Focus 2021 Jam2 6.9 NINE

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Like many of us it looks like the pandemic has resulted in the new Focus Jam2 putting on a bit of weight, lol. But 56.5 lbs (according to E-Mountainbike online Mag test) even for an aluminum frame and Bosch motor/625 battery is a bit much for me. I'll take my 2018 Shimano Jam2 C at 45 lbs (with pedals) any day. I don't think the 34mm forks are all that bad at this weight either but the 2021 has 36mm forks. Of course the Shimano version with the 378 wH battery and carbon frame is still available. But hauling around another 11+ lbs has to affect things a bit under some conditions, like lifting it into the bike rack for one!

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
I’ve just sold my 2018 Jam2 with a view to ordering a Levo, mainly to to battery life. I’ve been delaying making the final decision on the Levo and really do like everything about the new Jam2 but that weight? - almost 25kg - I think it’s just too heavy.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Glad that's not just me. I always felt my 2019 kenevo at 24.5 was a mega tank. Feels a bit strange that trail bikes are popping out which weigh more ? ?

Ok, the battery's slightly larger .... But....

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE weighs 20.4kg. I could not believe how heavy the new Focus is, in alloy +Bosch format. Even with its TEC pack fitted my bike still weighs 2kg less than the new version. And it has more Whrs as well, what's not to like?

I think I'll be keeping my bike for a few years more. :)

Last edited:

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
I too was shocked at the weight of the new jam , I have my carbon jam2 down to 20kg and still feels too heavy.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
My Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE weighs 20.4kg. I could not believe how heavy the new Focus is, in alloy +Bosch format. Even with its TEC pack fitted it still weighs 2kg less than the new version. And it has more Whrs as well, what's not to like?

I think I'll be keeping my bike for a few years more. :)
Yes I am thinking exactly like you. I don't think any other bike has anything over my Jam2 now. I'm working on a range extender that should extend the battery life. But even if it needed a new motor and battery that's less than $2K and all the other parts are easily replaceable. The vast majority of my rides are 25 miles or less so the smaller battery is perfect. I've upgraded all other shortcomings like wheels, tires, brakes dropper post, etc. and really happy with the result.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
I don’t know why it’s so heavy, I guess they’ve beefed everything up - frame, forks, wheels/tyres etc plus the heavier battery. It’s a shame as it is a lovely looking bike. Sounds like it rides well though?

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I don’t know why it’s so heavy, I guess they’ve beefed everything up - frame, forks, wheels/tyres etc plus the heavier battery. It’s a shame as it is a lovely looking bike. Sounds like it rides well though?
Yes I wonder too. Probably the tires for one, maybe rims, it's an aluminum frame and finally the battery size is 625. The newer Bosch motors are supposed to be pretty light like the Shimano.
I'm guessing at least 4 lbs comes from the battery, 2 lbs from the 29" Magic Mary tires, 1 lb or so from the wheels, 1lb from the 36mm rhythm forks, 1 from the aluminum frame and then there is another 2 lbs from my underestimate of all of these. Just a WAG, lol.

I just read that the 625 battery is 700g heavier than the Bosch Power tube battery (500). So this battery weight is about 7.7 lbs. Most reviews I've seen now with bikes using this new Bosch motor and larger battery are coming in a weight of around 55 lbs. Shimano equipped bikes seem to be around 50-51 lbs unless they have lighter wheels, tires and frames.

Last edited:

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
My Shimano Jam with Fox 36 forks, weighs (approx) 22.2kg with bottle cage fitted and 24.3kg with tec pack fitted, in size medium so the extra large bike that Rob was testing isn't really that lardy... most aluminium frame bikes with the Bosch motor seem to be over 24kg.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
My Shimano Jam with Fox 36 forks, weighs (approx) 22.2kg with bottle cage fitted and 24.3kg with tec pack fitted, in size medium so the extra large bike that Rob was testing isn't really that lardy... most aluminium frame bikes with the Bosch motor seem to be over 24kg.
Yes I agree, while the motor is said to be about the same as the Shimano, the battery seems to be pretty heavy as you would expect from another 20 cells and maybe better protection from damage. At 20.45 kg with magnesium pedals, CF rims/bars/frame/bottle cage, 2.6"x29" DHF EXO+ and 2.6"X27.5 DHR II EXO+ tires, my carbon Jam2 is just right for me. I can't see hauling another 11 lbs around and have to consider that lardy, lol. But it's all relative I guess. At about 70 kg myself, I can get 30+ miles of riding and 3000 feet of elevation in a single charge of my 378 wH battery. I am working on an inexpensive 158 wH 2 1/2 lb range extender for longer rides and maybe to extend my battery life since Focus doesn't sell bikes in the US anymore and when I need a battery I might have to attempt rebuilding this one.

I was just shocked when I saw that 56 lb weight but did look back in other reviews and saw that all the aluminum bikes with the Bosch setup seem to be right up there too.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Sorry Focus.Maybe next time.
Had shortlisted but not going to spend that sort of money without a decent demo and there is no hope of that so Cube getting my money.Very poor response from the dealers I contacted and a lot of the info on Focus website with contacts was out of date.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its not just Focus, so many of the latest bikes are up over 24kg, carbon or aluminium, its one of the reasons I haven't got a new emtb for a few years, and I am a serial bike buyer, because the only progress I can see from most brands is bikes that look better but not necessarily ride better.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Its not just Focus, so many of the latest bikes are up over 24kg, carbon or aluminium, its one of the reasons I haven't got a new emtb for a few years, and I am a serial bike buyer, because the only progress I can see from most brands is bikes that look better but not necessarily ride better.
Yes unless you go for one of the smaller motor bikes (Specialized or Fazua) with under 40 lb weights and costing $10k. The basic Shimano Jam2 378 wH Focus is a better option. Just run it in ECO mode or turn down ECO to low and you almost have the same bike with the option to have more power instantly if you need it.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Yes I agree, while the motor is said to be about the same as the Shimano, the battery seems to be pretty heavy as you would expect from another 20 cells and maybe better protection from damage. At 20.45 kg with magnesium pedals, CF rims/bars/frame/bottle cage, 2.6"x29" DHF EXO+ and 2.6"X27.5 DHR II EXO+ tires, my carbon Jam2 is just right for me. I can't see hauling another 11 lbs around and have to consider that lardy, lol. But it's all relative I guess. At about 70 kg myself, I can get 30+ miles of riding and 3000 feet of elevation in a single charge of my 378 wH battery. I am working on an inexpensive 158 wH 2 1/2 lb range extender for longer rides and maybe to extend my battery life since Focus doesn't sell bikes in the US anymore and when I need a battery I might have to attempt rebuilding this one.

I was just shocked when I saw that 56 lb weight but did look back in other reviews and saw that all the aluminum bikes with the Bosch setup seem to be right up there too.
Really like the sound of that range extender. I wanted something small like the e-booz that fits in the bottle cage, but after reading reviews about the ebooz (they work ok if you can get them to actually send what you've paid for), I decided against.

I really don't understand how they have managed to make the new Jam2 so heavy. Actually if you compare it to a standard Focus Jam, these are only 14.25Kg. So 6.5Kg for battery (625) and motor means they put 4.5kg extra into the frame??

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Really like the sound of that range extender. I wanted something small like the e-booz that fits in the bottle cage, but after reading reviews about the ebooz (they work ok if you can get them to actually send what you've paid for), I decided against.

I really don't understand how they have managed to make the new Jam2 so heavy. Actually if you compare it to a standard Focus Jam, these are only 14.25Kg. So 6.5Kg for battery (625) and motor means they put 4.5kg extra into the frame??
Don't forget wheel and tire choices add to the weight too, along with another lb for aluminum VS carbon frame. My carbon jam2 comes in at exactly 45 lbs. I put carbon bars on it along with magnesium pedals, heavier EXO+ minion tires, heavier 29" front tire but much lighter Exile+ carbon wheelset, XT cassette, slightly heavier DVO Topaz shock. So overall it's just a tiny bit lighter than stock.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles