Focus Jam2 6.7 Nine

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi Focus thread

I’ve been searching for the ideal trail orientated FS bike and am beginning to think I’ve found it with the Jam2 6.7 Nine

Can any of you that have one share some love for the bike or any reasons to consider others models? I realise there’s a long wait for this mode and probably won’t get one until the summer, even if I’m lucky! Thanks

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Just come back from a short 12 mile road blast on mine just to get out and I had just said to the wife "I love my bike" and saw your post!

Its a Shimano powered model by the way.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Just come back from a short 12 mile road blast on mine just to get out and I had just said to the wife "I love my bike" and saw your post!

Its a Shimano powered model by the way.

Excellent, great to know thanks. I’d be after the Bosch motor as I already have a Bosch powered Cube hard tail so would end up with another battery which would be useful. Also the Shimano motor is now only available in the drifter model which is considerably more expensive

Did you tell your wife you love her too seem as though it’s Valentine’s Day, or just that you love your bike ? ?

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Excellent, great to know thanks. I’d be after the Bosch motor as I already have a Bosch powered Cube hard tail so would end up with another battery which would be useful. Also the Shimano motor is now only available in the drifter model which is considerably more expensive

Did you tell your wife you love her too seem as though it’s Valentine’s Day, or just that you love your bike ? ?
Told her that first so I could go out!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
(By the way the title says Sam2, but you write about a Jam2).

I have a Jam2 29er and I love it to bits. I have had it over two years now and I have really no idea what to replace it with, so until something comes along I'm keeping it.

It has the Shimano motor and I got it with the TEC pack. It was my first emtb, but I test rode about eight different bikes, with different wheel size, travel, motors, number of power modes, gear speed. The Focus was the first one where I just forgot I was riding an e bike and just enjoyed the ride.

I have only had one major problem and that was a charger problem early on. It was easily fixed, but hard to diagnose.
I have had a few other problems, all minor and all to do with bolts not being tight enough or missing the Loctite. They were rear axle, shock mountings, motor to frame, stem to steerer, but you may as well check everything! (You do that anyway with all your new bikes don't you, of course you do! I thought so! ;) )

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
(By the way the title says Sam2, but you write about a Jam2).

I have a Jam2 29er and I love it to bits. I have had it over two years now and I have really no idea what to replace it with, so until something comes along I'm keeping it.

It has the Shimano motor and I got it with the TEC pack. It was my first emtb, but I test rode about eight different bikes, with different wheel size, travel, motors, number of power modes, gear speed. The Focus was the first one where I just forgot I was riding an e bike and just enjoyed the ride.

I have only had one major problem and that was a charger problem early on. It was easily fixed, but hard to diagnose.
I have had a few other problems, all minor and all to do with bolts not being tight enough or missing the Loctite. They were rear axle, shock mountings, motor to frame, stem to steerer, but you may as well check everything! (You do that anyway with all your new bikes don't you, of course you do! I thought so! ;) )

I did indeed mean the Jam2, silly me. I’ll blame spellcheck on my phone but it could be because I was watching that excellent Cut Media produced Sam2 advert with Olly Wilkins beforehand. I can’t see how to edit the title now ?

So I presume the 2019 / 2020 models were made with Shimano motors but now they’ve switched to Bosch, unless you go for the Drifter. I wonder why Focus have done that ?

My closest LBS is a Focus dealer and that has a big appeal to me, and other bikes that compete in the price range are Trek Rail 5, Cube Stereo & Haibike AllMtn 1 or 3. The only problem is I’ve been told at least a six month wait for the Jam2 but then I’m in no rush as I’ve not long had my Cube hardtail so can still have plenty of fun with that. Also my other half is just learning MTB’ing so she won’t be ready to go blasting down some trails just yet

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
So I presume the 2019 / 2020 models were made with Shimano motors but now they’ve switched to Bosch, unless you go for the Drifter. I wonder why Focus have done that ?
The earlier jam2 had Shimano built in 378w battery to make the bike very light. There is an additional tec pack battery that clips on the frame to double capacity for longer rides. The Bosch ones follow the current trend with a removable 625w battery.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The earlier jam2 had Shimano built in 378w battery to make the bike very light. There is an additional tec pack battery that clips on the frame to double capacity for longer rides. The Bosch ones follow the current trend with a removable 625w battery.
I guess that was an aesthetic thing then. The Shimano Focus is a thing of beauty, few would deny. How many of us ignore the beauty of a bike in favour of functionality alone? But that spare battery is like a wart on the face of a beautiful woman and I told myself that I wouldn't see it when I was riding it. :)
Whereas the 625Whr battery is safely hidden. But it's like a colostomy bag, hidden from view but harder to ignore when riding. :(

Even with the TEC pack, my bike is lighter with its 756Whr than most bikes with 500/625 Whr batteries. :)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

I can see the appeal of a lighter emtb. My cube weighs in at 25kg and once you go over that 15.9 mph and the motor cuts out it feels like a tank. I’ve also been doing a lot of cross country on bridleways recently due to lockdown and have to keep lifting the bike over stiles. It gets heavy after a few hours!

If the bike is weighing in at less than 20kg then not only will it be more nimble then I imagine you’d get a similar range out of the battery anyway as there’s less weight for the motor to pull

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Another Focus Jam fan here .Shimano powered. The light weight small battery was the deciding factor....even still its a boooogger to lift over styles and gates but at my age a clockwork bike would not be much better.
No problems in 3 years and 3000miles only now is the internal battery beginning to drop capacity but I have a TEC pack which I use for longer rides and frankly after a few miles I forget its there.
Would I change it???? only when the new Revonte One fully integrated motor/gearbox(NO derailleur) comes along but that might be a while yet.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Another Focus Jam fan here .Shimano powered. The light weight small battery was the deciding factor....even still its a boooogger to lift over styles and gates but at my age a clockwork bike would not be much better.
No problems in 3 years and 3000miles only now is the internal battery beginning to drop capacity but I have a TEC pack which I use for longer rides and frankly after a few miles I forget its there.
Would I change it???? only when the new Revonte One fully integrated motor/gearbox(NO derailleur) comes along but that might be a while yet.

Just been reading about the Revonte One, looks interesting. Technology will move so fast with these e-bikes it’ll be difficult to envisage what we’ll be riding in 5-10 years time

thedrizzle

Dec 21, 2020
Blackburn North
I bought the jam2 6.7 and swapped out a bunch of parts from the bike it replaced. The Bosch motor is excellent much more grunt than the e8000 imo.

I love it, can't go wrong with your choice I reckon.

IMG_20210213_093620.jpg
IMG_20210213_093548.jpg

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I bought the jam2 6.7 and swapped out a bunch of parts from the bike it replaced. The Bosch motor is excellent much more grunt than the e8000 imo.

I love it, can't go wrong with your choice I reckon.

View attachment 53061 View attachment 53062

That’s exactly the model I’m looking at and in the same colour, nice to see it in the flesh (on a photo) rather than just the stock photos on Focus’ website, thanks for posting

£4K seems a lot of money to spend for an MTB, especially as I’ve been riding motorbikes for the last five years and £4K would buy a lot of motorbike on the 2nd hand market. Want to ensure I’m going to appreciate every penny of that amount. Also when you look at the 6.8 for £4.5k or the 6.9 for £5k then you do appear to gain a lot of extra upgrade in spec for not a relatively huge increase in cash. I haven’t crunched the figures but I’m guessing you couldn’t upgrade the 6.7 at a later date to have the FOX 36 forks and XT drivetrain (which the 6.9 comes with) for a grand, whereas if I paid £5k I’d get the all singing all dancing model

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That’s exactly the model I’m looking at and in the same colour, nice to see it in the flesh (on a photo) rather than just the stock photos on Focus’ website, thanks for posting

£4K seems a lot of money to spend for an MTB, especially as I’ve been riding motorbikes for the last five years and £4K would buy a lot of motorbike on the 2nd hand market. Want to ensure I’m going to appreciate every penny of that amount. Also when you look at the 6.8 for £4.5k or the 6.9 for £5k then you do appear to gain a lot of extra upgrade in spec for not a relatively huge increase in cash. I haven’t crunched the figures but I’m guessing you couldn’t upgrade the 6.7 at a later date to have the FOX 36 forks and XT drivetrain (which the 6.9 comes with) for a grand, whereas if I paid £5k I’d get the all singing all dancing model
I'm not sure about the Fox forks, but you can upgrade the Rockshox forks from the Revelation to a Pike and from a Yari to a Lyric. This is done by changing the air spring if it isn't already Debonair and changing the damper to the Charger type instead of the Motion Control type. The air spring upgrade is relatively cheap, the Charger damper is £2-3 hundred depending upon which one you get. But the conversion is dramatically cheaper than changing the fork. If you add some new decals, the conversion is complete.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I'm not sure about the Fox forks, but you can upgrade the Rockshox forks from the Revelation to a Pike and from a Yari to a Lyric. This is done by changing the air spring if it isn't already Debonair and changing the damper to the Charger type instead of the Motion Control type. The air spring upgrade is relatively cheap, the Charger damper is £2-3 hundred depending upon which one you get. But the conversion is dramatically cheaper than changing the fork. If you add some new decals, the conversion is complete.

I'm controversially not a huge fan of decals so I'd save even more cash if I followed your upgrade route and didn't then stick the stickers on :p

emailed a couple of dealers this morning to try and get a timeframe on when they expect to see the next delivery of Jam2's - they both said 2022 :cry:

I have however found a 6.8 plus in stock but I'm not saying where in case I decide to go for it ! Mmm 27.5 or 29 ...

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Mmm dilemma ...

I've been contacting many bike shops regarding the Focus Jam2. Basically the 2021 model appears to be all sold out (apart from the £4.5k 6.8 Plus I mentioned previously) and the 2022 model is not expected to hit the UK shores until at least September / October this year, BUT with an expected price increase of between 10-20% due to inflation / Brexit / Covid etc etc, which will put the bike over my budget

In the search for the Jam2, I have however found a Haibike AllMtn 3 in my size, in stock, local, and immediately available. I wasn't planning on getting another bike right now, but knowing how difficult it is to find these EMTB's in stock, and that prices are forever going upwards, I'm now seriously tempted by the AllMtn 3

I'm typing all this in the vague hope that one of you out there on this forum will just tell me to grab the deal by the balls and go and buy the Haibike :LOL:

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Mmm dilemma ...

I've been contacting many bike shops regarding the Focus Jam2. Basically the 2021 model appears to be all sold out (apart from the £4.5k 6.8 Plus I mentioned previously) and the 2022 model is not expected to hit the UK shores until at least September / October this year, BUT with an expected price increase of between 10-20% due to inflation / Brexit / Covid etc etc, which will put the bike over my budget

In the search for the Jam2, I have however found a Haibike AllMtn 3 in my size, in stock, local, and immediately available. I wasn't planning on getting another bike right now, but knowing how difficult it is to find these EMTB's in stock, and that prices are forever going upwards, I'm now seriously tempted by the AllMtn 3

I'm typing all this in the vague hope that one of you out there on this forum will just tell me to grab the deal by the balls and go and buy the Haibike :LOL:
Your research lead you to the Jam2 being the perfect bike. Where was the Haibike on that list?

So either bite the bullet and splash out on the dearer available Focus if you want to ride one this year.

..... Or go to the local bike shop and actually sit on /touch /feel the Haibike and buy that.

Not very helpful am I ? ?

As a side note, I am a biker as well and recognise your thoughts on what 4K can get you in the motorbike world.
But after buying my Focus, it's worth every penny!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Your research lead you to the Jam2 being the perfect bike. Where was the Haibike on that list?

So either bite the bullet and splash out on the dearer available Focus if you want to ride one this year.

..... Or go to the local bike shop and actually sit on /touch /feel the Haibike and buy that.

Not very helpful am I ? ?

As a side note, I am a biker as well and recognise your thoughts on what 4K can get you in the motorbike world.
But after buying my Focus, it's worth every penny!

Thanks for your input, appreciated

The Haibike wasn’t on the list as it wasn’t really a brand I was aware of. Focus dealer is less than a mile away, and that was one of my main reasons at looking at the Jam2. The 6.8 plus that’s available however is over 200 miles away so either a long drive or £100 carriage extra

Now I’ve been looking at & researching the Allmtn 3 I’m quite tempted ! At the end of the day there’s loads of great bikes available between £4-5k it’s just finding them in stock. Shame we can’t try before we buy, damn Covid

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
Quite a dilemma there. I have a 2020 Jam2 6.7 that I bought at the end of October last year. It may well have been the last one in the UK. It's a Gen 4 Bosch with the 625 powertube battery and it's absolutely brilliant. I had a number of bikes on my 'shortlist' and was really looking for a 2021 model either Focus of Cube (which was top of the list) and I did like the look (on paper) of some of the new Haibike products but was told delivery was likely to be August 2021. I'd contacted a number of bike shops nearby(ish) and was waiting to see what became available and took the Focus because it was available. It turned out a bike shop I'd overlooked about 30 miles away had one left and when I found out I got straight in the car and went and got it. In fact I had offers of a Cube Stereo 140 and a Giant waiting for delivery and both came in a couple of months later. If I'd had the option I would have gone one up and bought the Focus 6.8 which is pretty good value but I don't regret spending £4k on the one I got.
Coincidentally I also have a Cube hardtail - the Reaction Hybrid Pro with Gen 2 Bosch. There's a huge difference between the performance of the two motors and much more drag on the Gen2 when not under power. You really will notice the difference.
The Focus has now done about 1200 miles and the only problem I've had is the battery lock keeps sticking and it will have to go back to get that fixed sometime. The only things I've changed are the pedals, the hand grips (the standard ones were far too hard for me) and the saddle (the original one was incredibly uncomfortable).
If you can get a Focus you won't regret it.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Quite a dilemma there. I have a 2020 Jam2 6.7 that I bought at the end of October last year. It may well have been the last one in the UK. It's a Gen 4 Bosch with the 625 powertube battery and it's absolutely brilliant. I had a number of bikes on my 'shortlist' and was really looking for a 2021 model either Focus of Cube (which was top of the list) and I did like the look (on paper) of some of the new Haibike products but was told delivery was likely to be August 2021. I'd contacted a number of bike shops nearby(ish) and was waiting to see what became available and took the Focus because it was available. It turned out a bike shop I'd overlooked about 30 miles away had one left and when I found out I got straight in the car and went and got it. In fact I had offers of a Cube Stereo 140 and a Giant waiting for delivery and both came in a couple of months later. If I'd had the option I would have gone one up and bought the Focus 6.8 which is pretty good value but I don't regret spending £4k on the one I got.
Coincidentally I also have a Cube hardtail - the Reaction Hybrid Pro with Gen 2 Bosch. There's a huge difference between the performance of the two motors and much more drag on the Gen2 when not under power. You really will notice the difference.
The Focus has now done about 1200 miles and the only problem I've had is the battery lock keeps sticking and it will have to go back to get that fixed sometime. The only things I've changed are the pedals, the hand grips (the standard ones were far too hard for me) and the saddle (the original one was incredibly uncomfortable).
If you can get a Focus you won't regret it.

Appreciate your reply @Another rider

I also have a Cube Reaction Pro, but with the Bosch Gen 4 motor. After I decided I wanted to purchase an EMTB I did a little research and decided I wanted a bike with the Bosch Gen 4 motor. This was only last December. I didn’t realise there was an international bike shortage at the time but soon found out the situation when phoning around a visiting local bike shops. Couldn’t find any FS’s in stock but a local shop in York told me they could get hold of the Reaction Pro, so I paid a deposit instantly, had the bike around three weeks later

Now that I have the Cube and realise how awesome the Bosch motor is it has made me want to source an FS ready for the trails this summer, hence looking at the Jam2. I’m also riding with my girlfriend who has only been learning MTB’s since the new year but she’s on an analog hardtail. My thought was to get her on the Cube and I’ll have the full suspension, and we can both be blasting up the hills rather than me waiting at the top al the time. Having said that, I’ve been towing her up the hills this weekend and it’s actually been bloody good fun haha. Also, the Cube is actually handling really well and I’m having an absolute blast on it

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
Appreciate your reply @Another rider

I also have a Cube Reaction Pro, but with the Bosch Gen 4 motor. After I decided I wanted to purchase an EMTB I did a little research and decided I wanted a bike with the Bosch Gen 4 motor. This was only last December. I didn’t realise there was an international bike shortage at the time but soon found out the situation when phoning around a visiting local bike shops. Couldn’t find any FS’s in stock but a local shop in York told me they could get hold of the Reaction Pro, so I paid a deposit instantly, had the bike around three weeks later

Now that I have the Cube and realise how awesome the Bosch motor is it has made me want to source an FS ready for the trails this summer, hence looking at the Jam2. I’m also riding with my girlfriend who has only been learning MTB’s since the new year but she’s on an analog hardtail. My thought was to get her on the Cube and I’ll have the full suspension, and we can both be blasting up the hills rather than me waiting at the top al the time. Having said that, I’ve been towing her up the hills this weekend and it’s actually been bloody good fun haha. Also, the Cube is actually handling really well and I’m having an absolute blast on it
If you have the luxury of being able to wait a while I'd say order the Focus and hopefully you'll get one before summer proper. It's a great bike for the money. You'll really appreciate the FS and extra travel on the front. There's not much else around at that price.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles