Fat for Snow ⛄️

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Well the white stuff is about to fly and I’m looking to buy a fatty for the snow but don’t know squat bout’em. I see they come with 26” or 27.5 tires and various widths. Last time I rode the snow I had 27.5 x 3.00 studded Rathchilds on my reg emt. I wasn’t to impressed the minute the snow got slightly deep. Yet I could see fatty tracks continuing on up the mt. I want to be that guy ! I have been researching various electric snow bikes, track kits etc. Narrowing my options down I have come to the conclusion that a fatty mt bike is my best all around choice.
Having said that, I haven’t been able to find any fatties made by your typical ebike manufacturer’s , they all seem quite obscure, I’m not sure why that is. So those of you with actual snow dog riding experience please speak up and reveal what works for you so I can have as much fun too !!
Thanks so much 😎

Last edited:

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
These are the versions that interested me the most. I just ended up pulling the trigger on a Rocky Mountain Blizzard yesterday. So frikkin’ pumped!!!

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Last year, I also ran 3” Wrathchilds on my trail emtb and found the same as you…. I often had to turn back to keep from tearing up the groomed tracks unless the conditions were just right for a firm base. Great tires, but I found myself wanting to go further and not have to be as selective with the weather conditions. Caught the bug in a major way from last year’s experience though. Now I’m going all in!

I see you’re from the Okanagan. I’m just up the road from you, in the Shuswap.

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Looking forward to some snow conditions again this winter. My rides usually turn into-‘how far can you go’.

With 2.6” tires the snow texture and depth needs to be just right. Powder is nice, frozen top layer is ok, melting icy snow …not so good. Compacted skidoo trails are fine unless you stop, or slip off the track. Rarely do I see other tire tracks and riding while dark can be really friggen different. You really need to know the trails and any surprises or snow covered rocks.

IMG_5746.jpeg IMG_3486.jpeg IMG_4433.jpeg IMG_3343.jpeg

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Or if ya wanna get really crazy…

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Or if ya wanna get really crazy…

I just purchased a MoonBike! Haven't had a chance to ride it yet but hoping for winter fun!

20230929_122508.jpg

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I love my Norco Bigfoot VLT -- Just put my studs on yesterday, and I love this bike. 27.5 is I think the way to go but if you go 26 you can often go a tad wider.

Note: 27.5 fat bike tires are bigger than non-fat 29s and 26s are bigger than non-fat 27s.

I don't really have many videos of fluffy snow because most of the time its is in the dark

E J

Nov 12, 2020
PA
What are you using to make the video with those graphic overlays? That's pretty cool!

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
What are you using to make the video with those graphic overlays? That's pretty cool!
It's called Telemetry Overlay, and it is a pain to use but do agree it's kind of cool.

With GoPro not including GPS data now on the 12 I'll need to time-sync the Garmin data with the GoPro footage. Before I was syncing with GPS data.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
so much depends on the snow conditions. In motor sports a narrow tyre is used in loose snow, the idea being it digs in rather than trying to compress the snow surface. Fat tyres seem to work well in sand suggesting they work best when the surface ( snow or sand) is compacted/reasonably firm. If the snow is fresh a wider tyre is much more likely to just bog down. I guess if your ride encounters both type of snow you are stuffed!!

NickJ

Aug 10, 2020
Lethbridge, AB
Well the white stuff is about to fly and I’m looking to buy a fatty for the snow but don’t know squat bout’em. I see they come with 26” or 27.5 tires and various widths. Last time I rode the snow I had 27.5 x 3.00 studded Rathchilds on my reg emt. I wasn’t to impressed the minute the snow got slightly deep. Yet I could see fatty tracks continuing on up the mt. I want to be that guy ! I have been researching various electric snow bikes, track kits etc. Narrowing my options down I have come to the conclusion that a fatty mt bike is my best all around choice.
Having said that, I haven’t been able to find any fatties made by your typical ebike manufacturer’s , they all seem quite obscure, I’m not sure why that is. So those of you with actual snow dog riding experience please speak up and reveal what works for you so I can have as much fun too !!
Thanks so much 😎
Check Norco Bigfoot VLT, Rocky Mountain Blizzard Powerplay. Those are probably the most mainstream manufacturers. Check out Moose and Spherik which are less well known. All four are Canadian companies.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Of couse I'm biased as my last name is LaMere, but here in Minnesota, USA we at LaMere Cycles build the world's best electric fat bike, full suspension, full carbon, speed-tuned Shimano motor, hand built up any way you like with either internal or external battery.

View attachment 129334
I just looked up the LaMere bikes really awesome! Replacing the rear triangle for the summer is an amazing idea! Really cool bikes!

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
If you can physically ride an analog bike perhaps try one of those first to see if you like it, and you won't have splashed out a lot of dough on a rapidly depreciating bike. RM Blizzard A10?
I haven't tried an electric in winter, but lots of winter days struggle to keep warm enough on an analog. Do you have a warm place to charge it?
Tires are everything. Read reviews since if the ones that come on the bike aren't suitable (FBF and FBR I'm looking at you :) they are expensive to replace. Geometry wise consider the balance between chainstay length/reach/wheelbase. Front wheel traction requires enough weight on the front, no fun if it doesn't steer well. I would size down rather than up.

Cheers.

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I ride a 23' norco bigfoot vlt 1 ep8 with the 27.5 wheels and previously had an 18' gen 1 vlt bigfoot e8000 with 26" wheels.

Both are great and make all the difference in the snow compared to a muscle fattie. Winter is actually where an ebike shines brightest imop especially if you get proper winters with a lot of snow (northern Ontario Canada here). The 27.5 wheels can be cumbersome and a little ungainly compared to the 26" at times which does make a difference when you're trying to maneuver in deep snow. They do roll like a mofo though so that's the tradeoff (just like 27.5 vs 29). Both bikes are surprisingly pretty fun in the summer as well..

As far as tires go I prefer 4.8" wrathchildren for non groomed trails and something a little less knobbly like a dillinger for groomed trails as it won't dig too much.

As far as setup goes, for me, front suspension is a must but if you ride groomed trails mostly it isn't necessary. I actually have a Foes Mutz full suspension (150/150mm) muscle fattie as well and would prefer a full sus e fat but most are cheap garbage. Foes is launching a new Fat E-ticket this season with the Bosch system, a 150mm mastadon fork and 150mm rear travel that I'd love to try.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

D

20230725_123426.jpg 20230325_135932.jpg 20230110_141313.jpg 20221122_014950.jpg

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Hey everyone 👋 fantastic responses so far thank you so much ! I have looked at all the suggested rides, and of course a shout out to my fellow BC’ers 👍 It’s nice not having to explain that out here in the mts we’re either going up or down in hugely vast remote areas.
Since my initial post I have been spending hrs n hrs looking at all my options and still really haven’t made a solid decision as yet. TBH I dont think any mainstream companies Or obscure ones make what I believe would be the ideal bike as yet.
Here’s what I believe to be my biggest requirements. (1) Riding distance per charge being number one . (2) I also want to be able to legally ride on the street since I’m only 5 minutes away from the wilderness. (3) I want to be able to ride in Mt. Parks without getting into trouble, no e motorcycles unfortunately. Out of everything out there so far e dirt bikes would be the best but not legal for the road or parks. This is what I would consider pretty near ideal 300 Mile Adventure E-Bike - R22 Everest » Optibike High Performance E-Bikes. Unfortunately the price and weight is not only is crazy but this bike has it’s own issues as well.
I looked at various dedicated snow bikes/kits and they eat battery power like no tomorrow plus I couldn’t get away with riding them in the local mt. parks and the price, yikes ! So I shelved that idea. So I think a sleeper fatty might be ok, I’m talking about a bike with lots of power when needed. There are a number of companies that offer the Bafang 620 or Brose that can be highly modified for performance. Having said that they have problems of their own, mainly overheating and destroying the cassette and chain due to the high torque and power. To be honest every fatty I have seen or sat on feel like a big boat and most are 70+ lbs and obscure companies. So out of the 10-20 fatties I’ve looked at the motor is either a Bafang or Brose(1000w) The frame’s are either aluminum or full/partial carbon fibre. For a powerful/heavy ebike I tend to shy away from plastic. The frame really is the only “custom “ made part of the bike that I would be stuck with if there was a problem. Parts are always an issue it seems even with mainline brands but more so with “noname brands “. One of the kickers is I have never ridden a powerful fatty in the Snow period. Thats where you guys come in, yes snow conditions vary but overall if you put two bikes together both with snow studded tires on, one with 27.5 x 3’s and the other with 26x4.8’s , which would go farther overall and by how much ? I guess I’m thinking if there isn’t that much of a dramatic difference then maybe I shouldn’t bother and just be happy with my 27.5x3 ‘s ?
Sorry for the long post but at least ya’ll get where I’m coming from. What say you ? All experiences/replies are appreciated, valid and welcome. Thanks, Cheers 😎

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
At the beginning of snow season I usually change to some new 29”x2.6” Maxxis Assegai. If I could size up to 2.8” I would, but that would be the max for me. My wheels are RacFace offset 35mm wide with a CushCore plus in the rear. I can drop the tire pressure to 12 psi if I need to.

My bike(Rail), my tires, footwear etc, are ready for the snowy conditions, when that happens. The conditions or texture of the snow is not always perfect. Icy or slushy snow is almost impossible. But powder, crusty or compacted snow is fine. I’ve even surprised the skidoo’ers sometimes by using their tracks. I just don’t stop cause you can never get going again. IMG_8801.jpeg
About 100-200m behind my bike I had to turn around. I fell off the trail, and then into a tree-well. Was only 5’ deep snow but I couldn’t touch bottom.

Anyways, my aim is to ride all year round. 11 months a year is better than 9 months a year, but it’s time to breakout the winter gear. 👍🏻

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
If you're riding in substantial snow a 27.3x3 won't cut it. You want to be able to ride in the single digit psi's to get the largest footprint possible, a 3" tire won't do that.

If youre actually interested in a class 1 fat ebike buy from a known brand like rocky or norco. Most of the others look like fly by night Chinese garbage.

D

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
If youre actually interested in a class 1 fat ebike buy from a known brand like rocky or norco. Most of the others look like fly by night Chinese garbage.

D
That would be my biggest concern with the array of non-mainstream manufacturers out there… a lack of any post-sale service or future parts availability. I think a lot of them are not particularly well designed for proper trail riding either and just stuffed big tires onto a suboptimal frame with non-standard components. Would be a bear to maintain over the long term. Bafang systems would probably have reasonable after sales support though.

Last winter I found that my 3” studded tires were a vast improvement over my 2.4-2.6” trail tires for getting out more, but they were still quite limiting when the conditions weren’t ideal. Often I’d have reasonably good traction at the bottom of a climb (like on trails with snowmobile tracks or boot-packed trails), but as the elevation increased, the snow conditions would change and I’d start cutting too deep and spinning out. More float from true fat tires will hopefully open up more terrain this winter.

3” tires are great for up to 5” of fresh snow over solid ground or a very firm groomed base, but beyond that, they just don’t have enough floatation for deeper snow conditions.

Last edited:

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
That would be my biggest concern with the array of non-mainstream manufacturers out there… a lack of any post-sale service or future parts availability. I think a lot of them are not particularly well designed for proper trail riding either and just stuffed big tires onto a suboptimal frame with non-standard components. Would be a bear to maintain over the long term. Bafang systems would probably have reasonable after sales support though.

Last winter I found that my 3” studded tires were a vast improvement over my 2.4-2.6” trail tires for getting out more, but they were still quite limiting when the conditions weren’t ideal. Often I’d have reasonably good traction at the bottom of a climb (like on trails with snowmobile tracks or boot-packed trails), but as the elevation increased, the snow conditions would change and I’d start cutting too deep and spinning out. More float from true fat tires will hopefully open up more terrain this winter.

3” tires are great for up to 5” of fresh snow over solid ground or a very firm groomed base, but beyond that, they just don’t have enough floatation for deeper snow conditions.
OMG TF , it sounds like you’re riding my hood on my bike !! Double ditto. I have done and experienced all the same for the last two seasons and I want to go further, like you. 👍

…. Still huntin for that dawg. 😎

Last edited:

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Twisted Fork I looked at the Rocky you just ordered, it initially peaked my interest because of the company. Then I saw it had a rigid fork, deal breaker for me. So having said that there is this one from Himiway not familiar but they seem mainstream . . Its the Cobra Pro I am contemplating… Softail Electric Mountain Bike Cobra Pro

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
That’s not a class 1 which I’m pretty sure you said is a requirement. Swapping a fork on in pretty easy.

I have no idea what the actual range on my Bigfoot with the 900wH because I’d wear out hours before it does.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Thanks so much 😎

Definitely 26. If you're going to be riding real snow, you'll want 4-5" tires (probably studded), and on bigger wheels it would ride like a clown bike. You'll be running 5-8 psi pressure also - most people run their fatties WAAAAY too high. An eFat isn't a horrible idea if you'll be breaking trail - it's a LOT of work. If you'll be riding on groomed trails or trails that see a lot of snowshoe, ski, or snowmobile traffic, it's less of an issue.

If you want the ultimate eFat beast, check out the Christini - it's two wheel drive!

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
That’s not a class 1 which I’m pretty sure you said is a requirement. Swapping a fork on in pretty easy.

I have no idea what the actual range on my Bigfoot with the 900wH because I’d wear out hours before it does.
Hey JeepingNet , thanks for your reply! Your right it’s not a class 1, but I also mentioned in my post that a “Sleeper bike “ would be acceptable. The area I ride through initially to get to the “outback “ Crown Land( no restrictions for anything) is a park but I just ride it for about 1/2 hr passing through to get lost in the woods. So as long as the bike looks legit I’m good to go 😉 Oh and another requirement for me is full suspension..

Last edited:

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Definitely 26. If you're going to be riding real snow, you'll want 4-5" tires (probably studded), and on bigger wheels it would ride like a clown bike. You'll be running 5-8 psi pressure also - most people run their fatties WAAAAY too high. An eFat isn't a horrible idea if you'll be breaking trail - it's a LOT of work. If you'll be riding on groomed trails or trails that see a lot of snowshoe, ski, or snowmobile traffic, it's less of an issue.

If you want the ultimate eFat beast, check out the Christini - it's two wheel drive!

Hey Rick I totally agree with you and yes I would be breaking trail at least 75% of the time so an all wheel drive would be terrific ! I went to the christini site and viewed their offerings and watched the videos, I was impressed for sure ! Then I hunted down their full suspension bike and …. It’s only got 27.5x2.8 ers for tires !! What the ?! Rats not going to cut it … 😱

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles