First emtb- carbon or hydro?

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
Well
That happened today: View attachment 87408

H is delayed, M is available in my size for pickup, so it was a no brainer :)
Especially after I figured that at this frame size, I prefer the lighter weight over the range.
Re extender - well, we'll see...maybe I will need it at some occassions, but I dont think that on a daily basis, so I think I like this setup.
Time will tell, need to ride them later this week :)

View attachment 87407

Congrats, glad you finally pulled the trigger. Might be in the minority here, but I actually like the stock tire setup on dry terrain. Give them a go for a few rides. Was expecting some issues from all the down hype, but they've been stellar on NorCal trails. In fact realized how much resistance my DHF/Ardent setup is giving me on my non-e MTB with apparently no better traction. When the rain comes it will likely be another story....

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Well
That happened today: View attachment 87408

H is delayed, M is available in my size for pickup, so it was a no brainer :)
Especially after I figured that at this frame size, I prefer the lighter weight over the range.
Re extender - well, we'll see...maybe I will need it at some occassions, but I dont think that on a daily basis, so I think I like this setup.
Time will tell, need to ride them later this week :)

View attachment 87407
A friend of mine did the same thing. Was waiting for an H15 due in June......Shop called and said they had an m20 now....He said sure and got it IN March

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Congrats, glad you finally pulled the trigger. Might be in the minority here, but I actually like the stock tire setup on dry terrain. Give them a go for a few rides. Was expecting some issues from all the down hype, but they've been stellar on NorCal trails. In fact realized how much resistance my DHF/Ardent setup is giving me on my non-e MTB with apparently no better traction. When the rain comes it will likely be another story....
I ride in Norcal too, but as a bigger guy I just can't get along with a Rekon. I do love the Dissector up front though. Rekon just slips way too much for me at least. Maybe if I was riding smooth flow, but not in the dry dusky rocky trails that I ride. My friend with the M20 kept the stock setup but he's about half my size.

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
I ride in Norcal too, but as a bigger guy I just can't get along with a Rekon. I do love the Dissector up front though. Rekon just slips way too much for me at least. Maybe if I was riding smooth flow, but not in the dry dusky rocky trails that I ride. My friend with the M20 kept the stock setup but he's about half my size.

The rekon does have its limits. But it seems predictable and is fast. I think toward the end of summer I'll go assegai front and back for a late season downieville weekend and to prepare for the fall/winter.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
The rekon does have its limits. But it seems predictable and is fast. I think toward the end of summer I'll go assegai front and back for a late season downieville weekend and to prepare for the fall/winter.
Which I definitely don’t have the skill to offset in a dry dusty corner lol. I’m definitely itching for Downieville to open….D.Outfitters said possibly mid May at the earliest. Probably gonna try to go there the weekend after opening weekend.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
My h15 still not arrived. They told me 10 days ago it had left Spain. Still no further details :(
I was told by the shop o got mine from that Orbea updates there systems every Friday.. I’d reach out on Friday for info. When mine finally shipped from Spain I had it in hand if I remember correctly in about 16-18days but my shop received, built and shipped it In one day. A friend received his 2.5 weeks aftEr the shop received his. The bike ships from Spain to the bike shop, who then builds and tests it before shipping to you….unless ur picking up at shop.

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
Had a first ride today.
Well, truth be told - I didnt ride a bike for few months since my last one got a crack in the frame, and took me quite some time to debate with myself whether to buy emtb or not...
so while that day finally arrived, i lost my shape significantly. thank god it has a motor :)

Rode 30km on it in total, yet only about 13km of it in interesting singletracks. Bike is fun.
I think the best way for me to describe is that I didnt feel like Im riding a heavy electric bike. It felt very natural to me. I rode some not-too-climby roads with no assist at all, and even with assist on eco, the assist % is very low due to the setting (assist character: 1), and it was so close in feeling to my regular bike.

I'm going to replace the handlebar as I feel some sour mussle pain in my back shoulders, probably the height of the handlebar could be better/higher and fit me better. I think I should try a handlebar with a decent 35mm rise or something. Or also replace the stem? we'll see :)

I currently test rode it with echo: assist 1, 24nm, quick / trail: assist 4, 36nm, quick / boost: everything at highest setting
Being out of shape I did find myself switching between echo and trail. on the way back I was exhausted and since it was a boring 4x4 dirt road, i just changed to boost.
Got me about 30km and burned 50%. I think given the profile and used states, its satisfies my need entirely. even at this quite excessive use I Get 60km? I feel even better not waiting for the H.
Where I ride its rocky and dirt/powder roads, I do feel the rekon not having the best grip, yet I'll keep riding it until I exhaust it or winter comes. whatever comes first.

I find connecting with etube app not the most stable thing, it sometimes disconnect to me.
Im very pleased to have my garmin, with the orbea rs toolbox, I think its one of the best intergrations I could have with the bike. I found it very useful during the ride.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Had a first ride today.
Well, truth be told - I didnt ride a bike for few months since my last one got a crack in the frame, and took me quite some time to debate with myself whether to buy emtb or not...
so while that day finally arrived, i lost my shape significantly. thank god it has a motor :)

Rode 30km on it in total, yet only about 13km of it in interesting singletracks. Bike is fun.
I think the best way for me to describe is that I didnt feel like Im riding a heavy electric bike. It felt very natural to me. I rode some not-too-climby roads with no assist at all, and even with assist on eco, the assist % is very low due to the setting (assist character: 1), and it was so close in feeling to my regular bike.

I'm going to replace the handlebar as I feel some sour mussle pain in my back shoulders, probably the height of the handlebar could be better/higher and fit me better. I think I should try a handlebar with a decent 35mm rise or something. Or also replace the stem? we'll see :)

I currently test rode it with echo: assist 1, 24nm, quick / trail: assist 4, 36nm, quick / boost: everything at highest setting
Being out of shape I did find myself switching between echo and trail. on the way back I was exhausted and since it was a boring 4x4 dirt road, i just changed to boost.
Got me about 30km and burned 50%. I think given the profile and used states, its satisfies my need entirely. even at this quite excessive use I Get 60km? I feel even better not waiting for the H.
Where I ride its rocky and dirt/powder roads, I do feel the rekon not having the best grip, yet I'll keep riding it until I exhaust it or winter comes. whatever comes first.

I find connecting with etube app not the most stable thing, it sometimes disconnect to me.
Im very pleased to have my garmin, with the orbea rs toolbox, I think its one of the best intergrations I could have with the bike. I found it very useful during the ride.
Soreness/pain in upper back and rear delts (shoulders) can also be from pulling on a bike that's 10lbs heavier than a regular bike. If bars are low you'll feel weight forward more pressure on hands and possibly lower back pain.

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
Soreness/pain in upper back and rear delts (shoulders) can also be from pulling on a bike that's 10lbs heavier than a regular bike. If bars are low you'll feel weight forward more pressure on hands and possibly lower back pain.

Truth here. This bike is giving a good upper body workout. But do recommend 35mm rise bars. The geo is still extremely balanced on technical climbs.

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
Truth here. This bike is giving a good upper body workout. But do recommend 35mm rise bars. The geo is still extremely balanced on technical climbs.
Thanks. Makes sense. Regardless of geo remains balanced, do you think it might actually help?
I see many replace their handlebar to one with 35mm rise, but I wonder how many of them is due to the same reasoning as I 😁

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
Thanks. Makes sense. Regardless of geo remains balanced, do you think it might actually help?
I see many replace their handlebar to one with 35mm rise, but I wonder how many of them is due to the same reasoning as I 😁
It’s not going to be transformative but I do think higher bars are more comfortable on the flats and descents. Guessing the 140mm fork puts you in a slightly lower position out of the box vs the H15. So maybe an even better reason to get some 35 mm rise bars. All up to your preferences.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
You could try rolling the bars forward slightly to see if that helps as that can raise height of bars

CB_MTB

Jun 1, 2022
North East UK
Have 2 weeks of ride time on my H15. Handles great and impressed overall. Boost mode is usually too much. Eco and Trail most of the time. Peddles like a heavy enduro bike with "E" off. Brakes will be upgraded to 4 pistons and larger rotors because the shortcomings of the stock brake set up is apparent on long downhill runs. Saddle needs to go too. The Fox 36 fork is a good match for this bike. Rode about 30 miles before charge needed.
What's your weight out of interest please, regarding expected range on an H15?

SillyPosition

Mar 26, 2022
Israel
I know that the parts might benefit some, like better fork/shock etc.
Atleast if you're using it, if you can "live" with the fox 34, its lighter...

But for battery consideration alone I would make sure I really need it.
Im overall about 300km with my M20 (XL) and I absolutely love it and dont regret one bit.
Im only considering replacing the air shaft in the fork to have it 150mm travel, but mostly for the geometry change.

I just came back from a 55km ride, combination of dirt roads (25km) where I was only on boost, and another 30km of singletracks where I was on eco + trail, with total climbs of 900m and I had 21% left when I came back home.
For me, thats all I need really. I barely have occassions where I will ride more than that.
And Im 90kg before gear, so with water bag etc, thats like 95kg I guess...

mvtomas

Dec 12, 2021
Seattle WA area
What's your weight out of interest please, regarding expected range on an H15?
Jenson USA weighed it at 44.5 pounds before delivered to me. Then I added peddles, went tubeless, replaced the Rekon with an Assagai and replaced that awful Fizik saddle with a WTB Silverado.
Range has been great. Recent ride was 3,400 feet of climbing (two separate climbs) at 17.5 miles and used two bars. Easily get about 35 miles of x-country type riding with a few climbs. The H15 battery has been about the same as the M series with range extender because I ride with a few people that have M10s. I don't see a need for me to get the H range extender battery.

Raleel

Jun 2, 2022
Washington
Late to this party, but I went carbon myself. There wasnt an option :) ultimately, I wanted a bike where I could keep up with my kid as a 50 year old over weight dude. There were 3 emtbs in town, and two were the previous generation of Levo. Same price, aluminum frame. I went with the carbon because carbon and I liked the look.

I don’t regret it at all even though the bike is arguably way more bike than I need, but it’s becoming exactly the bike I need and want. No idea how many miles I’ve put on it since November, but more than a hundred I can think of. Enjoyed every bit of it and look forward to the rides every time. Doing one today in fact.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles