Exporting trail type metadata to a navigation tool

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Okay I know ill get hit with rational regarding you just get out there and work it out xyz but I like being efficient/thorough as people are already starting to see ?! So without further ado:

love this gent! Perfect example of how powerful tools like Trailforks, Alltrails and other apps can be. it also shows how he could have got lost a few times too bumbling about, this is what I want to remove basically, cba bumbling! Im still checking and Kamoot seems to have the best navigation but I can’t seem to search for trails easy at all unless it’s by their recommended ones in the blog sections...ideally I could export the gpx into kamoot but don’t think you can.

So then I synced from TF to my Garmin edge and the map showed up nice and easy In the garmin TF app. It looks like this:

42A561BF-F462-4D4F-8343-714036CD29DF.jpeg 87CA3D93-4472-4AD9-928D-BCE4F9CE0E11.jpeg
the left is via phone TF app, is perfect, some amazing human created a full loop of all the best parts, I could literally hit start.....ah but no you can’t as ofc TF has no navigation, great! So then you save the route and then sync it to the garmin and off you go.....ah but you lose all the metadata and now everything is just a blue line, no red, black data......great again!

So three questions:

1) is there a phone app that can carry its metadata into a nav tool without losing info?
2) is there a way to send app maps to a garmin or another device with all the metadata intact?
3) if garmin is the way is it just some kind of img file that’s missing maybe or something I’m not doing right?

If Trailforks just had that nav and added in some gamification (google SAPS system) it would be far better, I don’t see anything doing what I’m looking for which I’m surprised atm; I’m really not asking for much

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Not sure what your problem is. I search for trails on Trailforks and then export the .gpx to Komoot...which then appears in your planned tours on Komoot. I then navigate that tour on Komoot using blue tooth headphones and my phone. I mostly use the verbal instructions and only refer to the phone map if I go off the tour. If I use a full face I use ear buds instead of the mini headphones. Simples.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
1) is there a phone app that can carry its metadata into a nav tool without losing info?

No

2) is there a way to send app maps to a garmin or another device with all the metadata intact?

No

3) if garmin is the way is it just some kind of img file that’s missing maybe or something I’m not doing right?

Youre not understanding - the trailforks metadata that describes things like grading of trail, comments by users etc is all proprietary to trailforks. The various navigation apps use a standardised format for describing routes called a GPX file. The gpx file does not have the capability to hold the trailforks metadata.

Your best chance is to use the trailforks app on the phone in conjunction with a garmin device or turn by turn navigation app also on the phone with the route(s) you want to ride loaded onto it. Use the navigation app or garmin to navigate , use the trail forks app to look at the metadata about a trail

You need to get the trailforks developers to add turn by turn navigation of a trailforks route to their app to achieve what you are looking for.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
If you don't include a personal computer (PC) equipped with a decent software (QGIS, Basecamp, etc) you can't get any higher in this navigation business than a Tiktok scientist. Not saying that it's not ok, but I feel that you're aiming something higher than your current setup makes possible.

Are you sure you need navigation with fancy arrows or would a track to follow be enough?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Put simply you have 2 types of App. You have route finders like Trailforks. They superimpose gps data ( gpx is merely a series of gps tracking points) onto a simplified version of Google Maps...for which they have to pay licence...and its not cheap! Apps like Komoot are primarily navigation apps which give both visual and verbal guides to following a selected route. As a bove it is simple to download a .gpx file of a route from Trailforks to Komoot.
I think what you are looking for is an Ordinance Survey Map on which you marked your planned route!! You will however need a waterproof map holder, a suitable handlebar fixing method, probably quite powerful reading glasses, and be travelling no more than walking pace or you will crash!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles