Even shorter cranks?

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I was just watching Ali Clarkson's latest video when he visited the Pinnd factory (who are now supporting him). It's an interesting video in general but of particular interest is the fact that they're producing 145mm ebike cranks. Being a total convert to 155 cranks (down from the OEM 165s that came on my bike) I'm wondering if 145 might be a step too far (or whether it'd be another step in the right direction maybe?)
I'm still running the cheap Miranda 155s and they've been flawless so far, my plan was always to upgrade to blingy Hopes but I'm quite attracted to the idea of trying these Pinnd cranks as I live in Scotland and like supporting local businesses where possible. Has anyone else taken the plunge with going sub 150mm or is anyone even considering it?

LJR69

Jan 4, 2022
UK
Considered the 145's for sure as I'd love to run the Giant in the low-chip setting, but I ordered their 155's in the end. I just couldn't work out whether 145 would feel odd or not and it's an expensive mistake to make.

LJR69

Jan 4, 2022
UK
Interesting video, thanks for sharing. Although I had a difficult time to understand the dialogs due to the very loud factory background noises. Suprised that the employees didn't wear hearing protection gear...... to prevent from getting tinnitus at 50!
I was surprised they didn't use ear protection too! 54 year old here, with tinnitus. Fecking thing! Got it as I used to be a tank mechanic in the army and running up the power packs for testing for years is most likely the cause (even with ear protection at the time - back in the 80's)

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Besides the ear protection, I was surprised at the lack of eye protection also. There are very few manufacturing facilities that allow employees to have no eye protection 🥽. Eye protection is usually distributed like candy and is usually strict policy. “Eye Protection To Be Worn after this Point”.

I recently went from 165mm to 160mm cranks. I never noticed a difference in peddling but I’ve never given them a real test in the rock garden.
IMG_6015.jpeg IMG_6014.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Either way, they’re not cheap. A while ago @Zimmerframe did a review on some titanium cranks that were available for the Bosch motor (gen4 cx). I was surprised to see that the carbon Era cranks were slightly lighter. I may have misread the weights…I’ll check again.

A recent article suggested that shorter cranks for eMTB’s may be the next trend. But how short?

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Going to shorter cranks, I ride 150mm miranda's, works great until you lose power and have to pedal a heavy bike......

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I ran 140's on the Kenevo for about 18 months. I bought them when I ordered the bike as I'd read about the BB being relative low and was worried about pedal strikes, so went super short out of curiosity. Turned out to actually be higher than my previous bike which was running 155 Mirandas (Shimano, think I still have them in a box somewhere). Put them on anyway to try.

For the first few KM's they felt REALLY !! weird and like you were spinning in tiny tiny little circles. As with all these things, you adjust pretty quickly and I kept them on. My climb times with those on are still faster than 90% of my Bosch Gen4 times.

Let anyone else ride the bike and they found it incredibly strange, it was always the first thing they noticed. Let them ride for more than 20 minutes though and they wouldn't notice anymore.

I'm back on 165's, but only because everything else has those and I found it unusual swapping between.

1683649162595.png

I had to look through old pictures to find that. It was quite nice, found this one I liked so you can suffer :)

1683649358931.png

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I don't have a long enough attention span to watch the whole video, so I don't know if leg length was mentioned. I put 155mm Mirandas on my Levo because my legs are short (28 inch / 71 cm inseam). Longer cranks cause more extreme leg and hip joint angles. The extra rock clearance is a bonus.

RiderOnTheStorm

I think 160mm is the shortest I will go.

At 6'1 using Large frame bikes, I needed to adjust my saddle fairly high when using shorter cranks, then raise my stem/handlebars to align with saddle height. And repeat this process each time my cranks were shorter. Not sure how short I can go before the bike becomes unridable!

Also, as I often use my ebike with the motor turned off, propelling a 25kg bike with short cranks can be laborious and frustrating. Really feels like you don't have enough leverage to manually power/move the bike.

Last edited:

valecek

Apr 20, 2023
Slovakia
I am using a hope E crank 155m. I am 180 cm long. probbably is not the best way for all day long rides,but its perfect on trail riding. Previous race face were still opening, hope fits great !

received_1194110061298049.jpeg

2WHLFUN

Apr 27, 2022
Trinidad, CO
My bike came with 165’s and 29” wheels. I’m about to try a 27.5” rear wheel but no geometry adjust so I ordered some 150’s to try.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
I think a key thing to remember is that crank length isn't just a go as short as you can thing on a EMTB. There are serval things to consider in determining what would be best for you & your ride.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
145mm Pinnd on Bosch cx motor. Moved from 165mm and took the risk. Wow no more pedal strikes and faster lap times with local enduro trail (more pedalling now to get over rocks).

View attachment 116844
That's great to hear. I've been considering going to 145 (from 155 currently) and the Pinnd cranks were top of my shopping list. They look fantastic as well! 😍

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I went to 150mm Miranda on my Reign purely for pedal strikes but actually found it rode better, have seen a few videos lately about crank length and it seems its becoming popular to ride shorter cranks even on non eBiles found this calculator - Crank Length Calculator - Bike Faff
Based on this crank length calculator, I’m in the Goldy-Locs zone with 160mm cranks. The difference from a 165mm crank only took one ride to get use to and maybe 🤔 a few less pedal strikes.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Measured the way that it says in the above link my inseam is 34"/86cm so the stock 165 cranks on my '22 Rail (L) look about right. Also, can't say I have many issues with pedal strikes, but to reduce them could fit my spare 170 airshaft for my Zeb A2 (160) and put Minolink to high. Have Pedalling Innovations pedals which are narrower and a better front shape than my previous Deity Tmac's so get less pedal strikes.

Last edited:

Jme

Aug 7, 2023
Delta B.C.
Considered the 145's for sure as I'd love to run the Giant in the low-chip setting, but I ordered their 155's in the end. I just couldn't work out whether 145 would feel odd or not and it's an expensive mistake to make.
I run 155's on my giant reign and they are pretty much perfect.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
I don't know what length mine are on the Lyke, but they are pretty much perfect.

I never knew that Pinnd are literally on my doorstep either..... Awesome.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
I would suggest starting with basing your crank length according to leg length and maybe compromise a little from there. Another words don't just go with the shorts cranks to avoid pedal strikes but, maybe go 155 if 160 are the ideal size for you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles