Bosch going into lockdown. What do the panel think about the likelihood of this motor ever being tunable?

Any other thoughts about which bike you would go for?

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
I test rode the Focus in the summer and loved it. I was planning on buying the 2020 version to get the Bosch motor and bigger battery, though in the end bought a 2020 Orbea. The new Bosch motor, in my opinion, is streets ahead of the 19 shimano one on the Focus and in eMTB mode I would never see a need to tune it for the type of riding I do.

ebikerlancs

Oct 28, 2019
Lancashire, UK
I test rode the Focus in the summer and loved it. I was planning on buying the 2020 version to get the Bosch motor and bigger battery, though in the end bought a 2020 Orbea. The new Bosch motor, in my opinion, is streets ahead of the 19 shimano one on the Focus and in eMTB mode I would never see a need to tune it for the type of riding I do.

Good info thanks Iain. How is the 2020 when you pedal through the 15.5 limit on to higher speeds without assistance?

There is a good 20 mile flat ish gravel type route near me that I do regularly and 15.5 may seem a bit pedestrian there, I can almost average that on my old hardtail non e bike.

Beanz23!

Oct 22, 2019
Kent
New to the e-MTB scene but been doing hours of reading and research last couple of weeks as we have cycle to work scheme launching next week.

I see lots of praise for the 6.8, the relative lightness and special offers on 2019 model make it attractive (although there seems to be a shortage of the extra battery packs since Rutland sold out of them). But if I buy the bike on the bike to work scheme and the extra battery from elsewhere separately it will be the total same ballpark cost as a 2020 Trek Rail 5.

The Trek Rail 5 has the Bosch 2020 motor and a longer range. However no tuning options currently due to Bosch going into lockdown. What do the panel think about the likelihood of this motor ever being tunable?

Any other thoughts about which bike you would go for?

Sounds like you have almost mirrored my recent dilemma. I too wanted a new 2020 Focus but the cost for the 6.8nine was a stumbling block. So almost bought the Rail 5 instead as the cost and spec are good and the Trek dealer is right by my house

In the end i got a blinding deal on a 2019 Jam2 from a German website.

Im not overly fussed about the TEC pack, i dont do crazy miles but if need be i can get one at a later date.

Bike is arriving today ! :love:

ebikerlancs

Oct 28, 2019
Lancashire, UK
Sounds like you have almost mirrored my recent dilemma. I too wanted a new 2020 Focus but the cost for the 6.8nine was a stumbling block. So almost bought the Rail 5 instead as the cost and spec are good and the Trek dealer is right by my house

In the end i got a blinding deal on a 2019 Jam2 from a German website.

Im not overly fussed about the TEC pack, i dont do crazy miles but if need be i can get one at a later date.

Bike is arriving today ! :love:

Excellent. Did it arrive on time?

What are your first thoughts, pleased with it?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
In the beginning of using my Focus Jam2, I did not hit the 25kmh limiter very often...and it was great fun.

Then I got used to the bike, and now ride a lot faster (with better suspension, tyres, setup, pressure...much more grip and confidence)....so I hit the 25kmh limit very often.

Then I tried the US region, and it lifted the bike and ride to a new level.
I would feel very sad, if I had 25kmh limit today......but it depends on the trails you're riding, your level and ambition :)

ebikerlancs

Oct 28, 2019
Lancashire, UK
In the beginning of using my Focus Jam2, I did not hit the 25kmh limiter very often...and it was great fun.

Then I got used to the bike, and now ride a lot faster (with better suspension, tyres, setup, pressure...much more grip and confidence)....so I hit the 25kmh limit very often.

Then I tried the US region, and it lifted the bike and ride to a new level.
I would feel very sad, if I had 25kmh limit today......but it depends on the trails you're riding, your level and ambition :)

Good feedback, thanks. I test rode a trek rail 9.8 carbon 2020 yesterday and it was amazing.

On the road and smooth paths it hit the limiter so soon though and it was challenging to keep the speed just within the assistance band. It was easier than I expected to pedal though when you pass 15.5 and have to pedal manually. For me I think 20mph would be a much better top end where an ebike has a real advantage over non electric for flat style paths.

Anyway the chap at Trek Uk said it’s only the rail 9s that are currently available which are more than I want to spend for a first bike and the 5 could be as late as April. The cheap focus 2019 have now sold out at Rutland too. So not sure what to go for now.

Beanz23!

Oct 22, 2019
Kent
Good feedback, thanks. I test rode a trek rail 9.8 carbon 2020 yesterday and it was amazing.

On the road and smooth paths it hit the limiter so soon though and it was challenging to keep the speed just within the assistance band. It was easier than I expected to pedal though when you pass 15.5 and have to pedal manually. For me I think 20mph would be a much better top end where an ebike has a real advantage over non electric for flat style paths.

Anyway the chap at Trek Uk said it’s only the rail 9s that are currently available which are more than I want to spend for a first bike and the 5 could be as late as April. The cheap focus 2019 have now sold out at Rutland too. So not sure what to go for now.

Try Bike-discount.de thats where i got mine from. not sure whats left tho....

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Btw....I have adjusted my assist levels a lot down, så I get a lot less support and my "new" top-speed is close til US-region.
My hearth-rate is very similar to my analog bikes (avg 130ish, max at 175).....but I go a lot faster, which is why I go eMTB now.

The new Bosch motor is said to be hack-proof.
I have yet so see a unit that is truly hack-proof.
It might take some time though...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles