Firmware update removes the ability to set/remove a maintenance interval

himanos

Jun 29, 2019
Finland
Just to let others know: if you update your firmware with e-Tube, you may (probably will) lose a method to set and remove a distance-based or time-based maintenance interval reminder for yourself, from the app. Once the distance or time is reached, it would put a monkey wrench icon on the bike display.

After the firmware was updated, this feature was removed from the app. Unfortunately I had set a date-based maintenance interval myself, for test purposes, but now I don't have any method to remove the monkey wrench icon. Shimano's Facebook customer team was not-sorry about this and told me to get the interval icon removed in a bike shop. At my own expense of course.

This doesn't affect driving in any way, but it's an eye sore to have that icon there, with no option to remove it. The release notes said nothing about this "improvement" and that's quite not OK. Next time I'll wait at least a month before upgrading the firmware.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think you can downgrade the firmware back to 4.6 using the instructions from here. Looks like you can also download the firmware from there too.

STEPS Unlocker

I remember reading some extra instructions in the steps unlocker thread on the forum about making sure you use the right directory for the download - if you run into any problems.

You should then be able to remove your Wrench and then upgrade the firmware again.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles