Firmware downgrade

Serge

Jul 14, 2020
Belgium
Hello, does anyone know how to force firmware downgrade on the yamaha motor ? I managed to reverse the Ridecontrol app back to 1.4.3 but it does not reinstall the previous engine firmware.
Actually, it connects to the internet and always installs the latest firmware, which is crap... Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Iskjone

Sep 21, 2019
Maine
Hello, does anyone know how to force firmware downgrade on the yamaha motor ? I managed to reverse the Ridecontrol app back to 1.4.3 but it does not reinstall the previous engine firmware.
Actually, it connects to the internet and always installs the latest firmware, which is crap... Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
From everything I'm reading is there's one simple solution : You need to go to a LBS selling Giant bikes and they can perform download firmware flashes using special device. Looks like my only path for my partner's 2019 Lafree +1. (You want to go back to 1.4.2 not 1.4.3)

Serge

Jul 14, 2020
Belgium
From everything I'm reading is there's one simple solution : You need to go to a LBS selling Giant bikes and they can perform download firmware flashes using special device. Looks like my only path for my partner's 2019 Lafree +1. (You want to go back to 1.4.2 not 1.4.3)
Thank you for your reply, just coming back from my Giant shop and they have no choice of firmware version, only the latest is forced to download.

Last edited:

Iskjone

Sep 21, 2019
Maine
Thank you for your reply, just coming back from my Giant shop and they have no choice of firmware version, only the latest is forced downloaded.
Wouldn't that be the version you want? Ver 1.4.5 Works great for me.

Tmeyer37

Jun 22, 2020
Fremont, CA
In most cases there is no system in place to roll back to a previous version of FW. Saw this happen years ago when I worked at Dodge. Had a lot of angry customers that came in for a recall that had no description other then a PCM remap and it actually disabled all 3rd party programmers/chips for the diesel trucks. This is one of the reasons I didnt opt for the speedbox but I am in the US and the 20mph assist limiter hasn't been an issue for me

Serge

Jul 14, 2020
Belgium
In most cases there is no system in place to roll back to a previous version of FW. Saw this happen years ago when I worked at Dodge. Had a lot of angry customers that came in for a recall that had no description other then a PCM remap and it actually disabled all 3rd party programmers/chips for the diesel trucks. This is one of the reasons I didnt opt for the speedbox but I am in the US and the 20mph assist limiter hasn't been an issue for me
Thank you for your feedback, I am afraid you are right...

Iskjone

Sep 21, 2019
Maine
No, because it is not compatible with my badass speedbox... ;)

That's too bad that the speed box is causing issues but that's the risk you accepted when installing software that's purposely designed to over-ride the legally mandated speed limit. It's a safty issue and you may have blown your warrenty. Over the years Bike clubs and riders have done an awesome job of maintaining eBikes rights to travers public roads and I don't fault manufacters who design bike to comply with the rules that we have agreed to.

Serge

Jul 14, 2020
Belgium
That's too bad that the speed box is causing issues but that's the risk you accepted when installing software that's purposely designed to over-ride the legally mandated speed limit. It's a safty issue and you may have blown your warrenty. Over the years Bike clubs and riders have done an awesome job of maintaining eBikes rights to travers public roads and I don't fault manufacters who design bike to comply with the rules that we have agreed to.
I have not agreed with those stupid rules and have no problems biking at 30+ km/h iso 25.

Iskjone

Sep 21, 2019
Maine
I have not agreed with those stupid rules and have no problems biking at 30+ km/h iso 25.

20 mph is the class 1 limit in US, with 28 mph for class 3. The eBike rules/laws may seem stupid but they provide me unrestricted access to almost anywhere on my eBike. (That includes the majority of public roads and federal/state/city parks and forest.) All without need to license, register or insure. To each their own.

Serge

Jul 14, 2020
Belgium
20 mph is the class 1 limit in US, with 28 mph for class 3. The eBike rules/laws may seem stupid but they provide me unrestricted access to almost anywhere on my eBike. (That includes the majority of public roads and federal/state/city parks and forest.) All without need to license, register or insure. To each their own.
I agree with you but 20 mph is +/- 30 km/h. 25 km/h is ridiculous compared to the 50 km/h that I frequently exceed on my regular road bike.

Iskjone

Sep 21, 2019
Maine
I agree with you but 20 mph is +/- 30 km/h. 25 km/h is ridiculous compared to the 50 km/h that I frequently exceed on my regular road bike.
Damn a 25kph limit is rather draconian. Your eBike commuters , ebike clubs /dealers and sport activist need to pressure legislators to adapt a reasonable limit. Good luck with the speed box.

Serge

Jul 14, 2020
Belgium
Damn a 25kph limit is rather draconian. Your eBike commuters , ebike clubs /dealers and sport activist need to pressure legislators to adapt a reasonable limit. Good luck with the speed box.
Thanks, well I am happy to report that the guy at the Giant shop managed to reset the FW and the badass speedbox works again... And legislators in this part of the world are rarely reasonable ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles