Focus Jam TEC pack

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Considering buying one of these having exhausted the regular batt on a long ride yesterday.
How heavy is it and how is it best to carry it . If you exhaust it and then go to the built in batt...do you put it in a back pack or just leave it in situ??
Any good deals going ? seems Bl~~~y expensive @ regular price.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I can weigh one for you tomorrow.
I leave the pack on the rail on the rare times I use it. Keeps all the weight down low instead of up high on your back.
The plug from the TEC pack end of the extra cable then located in a recess further down the top tube to keep it all tidy & secure.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
It is pricey as it comes in a moulded waterproof case along with a second rail for attaching a water bottle cage & rubber straps for spare tubes etc when the second battery isn’t being used.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
6CB06765-36EB-446A-A10A-664A2BD57B60.jpeg

You just mount it and plug it in, basically the bike runs off the external battery, once exhausted you unplug the cable, you need to press the power button then run off the internal battery. They act independently.

valium64

Sep 16, 2018
Massa, Italy
The weight is about 2.2 kg. It does not bother me in driving, you feel very light in very narrow trails and with u turn, but considerating the already important weight of the eMTB is not invalidating.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Price wise You don't seem to see them any cheaper than £459
I only use mine on my longer rides. My ride yesterday was 42 miles with 4700ft of climbing, did nearly all of this in eco with the odd little burst of trail. I used the tec batt first until flat and then finished with 2 bars left on the built in batt

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Newbie here, no eBike yet. Strongly considering the Focus Jam2. I haven't got close enough yet to have asked questions about the TEC pack. I had wondered about how the TEC pack worked, so your info that you can select which battery the bike works from first is fascinating to me. Can you swap between them and back and forth during a ride? (I can't see why I would want to, but if I don't ask....) :)

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
You can swap about by unplugging the piggy back. The bike will only use one at a time to save any issues connecting a full & discharged pack together in parallel.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Newbie here, no eBike yet. Strongly considering the Focus Jam2. I haven't got close enough yet to have asked questions about the TEC pack. I had wondered about how the TEC pack worked, so your info that you can select which battery the bike works from first is fascinating to me. Can you swap between them and back and forth during a ride? (I can't see why I would want to, but if I don't ask....) :)

Check with Rutland cycles...they were doing a really good deal on 2018 Jam2 including TEc pack...about 3200 ...not much more than I paid them for my 2017 model.....such is life.
Now saving for a TEC pack ...darent ask Stimbo for one for Christmas ....the recprical presant would be astronomical.......might have to nip out quietly one day!!!:cool::cool:
Have fun

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Like you say why would you, but yes you can. You would have to keep stopping though and switch it off and disconnect or connecting the battery lead .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Like you say why would you, but yes you can. You would have to keep stopping though and switch it off and disconnect or connecting the battery lead .
Thanks to all that answered my newbie question. I had assumed that slotting the battery into place would automatically connect the battery. I had not thought that they would be considered separate entities, with connecting cables and divert switches. Makes sense. I now have some questions for the Focus dealer on this topic. All good stuff! :)

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Thanks to all that answered my newbie question. I had assumed that slotting the battery into place would automatically connect the battery. I had not thought that they would be considered separate entities, with connecting cables and divert switches. Makes sense. I now have some questions for the Focus dealer on this topic. All good stuff! :)

@steve_sordy Just to confirm the bike does not have a divert switch, it automatically recognises that you have plugged the TEC pack in and it’s turned on, to return to the bike battery you unplug the cable and the cable end can be plugged into a spare port on the frame while you ride,

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles