Trail Tool Time

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
It is a bit disturbing to read about the issues that are going on with regards to the various trail sabotage and access issues that are going on around us. Better to know than not I suppose.

But that said what is on my mind this time of year seems to be going out and working on new and working over the old trails close by my home. I am pretty fortunate that where I live there is out the door access to terrain suitable for riding but lots of it just needs to be exposed.

Primarily the terrain is 2nd and third growth forest and owned by a large lumber company these days. Logging roads exist that are kept in good shape but also some that have fallen into disuse but they can be fairly easily rehabbed with simple tools.

My trail kit consists of a set of loppers with adjustable handles for smaller diameter branches, a 48v eSaw with a few batteries and a sharp chain and a McLeod. All of these fit into a Grundens Dry Backpack. I made the McLeod into a 2 part deal so that it fits in better. I also carry spare chains, water and personal fuel in the side pockets.

tools 2.jpg

Most of the work entails just raking off the surface to delineate where the desired track should be. However there are downed trees to deal with once in awhile also and the eSaw gets that done. We don't cut down any live trees ever in respect for the land owner. When section is done it looks like this more or less and STIL in the picture.

tools 1.jpg

At some point it may be necessary to put in some waterbars in a place like this but there is little evidence of need at this point and it rains here, a lot. Maybe after a line gets burned in but that will be awhile because only two of us even know about these trails.....

Won't do much good on this property but if the chance arrives to do some more serious building we have one of these diggers in the yard to take care of it also.

'Bota.jpg

I made a 3 mile trail on a sidehill property years ago with one and they are a prime tool to move dirt around with and used today by many to do the deed of building serious trails as well as other mechanized things like small dump rigs to move in materials.

Although my pack is pretty tight it does weigh a bit but doable for getting it to the trails on the bike. I do leave it stashed out in the woods if planning on using it again soonish though and just take the batteries home for charging as necessary. I have seen some trail builders use BOB type trailers to get their tools to the site which does make good sense I just don't have one to use.

Any other builders on here? I would imagine there is a good amount of tree removal going on in the UK after that wind event of last month?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I was about to buy a mcleoud tool but they are silly money. im working on a trail in my own garden, wont be long, only about 30 seconds but have about 8 jumps on it.. nowhere here sells the mcleoud so im gonna make one.
the forest behind the house has a growing network of trails and those lads build every week, I feel a bit bad about not helping so ill be doing more of that this year.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Too bad that you are finding McLeod's expensive over there you would think something with a Scottish name would be cheap? Pardon the double entendré :cool:

I think I paid like $50usd for mine. There was a pin in the head that held it to the handle and I got rid of that with my grinder and replaced it with a removable pin with a clip. They are a great tool for digging out side hill as well as being a decent tamper to pack things in.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Although my pack is pretty tight it does weigh a bit but doable for getting it to the trails on the bike. I do leave it stashed out in the woods if planning on using it again soonish though and just take the batteries home for charging as necessary.
That’s a big pack!
I use a Milwaukee sawzall with a couple of pruning blades and pack 3-4 batteries. There’s always blow-down across the trails after the winter storms and the eMTB makes the trip a little better with the extra weight.
BA98575C-4957-4EF8-88DB-19C242AFB7D5.jpeg

A bear ate my other pack so I got another.
FCAC1A59-B5AF-4AC0-BEA8-0991AAC39E81.jpeg

Cut blow-down like this into a bite size piece.
I usually stash other tools around the mountain, take pic, then write down the area…in case I forget where I was working. (It’s a memory thing). Sometimes I find buckets, shovels and other things on old abandoned trails also.

Last edited:

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I used a sawzall for awhile but for me the chainsaw is faster and although heavier the way I do my work is similar to you in that I will stash the sack in the woods and just carry the batteries back and forth. I don't really ride much with the pack on other than to get to the start of the trail and back from whereever I finish up.

Yesterday I was scouting a connector using my POLR method after parking my bike and heading back towards my tool stash. Came across a couple of choke points that are going to take some effort but the bonus was quite a few sections like this:
Trail as is.jpg

that just need a bit of raking and riding in.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Yeah …back and forth for batteries.
Working an abandoned trail for the past 3 weeks. Trails should be nice after I’m finished in a few more weeks. Packing in decking for 2 new bridges (rough 2x6x 32” cedar).
The nice thing is that I still get a decent ride in too.
I like those short connector trails too but this one is quite long. Will probably only be a 4 min ride(after)from entrance to exit so that’s good.
81867E67-B673-4FF1-926A-CB1BAA1BAD8A.jpeg

1 of 2 bridges under construction.
AB0D2A72-6049-4033-BD51-E20493953F46.jpeg

71D540A5-2908-4573-9ADD-70E8725126E7.jpeg
7CCCBA18-EE25-4B1A-A575-1A8093574C5E.jpeg

…a few big rocks.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
You are more ambitious than I am. My Path of Least Resistance method coupled with the fact that there really aren't any drainage issues as where I am working is all on a dry hill with good drainage, and lots of Chanties in the fall!

Today I was ruminating on the fact that I hadn't mentioned perhaps my #1 got to trail tool and that is an about 3.5 to 4' fairly stout stick of about 1.5"es in diameter. Usually plenty of choices laying about. I use it to flick away branches and duff from the trail but if it is thick I use my McLeod as a rake that I am carrying also.

But as they say you can't get em all and on the way out after riding the new section and stashing my tools I saw another track and decided to follow that and see where it went. Where it went was to a spot where stick flicked up into my rear wheel, tweaked my rear der and pushed it into the spokes breaking two of them before I could even stop. As I was assessing the situation the rear tire was going psssssssstttt and one of the broken spoke must have punctured the rim seal....so no way it was going to hold air unless it had a tube which I didn't.

Did have a chain tool though and took off the der. and sized up the chain for about mid cassette and removed the excess links. What I have learned over the years if having to do this is to size the chain on a cog of your choice and after connecting it back together put it on the next larger cog for a nice snug fit.

Love tubless beads cause they don't let go and was able to ride the 3 miles or so home on a combo of trail and pavement 80% of which was downhill. A little hard on the rim/tire granted but actually I have never ruined either riding out flats since changing to tubeless. So a few spokes and hopefully some artful straightening of the der. cage and I'll be back in action. Not holding out alot of hope for the der. though......another c note out into the meta.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
…my #1 got to trail tool and that is an about 3.5 to 4' fairly stout stick of about 1.5"es in diameter. Usually plenty of choices laying about. I use it to flick away branches and duff from the trail but if it is thick I use my McLeod as a rake that I am carrying also.
(…”a stout stick and a McLeod(chainsaw?)as a rake”). Wtf…are you a caveman? (Jk). Okay …I’m no different. Use whatever is available. A 3”x4’ green limb makes for a good peavy to move heavy trees or rocks too.
The thing I like about the sawzall with a pruning blade is that I can stick it in the dirt and not worry about hitting a rock…it’ll still cut. Home Depot has replaced the Milwaukee sawzall twice but the batteries don’t wear out …just recharge. But nothing is feather-lite.
I must be tired of filing chains to razor sharp…got a few scars on my left forearm while I wasn’t concentrating.

Sometimes I need to empty the packsack of any bike tools. A flat or drivetrain issue would suck and I’ve been lucky so far. The added weight of materials or trail tools puts the bike balance off a bit. But the ride down can be fun 🤩.

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I was about to buy a mcleoud tool but they are silly money.… nowhere here sells the mcleoud so im gonna make one.
Just curious, did you ever make one?
I can’t find a trail tool locally and some of the good ones on-line are pricey or not available for my area. I’m not a metal fabricator or welder but I could modify something. The Rogue 55 or 70 looks about right but I would shorten the handle a bit (backpack-able maybe?)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I can’t find a trail tool locally and some of the good ones on-line are pricey or not available for my area. I’m not a metal fabricator or welder but I could modify something. The Rogue 55 or 70 looks about right but I would shorten the handle a bit (backpack-able maybe?)
I actually bought all the steel and handles today, I am making a start tomorrow.
ill take pictures.
gotta get someone else to weld the bloody things up though, im really really shit at welding

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
ill take pictures.
gotta get someone else to weld the bloody things up though, im really really shit at welding
I look forward to the pics. Btw, I’m sh*ty at welding too.
So in past weeks I’ve been looking at the Rogue 55 or the McLeod corona. Either one seems like a decent tool …but the price. @Mabman has a McLeod tool that cost $50 usd I think. (My apologies…I thought a McLeod was a chainsaw, it’s not 🙃, it’s a trail tool).
Id probably cut the handle shorter for easier transporting on my bike. Anyways, my search continues for a decent priced tool ($100-200).

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I was just thinking about this thread today as I was out stick flicking the Chanttrail. I almost took a pic of the stick I was using cause it was a particularly nice one that lasted quite awhile.

Chanttrail 2'25:22.jpg

There is an iron rake around there somewhere that my buddy left there last year but now he can't remember where....My McLeod is on another section under construction this trail is pretty well there except for it just need ridden in after I get all the winter sticks off of it. There is a nice DH at the end of this section that is probably about a mile long.

Here is the one I got:

Nupla - 69216 FHR-48 Heavy Gauge McLeod Fire Tool off Amazon links not allowed on here I guess....

I took out the fixed pin holding the handle to the head and replaced it with a cottered pin so that it can come apart and fit better in my trail tool bag. To tell you the truth if I was going to make one I would consider a stiff grade of aluminium. Or better yet Ti :)

PS: if a MeLeod was a chainsaw it would be a McCulloch with bad rings

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
PS: if a MeLeod was a chainsaw it would be a McCulloch with bad rings
McCulloch…right 🤦🏼. Of course.
Could almost do a complete overhaul on a Stihl066….on the stump. Almost 😅. I liked that saw. But that’s a pretty good stick you got there …nice trail.
Anyways, I’ll probably order from Amazon for $200+…ridiculous price.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
McCulloch…right 🤦🏼. Of course.
Could almost do a complete overhaul on a Stihl066….on the stump. Almost 😅. I liked that saw. But that’s a pretty good stick you got there …nice trail.
Anyways, I’ll probably order from Amazon for $200+…ridiculous price.

On my listing for the one in bold it is $58.95usd? The exchange rate can't be that bad!

I don't think McCulloch has made saws for years nor Homelites for that matter.

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
I imported three Prohoe's from Kansas to Germany with a €10 Euro duty (I think farm equipment duties & taxes must have a separate legal section because I pay much more if I buy, say, swimwear for the wife). A 70H with 40-inch hickory, 70HR with ash, and a Travis Tool with ash.

My kit was the 70H for small tree removal and the 70HR for moving dirt, plus a Fiskars metal shovel (with blue IKEA bag for dirt transport), and a general strong tooth steel rake. What I needed was a sawzall (I would get the Makita 18v battery version). Had a folding handsaw instead. Tossed it all in a backpacking backpack.

I didn't end up using the Travis Tool at all. The 70H can function like an axe if you keep it sharp with a grinder, and can cut out the root base of trees up to 8-10 inches think (but it's work). Would have been better to cut those trees low and bury them in hindsight. So I had to cut a line with the handsaw (maybe 1-2 sapling trees per meter) and remove the bases via 70HR. It was really tricky to get the gradient right because the vegetation was so thick.

If I had to do it again I'd get the 70HR with a hickey axe handle and bring a rake. Those two together can do a lot. Adding a motorized saw speeds everything up. A only go in winter when the leaves are down and we can see anything. But, wood handle tools can't stay on the trails in freezing weather, the wood can split--so fiberglass is actually a good option here as you can stash the tools all winter without having to pack in and pack out each day.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
…fiberglass is actually a good option here as you can stash the tools all winter without having to pack in and pack out each day.
More good advice.👍🏻

Most of the trails I work on are being resurrected, improved, maintained or saved from further erosion. Hence the bridges and creek management. Usually a cordless sawzall, drill, shovel and small bucket is all I need. This stuff is easy to stash also when you need to do multiple trips. Old existing trails are fairly easy …cleanup, cut the old blow-down and fix where necessary. But now I’m considering a connector trail.
Fortunately I have the luxury of spending 4-5 hours each day on a trail. This connector trail is fairly short (100+m) but drops considerably. I don’t want a double-black rated trail so a few switchbacks might be needed (green, blue, black, double-black or 1-2-3-4 respectively). I’d like a technical blue(2) trail. I’ve paced out and ribboned several options and one line looks pretty good.
Today I’m gonna ride the roughed-out connector trail and maybe take some Sunto Clinometer readings. The topography map gives an idea but the Sunto gives a true picture of drop %. Water erosion is not to serious of an issue in this area however I’ll still consider it.
Now I’ll need a trail tool.

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
I actually gave some consideration to producing a Prohoe equivalent in the EU, as the production process seems very straightforward and the market should be easy to enter (no current producers, sector is not sufficiently large for big manufacturers to care, EU protectionism levies duties and delays imports [took 3 months for the tools to arrive from the US]). And since COVID MTB'ing is growing. All you need to do is find EU based farmers with discs they need to offload (my understanding is the discs are scrap that generally are not recycled, something to do with their hardness).

So you buy an automated cutting machine, something <10K, then hire a welder. It could literally start as a two man shop, logistics coordination, loading unloading discs, cutting, welding, handles are purchased for assembly (all you do is manage disc -> tool process), and then frontend web sales through Amazon. DHL picks up your output everyday and distributes it EU only, maybe include UK after you are up and running. Really small starting costs, technically could be run out of a basement or garage in the beginning.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Finally made a start, should get 4 tools out of the 20 quid I spent on materials.

IMG_20220524_170938.jpg

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I do not build trails, just ride the ones I find opened in the woods. But in when there are small trees blocking, I will take this little devil on the next ride:
0F322C73-6276-49B2-B3D2-902F426D1514.jpeg

I call it chuck, the assassin toy. No safety mechanism, just pull the trigger …
Always keep the batterie off of this thing!!!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
thats a useful looking tool, im gonna make one of those next !! maybe 2 because me and Sam are building in the garden and the local
It’s stashed on a trail I’m working on, along with a shovel, a small garden rake and a small bucket. The sawzall and spare batteries are stashed there too. I’m not sure how you plan on transporting but for me it’s usually a couple of trips. The rogue is my most used tool. Good for tamping dirt too. If the sides get dull I just use a cordless grinder (Milwaukee stuff). EBike makes the rides easier. 👍🏻

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I do not build trails, just ride the ones I find opened in the woods. But in when there are small trees blocking, I will take this little devil on the next ride:
View attachment 88780
I call it chuck, the assassin toy. No safety mechanism, just pull the trigger …
Always keep the batterie off of this thing!!!
That’s a great little tool but I can put the sawzall 12” pruning blade right in the dirt. A chainsaw chain might not hold up as well. But sometimes I wish I had a chainsaw.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
It’s stashed on a trail I’m working on, along with a shovel, a small garden rake and a small bucket. The sawzall and spare batteries are stashed there too. I’m not sure how you plan on transporting but for me it’s usually a couple of trips. The rogue is my most used tool. Good for tamping dirt too. If the sides get dull I just use a cordless grinder (Milwaukee stuff). EBike makes the rides easier. 👍🏻
I have the full milwaukee stash in a load of packout gear, best stuff I ever had !!!
the trail isnt far and theres no way I can leave my tools there, I use them too frequently.
I can pretty easily drive to the trailhead and leave the bikes in the back for testing :p

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I’ve been looking at the Milwaukee cordless chainsaw lately. Maybe some day.
ye I have 2 Stihl saws that I use and about 10 milwaukee batteries, I 'almost' sold my stihls to get the milwaukee saw, just because of convenience of not have to mix the fuel. there doesnt seem to be much in it for the casual user, which is what I am.. but the stihl are proper good saws so I kept hold of them.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
ye I have 2 Stihl saws that I use and about 10 milwaukee batteries, I 'almost' sold my stihls to get the milwaukee saw, just because of convenience of not have to mix the fuel. there doesnt seem to be much in it for the casual user, which is what I am.. but the stihl are proper good saws so I kept hold of them.
Stilh is a nice saw. Fewer parts then a Husky by far. But, My tree falling days are ova. I’m a dirt astronaut now …I guess 😀. (Hence the Rail and trail tools).🙃🙂🙃🙂

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles