Finished first round of mods for 19 levo, 310+grms shaved.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Got my levo 19 expert a few weeks ago, fitted the following parts for a net savings of 310grms. Its not all about weight though, for example i just like the look of Ti bolts, and the oem spez stem is already incredibly light, but i wanted the renthal stem to match the bars.

Waiting for Comp 19s to come into stock at my local LBS, owner has promised to let me swap my battery for the 500wh, thats a 700grm saving

Renthal Fatboy carbon lite -180grm
Renthal Stem -2grm
WTB Volt -13grm
Praxis Carbon cranks -108grm
Ti stem and rotor bolts - 10grm

Annoyed with the praxis cranks, from the internet, i was expecting at least 170grm savings...if i had known its only 108grms, i would have gone with the 152mm Miranda cranks.

For stage 2 - maybe x01 rear cassette and swap my roval carbon 27.5 from my levo 18 to the levo 19

Loving the 19 over my 18 SW so far......biggest diff is that walkassist actually works on the 19, a simple press will get the rear wheel spinning.

levo 19 rear axle bolt still has the loosening issue like the 18....as well as the motor cover bolts

but overall, zero regrets getting a 19, quieter, smoother, much better power delivery as well as disengagement when it hits the speed limit

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Those that aren't are generally those that just sit down and pedal everywhere. Those that are are generally more active riders, manualling, pumping, jumping and cornering properly.

Nice savings btw.

thks. i ride my manual yeti on weekdays, levo on weekends....and i really feel the weight difference, thats why im trying to take about 1kg off the levo, makes a big diffrence to the handling

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
I wouldn't piddle about with 2 grammes off a stem here and 5g off bolts there! For proper saving - look at seat post, seat, tyres, wheels and by far the best bang for buck go 10 speed.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
I wouldn't piddle about with 2 grammes off a stem here and 5g off bolts there! For proper saving - look at seat post, seat, tyres, wheels and by far the best bang for buck go 10 speed.

as per my post, its not all for weight savings. I just happened to record down everything.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Come on, dropping weight on an eBike (other than wheels) is fairly pointless, you just want to buy new stuff ?

2wheeledwalbert

Apr 16, 2019
Gloucestershire, England
Got my levo 19 expert a few weeks ago, fitted the following parts for a net savings of 310grms. Its not all about weight though, for example i just like the look of Ti bolts, and the oem spez stem is already incredibly light, but i wanted the renthal stem to match the bars.

Waiting for Comp 19s to come into stock at my local LBS, owner has promised to let me swap my battery for the 500wh, thats a 700grm saving

Renthal Fatboy carbon lite -180grm
Renthal Stem -2grm
WTB Volt -13grm
Praxis Carbon cranks -108grm
Ti stem and rotor bolts - 10grm

Annoyed with the praxis cranks, from the internet, i was expecting at least 170grm savings...if i had known its only 108grms, i would have gone with the 152mm Miranda cranks.

For stage 2 - maybe x01 rear cassette and swap my roval carbon 27.5 from my levo 18 to the levo 19

Loving the 19 over my 18 SW so far......biggest diff is that walkassist actually works on the 19, a simple press will get the rear wheel spinning.

levo 19 rear axle bolt still has the loosening issue like the 18....as well as the motor cover bolts

but overall, zero regrets getting a 19, quieter, smoother, much better power delivery as well as disengagement when it hits the speed limit
Is your 19 quieter than your old 18 then? My mate has the 19 and it's so much louder than mine. My 18 is quiet as a mouse. But then I suppose it depends on motors

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Come on, dropping weight on an eBike (other than wheels) is fairly pointless, you just want to buy new stuff ?

I'm new to "real" MTBs (i.e. not cheap Halfords stuff) and my 7 year old sons head nearly turned inside out (as it was seriously blown) when I handed him the 29" wheel of my standard HT Levo while I loaded it in the boot. I admitted to him myself that I couldn't comprehend how light it was. The 26" tyre alone on my old bike weighed more than the wheel tyre combo on the levo.

Are these £1000+ carbon wheels with tubeless tyres actually lighter than air itself?

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Is your 19 quieter than your old 18 then? My mate has the 19 and it's so much louder than mine. My 18 is quiet as a mouse. But then I suppose it depends on motors

Much quieter, significantly so. My group has 4 other levo 18, so lots of bikes to compare with.a

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I'm new to "real" MTBs (i.e. not cheap Halfords stuff) and my 7 year old sons head nearly turned inside out (as it was seriously blown) when I handed him the 29" wheel of my standard HT Levo while I loaded it in the boot. I admitted to him myself that I couldn't comprehend how light it was. The 26" tyre alone on my old bike weighed more than the wheel tyre combo on the levo.

Are these £1000+ carbon wheels with tubeless tyres actually lighter than air itself?

Personally I’m not in to Carbon wheels as I don’t mind destroying alloy rims and don’t fancy picking up the bill. However, reducing rotating mass and unsprung weight helps improve agility and suspension performance. To be fair I’m basing this on my experience with motorcycles and I’ve only gone tubeless on my MTB’s, not tried carbon.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
thks. i ride my manual yeti on weekdays, levo on weekends....and i really feel the weight difference, thats why im trying to take about 1kg off the levo, makes a big diffrence to the handling
Hi, I also have a full carbon Yeti, weights next to nothing, and a TL Expert have made various changes to which have no doubt saved some weight in the process but I do think that weight saving on my 19Kg Levo is a bit pointless unless I can shave around 9Kg off of it TBH.
The main thing is you are enjoying your ride and making changes that suit you and give you more enjoyment is always worth while.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Hi, I also have a full carbon Yeti, weights next to nothing, and a TL Expert have made various changes to which have no doubt saved some weight in the process but I do think that weight saving on my 19Kg Levo is a bit pointless unless I can shave around 9Kg off of it TBH.
The main thing is you are enjoying your ride and making changes that suit you and give you more enjoyment is always worth while.

you have a 19kg levo? i would be very happy to hit 19kg. prefect weight for a ebike imo

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles