First Error Message :(

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I'm using BLEvo these days, and noticed this message in Mission Control today . Its always a few minutes between turning off and removing the battery.

Should I be worried?

1586459487641.jpeg

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Do you get error lights come up On cpu ? Mine does . Then off and back on is usually fine after just displays that msg in mission control.

Yes, usually when I have inserted the battery (I take it out and keep it in the house). Off and on again, TCU is fine and error shows on Mission Control.

I would not know anything about it as BLEvo doesn't show error's, so went into MC once I saw the flashing lights.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Mine has been doing it for about three weeks . Probably a couple of times a week . When i turn it on it has a red and blue flashing lights. I turn it off . Back on . and it's fine .

That's exactly what mine has done, only twice though. I think the fact that the message can be dismissed might indicate that its not a serious issue. It would be good to know what causes it and how to stop it.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Me too, nothing we can do until this Corona thing is over.

I'll keep riding, my daily exercise, can't go far anyway, so will be able to get home without power if anything does happen.

If @Specialized Rider Care read this, perhaps they could advise?

Hi @NULevo - thanks for asking. This is a warning rather than an error, it's coming from the motor - the motor is effectively telling you that it didn't get an official message from the TCU to switch off before the 36V supply from the battery was lost. This could be for a few reasons: -

1) You unplugged the battery connector to charge the bike without turning the bike off first.

2) The connector to the battery was removed slightly whilst riding - hit by a stone/stick or perhaps some dirt/grit is stuck in the connector.

3) There is damage or water-based short-circuit to a cable - most likely the main power cable between the battery and motor.

By far the most likely is 1. However this is almost certainly going to happen when you stop at home and display the next time you turn the bike on. 2 is most likely to happen on a ride with some form of associated movement/impact whereas 3 will be happening more intermittently and may be accompanied by other errors where retailers will have more detailed insights.

Trust that makes sense. @NULevo I'll PM you for your serial number, it may be I can see more on the back-end but please anyone feel free to comment on this thread if you have more detail about when these errors are shown and what you feel was the driver.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Hi @NULevo - thanks for asking. This is a warning rather than an error, it's coming from the motor - the motor is effectively telling you that it didn't get an official message from the TCU to switch off before the 36V supply from the battery was lost. This could be for a few reasons: -

1) You unplugged the battery connector to charge the bike without turning the bike off first.

2) The connector to the battery was removed slightly whilst riding - hit by a stone/stick or perhaps some dirt/grit is stuck in the connector.

3) There is damage or water-based short-circuit to a cable - most likely the main power cable between the battery and motor.

By far the most likely is 1. However this is almost certainly going to happen when you stop at home and display the next time you turn the bike on. 2 is most likely to happen on a ride with some form of associated movement/impact whereas 3 will be happening more intermittently and may be accompanied by other errors where retailers will have more detailed insights.

Trust that makes sense. @NULevo I'll PM you for your serial number, it may be I can see more on the back-end but please anyone feel free to comment on this thread if you have more detail about when these errors are shown and what you feel was the driver.

Thanks @Specialized Rider Care, I will send the details in the morning - I've been out for a ride!

No error message when I checked MC, although I am concerned about another issue, I'll send you everything tomorrow.

I really appreciate your getting in touch.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO

@Specialized Rider Care I think I have identical issue as OP on my 2020 Levo Comp. Firstly it started couple of weeks since owning the bike (about 6 months ago) as red/blue leds flashing right after starting the bike and after rebooting everything worked fine. This error keep happening every now and then and every time after reboot the bike worked fine, also I checked in MC app while having this error and status was shown as healthy, no error or warning, so did not look as a big issue. But lately when I get this same flashing lights I also get this error/warning in MC app, I guess now it shows because MC app has been updated to include some new diagnostic features/warnings/errors.
Regarding your 3 possible reasons for this error I must say with me the reason 1) is most unlikely, I'm quite OCD regarding the bike and everytime I disconnect the battery I make sure the bike is turned off, also in 99% cases I don't charge the bike right after the ride and after about 10-15min of idling the bike will shut off automatically anyways ...
Reason 2): I had a few smaller hits by stones/sticks in that area, nothing critical that it would make battery disconnect while riding or make a visible damage to connector cover. Also the connector sits firmly in the battery socket, both sides of connector are perfectly clean and dry, I can say almost like when was new, so this reason is IMHO also quite unlikely.
Reason 3): is by my opinion most likely. Although a "water-based short-circuit to a cable" is not likely in my case, because when I firstly got this flashing lights error the bike has never been riden in wet neither been cleaned by water. In my country weather is not nearly as wet as in UK, in 6 months I have never riden it when raining or when roads were wet, only wet it gets when exposed to some moderate mud and small puddles ... I think the problem has to be within a cable, probably some inconsistency in connection or cable itself. I haven't yet opened the motor cover to see in what condition is the connector on the motor side, but I'm starting to worry that some day it will just not turn on anymore or even show error while riding and won't turn back on leaving me in the middle of nowhere ... and now when LBS are closed due coronacrisis - and it may stay that way for a while - it's even more frustrating not having proper support ...

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Mine will be the same as you guys, as my bike has not been ridden in the wet since the cable was changed to v3 and it's free service at Specialized Concept Store. The advised me then that there had been no water in the motor bay and it was bone dry (I used mudguards and made a cover to go over the rear pivot when riding in wet/buddy conditions).

I've sent the requested details to @Specialized Rider Care as requested, lets see how we get on. On the positive side, at least we are still able to ride, even with the error message.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I have a Turbo Levo 2020 base model.

During this wet winter, I began to have trouble turning the bike on (300km odometer)
Finally I got tired of removing the main power cable, blowing it dry, so I could continue.
It was ofcourse the main power cable that was defect, and I finally took the time to get it replaced by the locale Spezialized dealer (+2 weeks repair time, so I was happy to use the wife's Focus Jam2).

Some days ago I turned it on, just to find the red/blue error light on the TCU.
Turned it off/on and it was good to go...strange I thought....but happy.

I normally dont use MissionControl...just to make adjustments when needed.
Yesterday I made some adjustments via MC, and there was some error messages, which seems to arrive constantly after been acknowledged....they just keep coming and dosent make any sence.

Error code 4+5+6+19+35.

I allways turns the bike off when arriving to my garden gate.
It rides just fine....but just strange with the constant error messages :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles