Failed DU-E7000 motor

dan_65338

Apr 6, 2020
Aberdeenshire
Hi,

So whilst out on my Ebike last night the motor started making a strange whirring noise and loosing power, the noise then change to a clicking/tappingsound and then very quickly a grinding sound, now the bike has no assist.

When you pedal the motor tries to assist, but it just spins and makes the grinding noise. Turn off assist and it’s silent when pedalling.

Anyone got any idea of what’s happened? It’s only done 1210km

The bike was bought as an ex demo with 700km, and the bike was in immaculate condition she. I got it in April. Unfortunately I don’t have a warranty on the bike. Does anyone know if shimanos parts warranty still applies? It’s a 2019 bike so will be under 2 years old.

Dan

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you have the original purchase receipt you should be able to warranty the motor at a shimano service centre

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Here's another one which failed recently :

Sounds like it's Kaput :) You should be covered by Shimano's 24 month warranty. Just need proof of purchase and you're good to go as R120 says.

If you're really lucky, they'll swap it out for an e8000 as e7000's seem to be low on stock.

dan_65338

Apr 6, 2020
Aberdeenshire
@R120 It was bought from Tri-sport resort. Who I believe is Wiggle/CRCs Ebay site. The advert did very clearly state that there is no warranty, but Im assuming that was the bike. The Shimano Warranty should hopefully still apply.

Dan

dan_65338

Apr 6, 2020
Aberdeenshire
So Tri-Sport have been in touch, As I am not the original owner as it was a demo bike, I am not entitled to any warranty. They are willing to take the bike back to run diagnostics on it to decide how to proceed. I am really not keen to ship the whole bike back as its guaranteed to get damaged by the time I get it back.

I have also been in touch with Madison who have said the same, As its ex-demo there is no warranty. I think this is really poor on Madison/shimanos part as I am the 1st owner after the shop. But I cant make them give me a new motor can I?

Hopefully I can just send back the Motor and I think they will just take a Motor of off another bike to send me. So keep your eyes peeled on eBay for an ebike without a motor, I am sure it'll go cheap.

Failing this I have found an E7000 motor on eBay new for £499 or Commencal have E8000s for £849. Is the E8000 £349 better? I feel like I would have a proper warranty on the Commencal one, not so sure about the Ebay one....

Dan.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
a motor that works is infinitely better than one that doesn't
and a motor with a 24 month warranty is worth many times that of one without

I wouldn't touch another E7000
mine failed in a similar fashion after just 7 weeks commuting (700 easy miles)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you ride hard, an e8000 is worth 10 times an e7000. For whatever reason, they have a higher than average failure rate.

@Bearing Man might be able to help you with a repair, but I think they e7000 is generally junk when it breaks, the e8000 is at least repairable.

I think we've still got a couple of months until the EP8 is released.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you ride hard, an e8000 is worth 10 times an e7000.
Where do you get that from?

@Bearing Man might be able to help you with a repair, but I think they e7000 is generally junk when it breaks, the e8000 is at least repairable.
Think he said neither motor is easily repairable. Something to do with how the circuit boards are mounted?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Think he said neither motor is easily repairable. Something to do with how the circuit boards are mounted? [/QUOTE said:
He did say that and the boards are the issue! Can't even get the crank out!

dan_65338

Apr 6, 2020
Aberdeenshire
I’m really hesitant to drop £850 on a E8000 as it’s 4 year old tech and there’s a new motor due in October I think.

From what I gather E7000 is a throw away item, E8000 bearings can be done but no more.

Tri-Sport have just agreed to take back the motor, so hopefully they will swap it out. I just need to convince them to swap for E8000.

Madison have also just offered me a reduced cost motor. So it’s not all doom and gloom.

madison have said that I will need to give them a copy of the bikes unit log aquisition? What is that is that just the wheel circumference/chainring?

Dan

dan_65338

Apr 6, 2020
Aberdeenshire
So CRC have been pretty awesome. Even though there’s no warranty they have changed out the motor for another with 380km. Pretty gutted it’s another E7000, but it’s free. So can’t complain.

Hopefully this one lasts long enough until the new motor is released.

dan_65338

Apr 6, 2020
Aberdeenshire
So... The story continues I managed to kill the replacement motor in under 200km. This time while descending a locla DH track, I got a E010 warning. Now when I start up the bike I get a W013(Torque sensor not initializing) Immediately followed by E010.

Looks like @Gary is right and E7000 motors are garbage.

Tri-Sport_Resort are offering a E8000 Motor with 695Km on it or a full refund. Im tempted to take the E8000 with 695KM as Ive already spend another £400 on the bike replacing or upgrading stuff.

Is it a risky move accepting an E8000 with 695km on it? or are the E8000 much more reliable?

Dan

BackHol3

Aug 26, 2019
Finland
3000km after with heavy usage all kind of weather conditions(-30c to+30c) e8000 still runs perfectly(Stunlocker restricted 40km/h).

Madonas

Dec 21, 2020
Delta BC
I had a 7000 series motor replaced June 2020 . The original; started to act up ( within 2 month ) throwing power on hills eventually came up with W010 and e010 error coded . Between 1200km and 1800 km the bike was pretty flakey .
However since the change the new motor seems exceptional i have 4000 additional km on it. I do 10 - 20 laps down and up the hill.
Delta Watershed Park almost draining the power from the battery. The system seems pretty solid. There might just be a bad part in some 7000 series motors. The company ( Sea to Sky Adventure Company Squamish ) I bought it from also had problems with these motors. I The owner said he replaced 7 of them . HE claimed the black plastic part described in these forums was the culprit. So I'm guessing the replacement motor I received in June had an updated part. I have notice discussion regarding failure of these motors in these forum have subsided somewhat lately

I wash it quite regularly ( after every ride and I keep the water spray away from the motor , I usually lay the bike on its side and wash the bike off each side. I do not direct spray toward the motor in general.

BTW Obsession Bikes in North Vancouver changed the motor for me. I gave it to them last week in MAY and first week June I got it back with a new motor.

Madonas

Dec 21, 2020
Delta BC
Rode the Bike today . E010 and w013 system and torque sensor error. The motor had 4120 km on it. Needs replacement now . Already knew that the motor design was flakey , hoping for a fix from Shimano . This one felt good right up until the error codes showed. . I'll have to admit that least on the surface the 7000 series motor do no hold up well.
MAybe I will upgrade to a 8000 series motor when the bike is out of warrany. 2 motor to go in 18 month . Lucky the warrant is 2 years.

Madonas

Dec 21, 2020
Delta BC
The motor reset itself overnight without doing anything . Ive ridden the bike another 150 km for three separate days and three more charges and nothing . It is cold and damp outside and quite muddy. It works . No error codes.

This is the same experience I have with the other motor . Works fine if you can get it going anf then throw error code from time to time and then will completely quite. Anyone else have similar experiences ? I will take the bike apart and examine the connection when I overhaul the bike this winter. The bike mechanic I work with seem to feel that the motor is NOT Flakey.
I guess time will tell .

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
My E7000 has done the exact same thing, E010 instantly followed by W013. I'm just waiting to hear from Madison, so hope they offer an E8000 upgrade...

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Probbably they wont. Becouse E8000 is out of production. E7000 stays in the market!

If it's out of production, how will they do warranty replacements on the tens thousands of E8000 motors that are currently in circulation worldwide? In fact, there are still brand new bikes being specced with the E8000. Sorry, but you're talking nonsense.

rokyluk

Oct 11, 2020
Slovenia
If it's out of production, how will they do warranty replacements on the tens thousands of E8000 motors that are currently in circulation worldwide? In fact, there are still brand new bikes being specced with the E8000. Sorry, but you're talking nonsense.
I wont to tell that there wont be any more replacment E7000 for E8000.

Madonas

Dec 21, 2020
Delta BC
My ebike motor finally packed it in and will boot up normally by as you turn it on and apply pressure to the pedals it will go immediately to e010 code and not supply electrical power to the motor.

My bike mechanic has a 7000 series motor in and will be troubleshooting the failure this Monday.
HE thinks it is a connection problem . I do not argue and say I agree a connection problem probably exists but inside the unserviceable motor.

TO me also seem like a software issue whereby the motor experience a software /firmware glitch and cannot reset itself.

Other than that the motor felt really good up to the last ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles