E7000 motor cutting out

Jsparks1988

Jun 26, 2019
Kent, uk
Went out today on my bike which has a shimano e7000 motor. Was on a steep long climb towards the end of the ride with only one bar of battery and in boost. Thought i could smell a burning smell and then motor lost all power in all modes. No warnings on the display to suggest an overheating problem. Would the power loss be due to the steepness and little battery remaining? Or did it over heat? Once back on the flat and turned off and back on it worked fine again.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
One bar left + climbing in Boost you will almost always find the bike will run out of juice and turn all assistance off (one constant Red battery bar light).
Stopping for a second or two and switching it off and on again occasionally gives you a little more but it won't last long.

try to use Eco when there's only a little battery left.
The battery indicator bars are not linear.
when quite full of charge the bars last ages. when close to empty they barely last any time at all

Last edited:

Jsparks1988

Jun 26, 2019
Kent, uk
One bar left + climbing in Boost you will almost always find the bike will run out of juice and turning all assistance off (one constant Red battery bar light).
stopping for a second or two .switching it on and off occasionally gives you a little more but it won't last long.

try to use Eco when there's only a little battery left.
The battery indicator bars are not linear.
when quite full of charge the bars last ages. when close to empty they barely last any time at all
Ok thanks for that. Only the 2nd proper ride on the bike so all a learning curve too me. It wont have caused any lasting damage would it? Like i said the motor did smell a bit but not enough to throw an error code.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No. the battery is fine to discharge to that point.
just don't leave it sitting around for ages that discharged.

You're probably just have noob boost overuse syndrome... We all had it once ;)
Boost is still awesome but most of us have come to terms with the fact it uses battery all too quickly

Jsparks1988

Jun 26, 2019
Kent, uk
No. the battery is fine to discharge to that point.
just don't leave it sitting around for ages that discharged.

You're probably just have noob boost overuse syndrome... We all had it once ;)
Boost is still awesome but most of us have come to terms with the fact it uses battery all too quickly
Haha il put it down as a learning curve. I have put the battery on charge now before i put it away. Once i turned the bike off and back on again it was almost like it recalibrated itself and i was able to ride home with all 3 assistance modes after the hill which was about another 2 - 3 miles.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah.
The E8000 display has an assistance bar (along the bottom of the display) and if you pay attention to it you can see how hard the motor is working. On the flat it doesn't need to work output anywhere near the assistance it does climbing.I don't think the E7000 has this.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles