First time emtb owner here. What tyre set up are you riders running for the UK winter (Mullet set up.)

MEX72

Dec 29, 2023
North Yorkshire
Hello everyone!

Just picked up a 22 Specialized turbo levo comp with a mullet set up. I'm looking to swap the tyres out straightaway and wondered what's a good tyre combo for our wet and muddy UK winters?

Previously ran a Magic Mary/Maxxis DHR previously on a normal bike. Thanks.

Dave 80

Oct 17, 2019
UK
Black knobbly ones and high pressure for the road, let out a bit for the trails. Pump up again for the ride home.

Orange Squeeze test for getting the right pressure :)

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
After many reviews here, I’ve stuck a pair of Specialized Canibals on for the UK (Scottish) winter. So far I’ve only managed a couple of rides, but they seem to give great grip on wet roots and rocks. They look thinner from the rider position than my usual Michelin Wilds… but I think they’re 2.3 instead of 2.4.

MEX72

Dec 29, 2023
North Yorkshire
After many reviews here, I’ve stuck a pair of Specialized Canibals on for the UK (Scottish) winter. So far I’ve only managed a couple of rides, but they seem to give great grip on wet roots and rocks. They look thinner from the rider position than my usual Michelin Wilds… but I think they’re 2.3 instead of 2.4.
I've ordered a Hill Billy for up front, not ordered for rear yet will give them a look up also thanks.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Thank you! Hill Billy seems to get great reviews and a decent price

I am trying one on the front and so far it's good. Trying a hillbilly on the rear also but too early to comment on that though. Both T9 gravity.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
On the e can can get away with thicker wall and gripper tires.

If you like dhr/ magic combo then that would be the first place to start. I'd run the dhr in dd casing max terra compound and the extra soft compound up front.

I'm running big Betty 2.6 supergravity on the rear and assgai 2.5 max grip either dd or exo+ on the front. That's a pretty aggressive set up for aggressive riding and terrain.

Big Betty gives better uphill traction in slippery and steep conditions compared to dhr, dhr is better in harder packed terrain.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Assegai EXO+ max grip up front............Maxxis DD Max grip Shortie on the back ( replaced a DHR11 which is a great tyre but not in muddy conditions).

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Swap them round and you might stand a chance...

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Argotal / kryptotal one one bike
Magic Mary x 2 on another
Argotal / Bontrager xr5 on another
Assegai / DHR2 on the last one.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The shorty is way too aggressive a tyre to use on the rear with anything other than another Shorty, a Wet Scream or similar super aggressive wet weather tyre.

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
The Assegai on the front has been OK so far but if I need to change it out I have a new Michelin Wild Enduro (front) which will do the job.

I've an assguy on the front of my NP Mega 290 (not mulllet) and when thae assguy is worn have a wild enduro to replace it, hopefully it's a good choice 🤞

also running a dissector rear (although maybe not a great wet / mud tyre?) - nearly all ridden in BPW🙃

Rich.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Typically MM/Butcher or Shorty/MM, depending how wet the winter is.

MM is my preference really.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
After 4 winters on various MM I shelled out for a Shorty. Holy crap! What a difference. If you only ever fit one front tyre then the MM is probably the best all year tyre out there, but the Shorty is definitely a superior slop tyre.

novaboy6

Jul 16, 2023
Scotland
In the summer it’s Maxxi Assgai 2.6, now it’s winder here in the borders it’s just wet slop so I’ve switches to Eddy Current 2.6 front and rear. Love them.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
First ride today with a new Max Grip DD Shortie on the back.............still Assegai on the front. Really impressed! I ride mostly in the forests and whilst far cleaner than elsewhere trail conditions are soft and lots of roots get exposed. A key requirement in the forest is to have effective braking on twisty descents, good grip on the climbs plus avoiding wash out on the roots. Forestry England are in the process of felling trees in one of our local forests and their tracked machines are making a heck of mess everywhere with even gravel fireroads all but destroyed. The bike had to make it through some of that as well today.
The bad news was that several of the trails are either completely destroyed or completely covered in the branches etc cleaned off the logs which are stacked for collection. Lots of trail work to do in the coming months.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
UK winter is basically the same as summer but 15c cooler.
Unless you live in scotland then the terrain is about the same as when it was raining in the summer

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles