GIANT Traumas. Are they BATTERY firmware related?

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Yesterday, 24.07.2023, a new Version of the RideControl App has been released for iOS and Android.
I had to manually update the App because it was not advertised automatically like other apps, but this might be related to my Phone or its settings.

When connecting my bikes, an update of the SmartGateway was advertised.
It is Version 20230719000.

I've reached out to GIANT Support Team to get some details what is changed / fixed in this version.

Megavolt

Jul 21, 2022
Moscow Russia
Yesterday, 24.07.2023, a new Version of the RideControl App has been released for iOS and Android.
I had to manually update the App because it was not advertised automatically like other apps, but this might be related to my Phone or its settings.

When connecting my bikes, an update of the SmartGateway was advertised.
It is Version 20230719000.

I've reached out to GIANT Support Team to get some details what is changed / fixed in this version.
Hi!
That's good news, thanks for the info, we'll be installing these wonders 🍻 🤠

Megavolt

Jul 21, 2022
Moscow Russia
According to GIANT support, the bugs of the previous version 20230609000 have been fixed with 20230719000.
Hey, everybody!
I confirm after the update and three cycles of charging to 100% , there is no need to remove the battery anymore.
Whether this update solved the problem with overheating of the motor, I can not say for sure, my friend now on a Giant Reign in the Altai mountains, he had this problem, I do not know if he updated, there the connection is not very good, this place is remote from internet connection.

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-29 at 14.16.01.jpeg

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
It would be super easy for motor companies to diagnose if a chip is fitted, so why wouldn't they?

If cadence/wheel revolutions > 1.75 whilst delivering torque for more than a second or two then it's chipped.

funnel

May 15, 2020
World
It would be super easy for motor companies to diagnose if a chip is fitted, so why wouldn't they?

If cadence/wheel revolutions > 1.75 whilst delivering torque for more than a second or two then it's chipped.
The chip fakes wheel revolutions so your formula wouldn't work. The only way they could detect the faking of wheel revolutions it is by some external speedometer that uses GPS or some other method that is not connected with the wheels.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The chip fakes wheel revolutions so your formula wouldn't work. The only way they could detect the faking of wheel revolutions it is by some external speedometer that uses GPS or some other method that is not connected with the wheels.
all of our bikes have software algorithms that use torque and cadence to determine the current delivered to the motor......and what speed that would typically relate to. Continued operation where that speed falls outside the algorithm norms over any pre determined time range...maybe averaged over several hours.........can be detected.

funnel

May 15, 2020
World
all of our bikes have software algorithms that use torque and cadence to determine the current delivered to the motor......and what speed that would typically relate to. Continued operation where that speed falls outside the algorithm norms over any pre determined time range...maybe averaged over several hours.........can be detected.
How would they determine you're going on like a 2000m high mountain vs a long straight road with the same average power?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ok. So how do you determine you don't ride high upwind on a straight road for like 2 hours straight?
because you dont do that for 300kms:LOL:...........it is probably gathering enough data over time to average out different riding conditions.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Exactly, the rear wheel frequency is halved (usually); but nobody is going to be using a chainring smaller than 30 with a rear sprocket larger than 52, so if the rear wheel speed frequency received by the motor controller is lower than the specified ratio of the cadence then the rear wheel frequency must be being manipulated, if there's torque being applied for more than a second or so (required for situations like a broken chain where a cadence overspeed is possible but only momentarily).

Manipulating electronic diagnostic functions is part of my daily job, BTW.

You definitely DON'T need to know actual speed from another source to diagnose a manipulated wheel speed frequency when the gear ratios have known fixed limits.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles