Focus jam2 6.8 plus maxxis recon 2.8 tyres..

MisterMT

Oct 30, 2019
UK
So, I am learning my bike, what works for me what doesn't, and I have had a few occasions now where I have slipped, where I would not have expected to on my old hardtail (2.4 tyres).

Now in no way am I an expert rider, so I would assume that this is a question of me getting used to how to handle the greater weight of this bike in different conditions. Ie blame the riding not the tool.

However, I have also seen a couple of reviews of this bike complaining about the tyres, saying they don’t grip enough, suggesting to change them out.

I plan to learn more before doing this - they look chunky and good enough to me - but interested in what experience others may have had.

MisterMT

Oct 30, 2019
UK
I've not tried the recon on the front, but it's not very grippy on the back especially when leaned over imo
Yes, this is what I am finding. It slips when I lean beyond a certain level. But that could also be a function of the weight distribution of the bike, going at the right speed etc.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
MMT I had exactly the same problem with the recons on my Focus lost the front wheel a couple of times and rear wheel slipping on climbs when I didn’t think it should have - changed to Minions and no problems since. Depends what ground conditions you have I guess...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@MisterMT I had 29 x 2.6" Maxxis Rekon 3C EXO Maxx Terra TR on the front and the single compound on the rear. The Rekons are a great summer tyre, and the spec the bike came with was a good one. But I could not get on with them at all. I started riding them in Jan and the first thing I did was to go tubeless as I'm a long term fan of that. But still the rear was spinning out on climbs and the whole bike was sliding about. I tried a variety of type pressures, as you do, but still not happy.

Long story short, I went for 29 x 2.5" Maxxis High Roller II 3C WT Maxx Terra EXO TR front and rear. The tyre highly recommended on here is the Maxxis Minion. But I find that the HRII has a slightly wider range of trails, plus I'd had experience of them before on my YT Capra.
The difference vs the Rekons was astonishing.:love:

You should be able to get wider ones than the ones I went for, to better suit your plus bike.

MisterMT

Oct 30, 2019
UK
Thank you all. Seems I am not alone then. It’s the wet sloppy mud and leaves that’s the challenge. Lots of good advice here. I see that people arent going for the full 2.8 width then, with the jam2 plus? (Which is 27.5).

Stanny_uk

Oct 15, 2019
Uk
Thank you all. Seems I am not alone then. It’s the wet sloppy mud and leaves that’s the challenge. Lots of good advice here. I see that people arent going for the full 2.8 width then, with the jam2 plus? (Which is 27.5).
You. Ll find that's due to choice.. Less 2.8 out there and big€$$$$ Michelin e wilds get good reviews.. Not starship money..

MisterMT

Oct 30, 2019
UK
Thanks. I am tempted by the minions then (maybe in front, with high roller on the back) 2.8 size... description seems to tally with my local conditions.

So, do people recommend tubeless?

in the meantime, maybe I’ll try my rekons a bit more with a little less air...

Last edited:

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Went tubeless on all 3 of the ebikes in my household without regret as I've had zero trouble related to it.

Myself, I like the wide tires especially on the back where I can run lower pressure.

I've still got the rekons on back and I dont mind them though I wouldn't buy them of choice either. They bite ok standing up (climbing) with about 18 psi, and I like the back of the bike to be looser than the front when leaned over, so it's a decent rear tire for me. Just decent.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles