First time out on full suspension ebike

Plodder Bob

Apr 4, 2022
Cheshire UK
Hi thought I’d introduce myself . I’m not new to ebikes but am new to full suspension set ups . I’m knocking on a bit 53 years old recovering slowly from a herniated disk issue complicated by degenerative spinal changes . Previously owned a cube reaction pro hardtail EMTB loved it managed 3500km on light trails before my back couldn’t cope . I tried a suntour suspension seatpost which helped a bit but not ideal . Sold the cube now bought a giant trance EX pro level 2 a nice bike last years model 2021 but at a great discount price . I have a few questions as bike was delivered to home address and not set up by shop . Upto now managed a grand total of just 15 mile combined over 3 rides whilst fine tuning set up . I’m surprised at how things have moved on in the 3 years between the 2 bikes . From 400w battery upto 630w on present bike and upto 750 on the latest stuff .The old bike had Bosch motor the Giant is Yamaha and feels far easier to pedal after the 15mph cut off is reached , not sure why though ? That said I prefer the old LCD display on the cube not a fan at the basic giant control with just white LEDs that a hard to see in bright day light . Really don’t like having to mount my phone on the handlebar to see range / power mode / cadence etc . I do really like the dropper post , I had always considered them a gimmick but not now I’m converted ! i‘m less unsure if going tubeless is worth the hassle , although the bike says it’s tubeless ready and even comes with bottles of goo , I suspect it isn’t really tubeless ready at all as the valve cores don’t remove so I assume I need different tyre valves and rim tape maybe ? In the 3 years of ownership of my old bike I can remember 3 punctures on my tubed tyres and only needing recovery once due to riding over a broken off Stanley knife blade ! Someone convince me tubeless is the future I’m not so sure although I can see the benefit of reduced air pressure making it easier on my back ? I have more questions related specifically to my new bike but will take them over to the Giant specific pages . Thanks for reading any advice gratefully received! Cheers Bob

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Welcome. Can't comment too much on the Giant as my only experience was testing older models before going with a Scott.
I have seen a couple guys on Giants with Garmin units so I guess they connect.

When I had my Levo I always paired it with my phone, but the Spesh app used to drain my phone battery at a rate that a full phone charge would not last a full 700wh battery. I think this was an app issue as could use other apps no issue.

As far as tubeless goes - to each his/her own. Me, I change tires constantly depending where I am riding so stay well away from it. I also always found no real advantage as I don't get many flats and don't like running low pressure as I hate the bike moving around on the sidewall - prefer to feel what the knobs are doing, which gets masked. As far as rolling resistance with like pressure - found running a battery from full to running flat I only gained a few metres more on exactly the same easy trail. Heck, I have had more range difference on a windy day.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Well, I am a fan of tubeless, I have to admit, but I'll just tell you why. Not long after I converted to tubeless, I was riding to a hospital appointment when I heard the dreaded HISSSS... But within two rotations of the tyre it had stopped and I carried on my way. I know for a fact that, had I been running tubes, that would have been a hurried and sweaty tube change, possibly making me late for my appointment (something that had previously happened to me, when running tubes and on my way to an important meeting). In the time that I have been running tubeless, which I think was late 2018, I have only had 3 punctures that needed repairing and 1 where I couldn't repair and had to fit my emergency tube, to get me home. To give you an idea of mileage, I have two bikes and in one year on one bike I rode over 5,000 miles. That's a pretty good puncture-per-mile ratio, with a real mix of riding conditions too. I won't lie though, it can be a pain in the ass to set up, especially when you are learning it, and it can be messy too. That said, I wouldn't go back now. Having done tubeless setups hundreds of times now (for work), I rarely ever have a tyre/rim combo that doesn't set up first time. For info, I use the Muc-Off tubeless tape, valves, and sealant, but there are a great many other options available. My only advice would be, don't buy cheap. If you have any questions, just give me a shout.

Plodder Bob

Apr 4, 2022
Cheshire UK
Welcome. Can't comment too much on the Giant as my only experience was testing older models before going with a Scott.
I have seen a couple guys on Giants with Garmin units so I guess they connect.

When I had my Levo I always paired it with my phone, but the Spesh app used to drain my phone battery at a rate that a full phone charge would not last a full 700wh battery. I think this was an app issue as could use other apps no issue.

As far as tubeless goes - to each his/her own. Me, I change tires constantly depending where I am riding so stay well away from it. I also always found no real advantage as I don't get many flats and don't like running low pressure as I hate the bike moving around on the sidewall - prefer to feel what the knobs are doing, which gets masked. As far as rolling resistance with like pressure - found running a battery from full to running flat I only gained a few metres more on exactly the same easy trail. Heck, I have had more range difference on a windy day.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post the giant will connect to my phone no problem I’m just not happy having my phone exposed to the elements and potential damage whilst in use . Undecided over going tubeless I don’t change tyres at all however dropping pressures would probably ease my back condition further so maybe worth a go ? I previously owned a Scott analogue bike it was a fab bike with a great spec but the colour scheme on the frame was awful - Barbie pink / navy blue and pearlescent white ! Never seen anything like it since ! 😂

Plodder Bob

Apr 4, 2022
Cheshire UK
Well, I am a fan of tubeless, I have to admit, but I'll just tell you why. Not long after I converted to tubeless, I was riding to a hospital appointment when I heard the dreaded HISSSS... But within two rotations of the tyre it had stopped and I carried on my way. I know for a fact that, had I been running tubes, that would have been a hurried and sweaty tube change, possibly making me late for my appointment (something that had previously happened to me, when running tubes and on my way to an important meeting). In the time that I have been running tubeless, which I think was late 2018, I have only had 3 punctures that needed repairing and 1 where I couldn't repair and had to fit my emergency tube, to get me home. To give you an idea of mileage, I have two bikes and in one year on one bike I rode over 5,000 miles. That's a pretty good puncture-per-mile ratio, with a real mix of riding conditions too. I won't lie though, it can be a pain in the ass to set up, especially when you are learning it, and it can be messy too. That said, I wouldn't go back now. Having done tubeless setups hundreds of times now (for work), I rarely ever have a tyre/rim combo that doesn't set up first time. For info, I use the Muc-Off tubeless tape, valves, and sealant, but there are a great many other options available. My only advice would be, don't buy cheap. If you have any questions, just give me a shout.
Hi thanks for the reply and advice . I have theGiant recommended sealant , just need the valves and rim tape I think . I have seen the muc off kit ,was slightly put off as Giant only recommend their own sealant or Stans . Some of the stans stuff seems prone to drying out and clogging valves up ( from what I have read on forum ) . So will probably just buy muc off valves and rim tape and use giant sealant . If I’m going to try it I guess I’m better doing it sooner whilst everything is still clean

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
but the colour scheme on the frame was awful - Barbie pink / navy blue and pearlescent white ! Never seen anything like it since ! 😂

LMAO - back in the 80's my MX sponsor had a kit made of Barbie Pink & Light Grey. My wife laughed so much I refused to race with it. Pretty sure they are still on display somewhere with abig RUSTY on the butt patch :oops:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles