Hope cranks

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
I’ve just been quoted £1500 for all the Hope bits on my bike build.

I thought they were high quality?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
High price ! Quality? Cranks and chainring, nope
In the past thirty years I've heard that about everything. There is not a single make or model of anything that hasn't got a scathing review or 5 about it.
And the opposite applies, with as many or more positive reviews.

Used to be someone would drop off 10', snap the frame then announce that frame is rubbish and nobody should ever buy it. So think its a case if you use something to an extreme, dont expect it to be indestructible.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I’ve just been quoted £1500 for all the Hope bits on my bike build.

I thought they were high quality?
Aren't they just CNC machined parts from a chunk of metal
Forged parts are stronger, but not as cheap and quick to bang out in a garden shed or whatever

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
High price ! Quality? Cranks and chainring, nope
I had a pedal thread stick in an ebike hope crank arm
I ended up losing the plot with it and had a 5ft scafold tube on the crank arm and the pedal axle in a vice and twisted it out
The thread got mullered but the arm stayed true and straight so i have no idea what you did to bend it unless you had a bad one
The story ends with a left hand thread hellicoil in the arm and its still in use daily 12 months later so for me i would buy the ebike hope crank arms again in a heartbeat
There rotors on the other hand no they warp to easily.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I love mine and I HOPE they don’t break. :ROFLMAO:
IMG_8438.jpeg

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
Are the rotors not good?

I was having second thoughts about spending £1500 for brakes, headset, pedals, cranks, stem, bars and wheels before seeing this thread.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Pedal strike. Pedal didn’t bend. Crank sure did
Yep mine did the same. It's quite minor though and I've gotten used to it. Thought it was the pedal initially.
I'm pretty much ready to put the v4's on my other bike in the bin also.

Reactions: K78

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Are the rotors not good?

I was having second thoughts about spending £1500 for brakes, headset, pedals, cranks, stem, bars and wheels before seeing this thread.
My opinion is the floaters are too thin at 1.8mm. I want 2mm at least on the ebike. They look nice though.

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
I will have rethink for sure.

I thought everyone who had V4’s loved them?

My last bike was a Raleigh Marauder in the early 90’s 😊. I buying everything on others recommendations/opinions. I like the orange parts too. I’m a bit simple with things like that.

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
My opinion is the floaters are too thin at 1.8mm. I want 2mm at least on the ebike. They look nice though.
They do a 2.3mm heavy duty rotor. Running them for a while with my v4s and work well.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
They do a 2.3mm heavy duty rotor. Running them for a while with my v4s and work well.
Yes the non floating ones are ideal for the v4 at 2.3mm with them being designed to take the 3mm vented.
I bought the trp r1 for my hope equipped bike, also 2.3mm as I preferred how they look.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

My last bike was a Raleigh Marauder in the early 90’s 😊. I buying everything on others recommendations/opinions. I like the orange parts too. I’m a bit simple with things like that.
It's a thing, innit? You get something really nice and think that the manufacturer's other stuff must be just as good, but often it isn't ...

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
It's a thing, innit? You get something really nice and think that the manufacturer's other stuff must be just as good, but often it isn't ...
This is true.

It’s also easy with hope to choose the brake colour you like, then get carried away choosing same colour parts.

My frame is bare carbon with a slate grey Zeb. I thought a bit of colour would look good but it gets expensive quickly.

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
Nothing wrong with Hope, been using for over 20 years. The V4 floating rotors have been outstanding, I know 4 other riders that also have the same and they also have 0 issues.
Do the bright colours hold up?

Read a few people say they fade quick?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Do the bright colours hold up?

Read a few people say they fade quick?
Nope. My red stuff is now pink. Calipers, levers, stem and cranks. I didn't buy it, it came on a used bike I bought. I hate anodised tat and would much rather have black bits.

Last edited:

RiderOnTheStorm

I've been using forged 7150/7050 grade aluminum crank arms (similar to Hope's) for some time and found them very robust and durable, never managed to bend one. My experience with Hope product quality (stem, pedals) has been very positive except for the high prices rather difficult to justify (to my better half..)

Last edited:

K78

Jan 17, 2023
Manchester
I've been using forged 7150/7050 grade aluminum crank arms (similar to Hope's) for some time and found them very robust and durable, never managed to bend one. My experience with Hope product quality (stem, pedals) has been very positive except for the high prices rather difficult to justify (to my better half..)
Tell her to buy cheap bags, make up and perfume. See what reaction you get.

id rather have a easy life

Hicksy 92

Nov 23, 2018
Stonesfield Oxfordshire

Love my v4’s,, 400 miles in and still no issues,

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles