First emtb- carbon or hydro?

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
hi all
Im looking for a new bike, electric this time. Im really into the rise. Im 6’3 tall and need XL frame.

my problem is deciding whether to get the M20, M20 LT or H15. Im inclined towards the 150mm available in my area only for the LT and H.
problem is that M20 (with 140mm fork) is available together with the H15 by end of next week.
So it’s a tough call , and I really don’t want to wait 5-6 months now for the LT.

I read so many positive reviews that says 150mm is a must for this bike, which is my first concern going with the M20.
My second concern is total weight of the bike. Being XL it’s even more noticeable. I read online that M20 is 19kg in XL, and found the H15 in L is 20.5kg. So I expect the XL to be even heavier (21kg?)

im afraid with the hydro being quite close in weight to full fat bikes, feeling heavier during the ride compared to the carbon versions, after all I’m used to me current 15kg analog bike.
If maybe to add some about my style - normally I don’t jump high off the ground or take high risks during rides, my bike today is equipped with a 140mm 36 fork.
Im mainly convincing myself I should get the 150mm just because it’s almost a unanimous opinion over each and every review I read online, that it’s a must have upgrade.

Id be glad to get some feedback and recommendations, just one thing to point out is that it’s hard to get aftermarket forks, and becomes even more expensive than just purchasing it prebuilt from the shop

Last edited:

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I am also 6'3" - 81kg and ride an XL m20. My m20 has since been upgraded in every way possible, and I am running a 160mm fox 36 on the front. If you are a hard charger, I would say that the 150-160mm fox 36 is the way forward. I bought my m20 because of the availability of it, and knew I'd be swapping all of the parts.

My m20 now weighs 20kg, but I'm running a very burly setup, cushcore pro, 1200g tires front/rear and a ~1900g wheelset. I could easily have changed a few of the parts out and gotten down to ~19.2kg but i ride too hard for that.

I digress... my buddy has a large h15 so I have had some time messing with both bikes. I would say, don't let the weight of the H series put you off. When I ride both bikes around, I barely notice any weight differences between the two. His battery is noticeably bigger and he gets 20% more range then I do when we ride together.

Overall, If I were in your shoes, I'd get an h15 and be happy with my choices. If i were buying again, I'd likely go that route, but the H series wasn't available when I bought mine. As as point of reference, I too ride an analog bike that is 15.8kg and have another that is 13kg. I don't notice much different in weight, while riding the bike, between my 15.8kg analog and my 19.2kg rise. I notice how it's a bit harder to get the back of the bike off the ground when I'm trying to really jump the heck out of the thing, but overall, it's not something that comes up unless I'm trying to get the wheels over 60cm off the ground or more.

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
Overall, If I were in your shoes, I'd get an h15 and be happy with my choices. If i were buying again, I'd likely go that route, but the H series wasn't available when I bought mine. As as point of reference, I too ride an analog bike that is 15.8kg and have another that is 13kg. I don't notice much different in weight, while riding the bike, between my 15.8kg analog and my 19.2kg rise. I notice how it's a bit harder to get the back of the bike off the ground when I'm trying to really jump the heck out of the thing, but overall, it's not something that comes up unless I'm trying to get the wheels over 60cm off the ground or more.

The new H series is so confusing :)
Because its not that they just took the previous carbon models and swapped to alloy to reduce costs, they also improved stuff.
Better battery, better fork (36 150 instead of 34 140, atleast which is available in my region), some of the parts like derailers or cassette I think are also better (XT, not SLX).. not sure how critical the last pieces are, though it is another difference.
I suspect the rear suspension is also better? It also comes with evol.

So just to be certain, are you saying you'd rather just get the H because it wouldn't need the upgrade of the fork (if one can be satisfied with "only" the performance model instead of the superior kashima coated one), and enjoy the battery even though the added 2kg weight?

BTW Im about 90kg :) I guess slightly wider than you
Are there online stores shipping globally fox suspension forks? I wonder whether its even an option I should consider.

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
I had a same dilemma and went with the H15. My bud has the M10 which I was also considering, but the larger battery was a strong selling point for the H15. I am 230 lbs and wanted the extra range as I didnt feel the M would get me a full 25-30 mile day on trail mode with the occasional boost. And I was pretty spot on. I can do about 25 miles/3000 ft elevation with about 1-1.5 bars left. My buddy with the M10 who is substantially lighter than me ran out of juice on the way back to the trailhead. The range alone makes it a better choice.

In terms of H15 vs M20, I agree the Fox 36 is a way better match for this bike (carbon or alloy). The 34 gives a good weight spec, but for me is too little fork for a relatively heavy bike + heavy rider + the terrain I ride.

Both can use better brakes (had mine swapped with Deore 4 piston calipers and larger rotors - glad I did). Can compare the DPS vs Float X on the H15, but by all accounts the Float X should be a better shock. Low and high speed compression on both the Float 36 and Float X are great out of the box on the H15.

My short advice is if your rides are less than 20 miles and you favor every bit of agility from weight savings go with the M20. If you think you'll have range anxiety and will be held back by a 34 fork then get the H15.

Another option is the M10 + extender, but costs more and probably weighs about the same as the stock H15.

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
I had a same dilemma and went with the H15. My bud has the M10 which I was also considering, but the larger battery was a strong selling point for the H15. I am 230 lbs and wanted the extra range as I didnt feel the M would get me a full 25-30 mile day on trail mode with the occasional boost. And I was pretty spot on. I can do about 25 miles/3000 ft elevation with about 1-1.5 bars left. My buddy with the M10 who is substantially lighter than me ran out of juice on the way back to the trailhead. The range alone makes it a better choice.

Your opinion is heavily steering my decision here.
Do you feel anything from carbon vs alloy frame during the ride?
Many claim that the experience from carbon is different. I never had the opportunity to feel a carbon frame. is it really a gap that exist?

Re range, so far I heard better range results.
With my analog bike I do 20km at the very least, but even go for 30-40km when in good shape.
I suspect that with electric bike it will be very common for me to go to that 30-40km range at least, since I'll want to burn same calories as before, and with engine I suspect I'll work less :sneaky:

If by being on the heavier scale (90kg+-) means I would only get 40km, thats disappointing a bit.
Getting the extender is not an option to me, if I do that I could very well just get the H, and get it "builtin", right?
I cant justify buying M10. Its more money than Im willing to spend on a bike. My max point is the M21-LT. and it comes with 1800$ difference than the H15. but if that means I'll drain almost the entire battery..... Are you sure these are the numbers? Was it using only trail+boost? Did you try eco?
Im still keeping myself the saint thought that.. "sure, Ill ride eco all the time, just for a bit of added juice to compensate", "Im here for the workout too". On eco I think the range should be about 60km easy. No?

The H15 sits well in my mind regarding costs, maybe I shouldnt be too worried about future sale price in second market for an alloy bike, where most of the bikes nowadays are carbon. It leads me to think that if thinking about the day I sell, I should get the carbon frame since it will likely keep it price better.

Last edited:

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
Unfortunately I dont have more than a parking lot test ride on the carbon M10 so cant speak to how it feels compared to the alloy. Except for the ep8 rattle here and there the H15 is solid and quiet. I imagine tires have more impact than frame material but carbon does have an inherent damping effect.

I would say with your weight you should clear 40km with 3000+ ft elevation using trail mode on the H15. That's about what I was able to get with about 20% battery left. ECO should double that. All in all I am about 35km/1350 meters on the first charge (depleted), and 40 km/1000 ft with about 20% left. This is all profile 2 (more powerful profile) out of the box.

I did do a few miles on eco on my first ride and it's good for flowy trails where you can pump a bit to accelerate. I wouldn't count on using ECO full time as you will be wanting to unleash what the bike is meant to do.

Going faster is more fun > more fun means more time on the bike > more time on the bike means more of a workout.

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
What’s the M20 LT ?
Basically m20 with the m10’s fork (36 150mm kashima)

Unfortunately I dont have more than a parking lot test ride on the carbon M10 so cant speak to how it feels compared to the alloy. Except for the ep8 rattle here and there the H15 is solid and quiet. I imagine tires have more impact than frame material but carbon does have an inherent damping effect.

I would say with your weight you should clear 40km with 3000+ ft elevation using trail mode on the H15. That's about what I was able to get with about 20% battery left. ECO should double that. All in all I am about 35km/1350 meters on the first charge (depleted), and 40 km/1000 ft with about 20% left. This is all profile 2 (more powerful profile) out of the box.

I did do a few miles on eco on my first ride and it's good for flowy trails where you can pump a bit to accelerate. I wouldn't count on using ECO full time as you will be wanting to unleash what the bike is meant to do.

Going faster is more fun > more fun means more time on the bike > more time on the bike means more of a workout.

Thanks for the advice. Those kind of thoughts I have such as “only eco” are since I’m still new to this and didn’t gain any experience so far with an emtb.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
The differences in the weights of the frames are a few hundred grams. It's the battery that accounts for most of the incresed weight. Do you want the extra range a bigger battery provides? If you'd likely have the extender on the *M* all the time then just get the H. Everything else can be swapped out over time.

You won't just ride in eco.

Gordon

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Basically m20 with the m10’s fork (36 150mm kashima)

Aah, that’s what I’ve ordered then and collect in a couple of days 😀👍🏼

I’m currently on a full fat with Bosch motor and 625 battery and my partner is on an M20 Rise and she often finishes a ride with more battery power left than me!

The only time she ran out of juice is when we went on a 45km xc ride and she simply pedalled the remaining few km with no power and no issues

mvtomas

Dec 12, 2021
Seattle WA area
Have 2 weeks of ride time on my H15. Handles great and impressed overall. Boost mode is usually too much. Eco and Trail most of the time. Peddles like a heavy enduro bike with "E" off. Brakes will be upgraded to 4 pistons and larger rotors because the shortcomings of the stock brake set up is apparent on long downhill runs. Saddle needs to go too. The Fox 36 fork is a good match for this bike. Rode about 30 miles before charge needed.

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
Thanks guys.
Sounds like I should go with the H.
I dont know whether Ill be using each and every time all the battery (or say, more than 360kwh of it), but it is good to have that spare, plus the better parts compared to the M20

I have never tried a carbon frame. People says its dampening effect is noticed and well worth it, but the decision here is not so simple since the H isn't really a weaker version of the M, but a whole different package (in my opinion). I think if it had the same battery size I wouldn't be so conflicted, but it does rattles the boat a bit...
Also the fact that everyone keeps saying I wont be riding just eco, so thats another reason :)

Im usually heading out with the bike from my home, so thats always 15-20 (roundtrip) km just to get to the trails around here.
The whole purpose for me to get an ebike is also to minimize that effort of always reaching to a trail tired, but if 15-20 km on trail mode is already going to eat up (according to the claims above, anyway) about 30-40%, that doesnt leave me alot for the trails.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
- The Alloy rise is 1.6kg heavier than carbon like for like. 1.1kg is the frame, 500g is the battery.
- The float x shock and 36 vs 35 account for around 450g extra weight if I recall.
- The 36 performance is a great fork and for average riders is no worse than the factory with grip 2 damper, although you larger chaps might benefit from the extra tuneability but it's very expensive.
- I would recommend alloy all the way - why do you buy an ebike and not a regular bike? 1) To go uphill more easily - alloy has bigger battery by 50% 2) to go downhill more easily - alloy has better fork and MUCH better shock.
- Carbon with range extender is only a couple hundred grams lighter than alloy, but costs massively more.
- Alloy is a no brainer and I have read dozens saying if they alloy had been out last year they would not have bought carbon.
- I also trust the strength of alloy much more but that is a whole different story - just imo.

Paddypower

Mar 31, 2022
Yorkshire
hi all
Im looking for a new bike, electric this time. Im really into the rise. Im 6’3 tall and need XL frame.

my problem is deciding whether to get the M20, M20 LT or H15. Im inclined towards the 150mm available in my area only for the LT and H.
problem is that M20 (with 140mm fork) is available together with the H15 by end of next week.
So it’s a tough call , and I really don’t want to wait 5-6 months now for the LT.

I read so many positive reviews that says 150mm is a must for this bike, which is my first concern going with the M20.
My second concern is total weight of the bike. Being XL it’s even more noticeable. I read online that M20 is 19kg in XL, and found the H15 in L is 20.5kg. So I expect the XL to be even heavier (21kg?)

im afraid with the hydro being quite close in weight to full fat bikes, feeling heavier during the ride compared to the carbon versions, after all I’m used to me current 15kg analog bike.
If maybe to add some about my style - normally I don’t jump high off the ground or take high risks during rides, my bike today is equipped with a 140mm 36 fork.
Im mainly convincing myself I should get the 150mm just because it’s almost a unanimous opinion over each and every review I read online, that it’s a must have upgrade.

Id be glad to get some feedback and recommendations, just one thing to point out is that it’s hard to get aftermarket forks, and becomes even more expensive than just purchasing it prebuilt from the shop

Paddypower

Mar 31, 2022
Yorkshire
I have the same dilemma H30 or M20… ???however…. I’m more interested in how they both ride with the motor off?
I had a specialized levo FF and that was an absolute tank to ride home if the battery ran out of juice or suffered motor battery problems which was a common occurrence in my experience!!
Just wondered if the overall weight difference of 1.5kg to 2kg ish …difference is very noticeable??

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
Settled on the aluminium one eventually. Should have it by next month :eek:.
Both for the range, for the money savings (I probalby wont notice the difference between the 150mm forks), and all the other very good reasons provided here above. It just makes sense.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Settled on the aluminium one eventually. Should have it by next month :eek:.
Both for the range, for the money savings (I probalby wont notice the difference between the 150mm forks), and all the other very good reasons provided here above. It just makes sense.

Hello there, be really interested in your thoughts when you have had a few rides if you don't mind. I'm in a similar situation to yourself - don't fancy full fat but like the concept of the Rise - was going with the H15 but still not decided.

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
- The Alloy rise is 1.6kg heavier than carbon like for like. 1.1kg is the frame, 500g is the battery.
- The float x shock and 36 vs 35 account for around 450g extra weight if I recall.
- The 36 performance is a great fork and for average riders is no worse than the factory with grip 2 damper, although you larger chaps might benefit from the extra tuneability but it's very expensive.
- I would recommend alloy all the way - why do you buy an ebike and not a regular bike? 1) To go uphill more easily - alloy has bigger battery by 50% 2) to go downhill more easily - alloy has better fork and MUCH better shock.
- Carbon with range extender is only a couple hundred grams lighter than alloy, but costs massively more.
- Alloy is a no brainer and I have read dozens saying if they alloy had been out last year they would not have bought carbon.
- I also trust the strength of alloy much more but that is a whole different story - just imo.
Did you get your bike already?
I saw the other thread similar to mine where you really advocated for the hydro one. I wonder if you got your hydro and also whether you test driven both m and h?
if so what was your impressions?
Overall you are right on your above comment, I haven’t checked the weights but I guess the H XL with better tyres (I read awful comments on the rekon, so XL H with she/dhr would be even heavier) will be close to some FF out there in weight and maybe feeling.
Others claims the extra weight makes the bike feel less joyful and easy to maneuver, I wonder how bad it is.
But eventually M20 with good 150mm fork is just expensive, and I am concerned the overall weight (90kg without gear such as helmet and water) will simply kill the range of the 360kwh battery. Someone above did say something true that I shouldn’t plan ahead that I’ll be using only eco and I guess that is a decision that might be very limiting.

Hello there, be really interested in your thoughts when you have had a few rides if you don't mind. I'm in a similar situation to yourself - don't fancy full fat but like the concept of the Rise - was going with the H15 but still not decided.
Sure thing. I won’t disappear from here so quickly 😁
At the moment have an open order for H15 but still wondering if that’s the best choice. So hard to decide…

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
Did you get your bike already?
I saw the other thread similar to mine where you really advocated for the hydro one. I wonder if you got your hydro and also whether you test driven both m and h?
if so what was your impressions?
Overall you are right on your above comment, I haven’t checked the weights but I guess the H XL with better tyres (I read awful comments on the rekon, so XL H with she/dhr would be even heavier) will be close to some FF out there in weight and maybe feeling.
Others claims the extra weight makes the bike feel less joyful and easy to maneuver, I wonder how bad it is.
But eventually M20 with good 150mm fork is just expensive, and I am concerned the overall weight (90kg without gear such as helmet and water) will simply kill the range of the 360kwh battery. Someone above did say something true that I shouldn’t plan ahead that I’ll be using only eco and I guess that is a decision that might be very limiting.

Sure thing. I won’t disappear from here so quickly 😁
At the moment have an open order for H15 but still wondering if that’s the best choice. So hard to decide…

Alas I do not have my alloy rise yet. I rode around a car park in an h30, that's it. And lifted up an h30 and an m20 in the shop. My assessment is all theory then but I have spent more time thinking about this and reading every piece of material I can get my hands on, and I am sure the alloy is the way to go unless you want the absolute lightest machine possible and you don't have battery anxiety. Many people with the carbon claim "I bough the extender but never needed it, did 30 miles and 1000m climbing and wasn't even in the red" then the comment says "rode mostly in eco". Well that's it. If you want any range in the carbon you need to reduce the power. The alloy gives you the option. A much more flexible machine with only one downside of a bit more weight (which matters way less on an ebike) vs significant advantages of price, range, more boost, confidence in the frame (I am not a carbon fan) and if h15 vs m20 a better shock and fork, so it's better going down and up.

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
Alas I do not have my alloy rise yet. I rode around a car park in an h30, that's it. And lifted up an h30 and an m20 in the shop. My assessment is all theory then but I have spent more time thinking about this and reading every piece of material I can get my hands on, and I am sure the alloy is the way to go unless you want the absolute lightest machine possible and you don't have battery anxiety. Many people with the carbon claim "I bough the extender but never needed it, did 30 miles and 1000m climbing and wasn't even in the red" then the comment says "rode mostly in eco". Well that's it. If you want any range in the carbon you need to reduce the power. The alloy gives you the option. A much more flexible machine with only one downside of a bit more weight (which matters way less on an ebike) vs significant advantages of price, range, more boost, confidence in the frame (I am not a carbon fan) and if h15 vs m20 a better shock and fork, so it's better going down and up.

Did you find info or range comparison? e.g., for a biker of weight xxx with m20 range was X and for h15 range was Y? Is it really 50% more range, or eventually due to other mechanical differences, far less?

Asking because eventually I want to be able at the very least do my normal 40-45km routine, which I used to do when I was in shape on my analog bike. I suspect emtb will increase my desire to ride longer, farther, thus the range I usually do is probably going to be my shortest.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
Did you find info or range comparison? e.g., for a biker of weight xxx with m20 range was X and for h15 range was Y? Is it really 50% more range, or eventually due to other mechanical differences, far less?

Asking because eventually I want to be able at the very least do my normal 40-45km routine, which I used to do when I was in shape on my analog bike. I suspect emtb will increase my desire to ride longer, farther, thus the range I usually do is probably going to be my shortest.

The battery is exactly 50% larger so with the same usage it has to have 50% more range as far as I see it. Stock m20 is just under 2kg lighter than stock h15, which is negligible and won't make any difference to range in real terms. Tyre pressure and temperature will have more of an impact.

shredjim

May 5, 2021
White Salmon, WA
I just rode with my friend today on his new aluminum Rise - it his 3rd e mtn bike. I have had my M10 now for 1 year and have put 1000 miles on it. My bike with the extender on it feels like it weighs the same or a bit more than the aluminum model. I already broke a chain stay and it was a minor crash. Orbea was good on shipping the warranty part in reasonable time, but my bike shop in Portland OR upcharged me on the part price from Orbea and forced me to pay them to install it, as I would have rather done it myself and not pay the labor.

I love my M10, but I'd buy the Aluminum Rise today.

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
I just rode with my friend today on his new aluminum Rise - it his 3rd e mtn bike. I have had my M10 now for 1 year and have put 1000 miles on it. My bike with the extender on it feels like it weighs the same or a bit more than the aluminum model. I already broke a chain stay and it was a minor crash. Orbea was good on shipping the warranty part in reasonable time, but my bike shop in Portland OR upcharged me on the part price from Orbea and forced me to pay them to install it, as I would have rather done it myself and not pay the labor.

A very strong claim, reassuring.
Its frustrating as XL-sized rider, I have no chance for feeling these bikes myself in a good way, so I have to rely on every bit of info I find online, so I highly appreciate every comment.
You didn't feel any difference in responses/handling? Some reviews suggests that the carbon feels more 'poppy' and 'quick' in tight areas due to its weight difference.
Those reviews are sometimes misleading as well, due to tyres, 140mm vs 150mm fork etc, these changes behavior, so hard to say... :)

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
My buddy's M10 is markedly lighter than my H10 when lifted on to a rack. Whether that transpires into a noticeably more maneuverable bike is to be seen. I can say having ridden ~100 miles on an XL H10 is that I dont feel like it's slow to maneuver at all.

One thing to consider (and this is conjecture) is that imo Orbea is very likely to come out with a carbon Rise with the larger battery. Which if paired to this rumored EP801 motor that may (or may not) reduce freewheel chatter would be the perfect emtb.
But still that would be at least 500g heavier than current M model.

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
My buddy's M10 is markedly lighter than my H10 when lifted on to a rack. Whether that transpires into a noticeably more maneuverable bike is to be seen. I can say having ridden ~100 miles on an XL H10 is that I dont feel like it's slow to maneuver at all.

One thing to consider (and this is conjecture) is that imo Orbea is very likely to come out with a carbon Rise with the larger battery. Which if paired to this rumored EP801 motor that may (or may not) reduce freewheel chatter would be the perfect emtb.
What weights did you measure for both XL frames?
Did you get to drive the carbon as well?
What is your riding style?
Did you get to compare the distances being able to travel with both variations?
re new rise, I guess it can happen within a year timeframe, but they just released the 22’ model without any significant (of at all?) changes. Even if a new variation will hit the market next year I don’t know if it makes sense to wait, because then we have another 3-6 months until we manage to order one and have it delivered etc

I wonder what’s your riding style with the bike, essentially you claim you didn’t feel any difference.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire

I spoke to a UK dealer about this - the carbon rise with the larger battery (and while he obviously doesn't know Orbeas plans) he was 100% convinced that this won't happen because it undermines what the point of the carbon rise is - it is meant to be the lightest emtb possible, with the flexibility of modular/extended battery. If they simply add a larger battery it takes away from this. Second the frame design of the carbon and alloy are different to accomodate the larger battery. Third, there is no reason to do this - those who want the lightest available bike will buy carbon rise, if they want a bigger battery but still like the rise concept, they will buy the alloy. Why go to the cost and risk of changing the essence of what is an incredibly popular bike.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire

Sorry WHAT THE HELL?! The bike shop charged you for the part that was replaced at Orbea's expense, and then forced you to pay to install?! How is that even legal?

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
I spoke to a UK dealer about this - the carbon rise with the larger battery (and while he obviously doesn't know Orbeas plans) he was 100% convinced that this won't happen because it undermines what the point of the carbon rise is - it is meant to be the lightest emtb possible, with the flexibility of modular/extended battery. If they simply add a larger battery it takes away from this. Second the frame design of the carbon and alloy are different to accomodate the larger battery. Third, there is no reason to do this - those who want the lightest available bike will buy carbon rise, if they want a bigger battery but still like the rise concept, they will buy the alloy. Why go to the cost and risk of changing the essence of what is an incredibly popular bike.
I can go either way on that. I will say the market will probably guide Orbea on this one. In a vacuum the Orbea lineup seems dialed, especially with the extender option. But when put against compelling competition like the SC Heckler, Transition Repeater et al, a longer range carbon model may be an Orbea option in the future.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles