ISIS cranks are they handed?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
no...both standard thread.............either remove the 8 mm bolt and then use an extractor or just undo the 8 m bolt if they are the self extracting type.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Cranks are handed. The pedal thread on one side (can't remember off the top of my head) will be a left hand thread to stop the pedal undoing itself.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Cranks are handed. The pedal thread on one side (can't remember off the top of my head) will be a left hand thread to stop the pedal undoing itself.
yes the pedal thread on the crank is standard on the drive side and left handed on the non drive side............but he is asking a bout removing the cranks not the pedals.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Is he? His question is unclear on that.
well he says he is changing his sons cranks.......so I assume that means taking the existing ones off...........but he will also have to fir or refit pedals so all useful info.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am aware pedals are handed, it isthe cranks I'm not sure about.
Yep................cranks on both sides are standard thread.

The reason being that the crank is pushed onto a slight taper and held there by the 8mm bolt..........it is not threaded. The only thread involved is the bolt that pushes the crank onto the taper and crank rotation has not effect on that bolt.

Compare that to the situation with pedals. Pedals are held onto cranks with a thread. The crank rotation is forwards so on the drive side that rotation will act to tighten the thread...............on the non drive drive side the thread is left handed so the foreward rotation of the crank also tightens that thread ( hence pedals can be a swine to get off if left for any length of time without being removed!!) .

Curiously different motor manufacturers differ on whether the chainwheel or spider securing nut needs to be standard or left handed. Both use ISIS spindles but on a Bosch motor that nut is left handed, on a Specialized Brose motor it is standard thread!!

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
left and right?
motor and none motor side?
Look on the backside of the crank and you should see L or R markings. ISIS cranks can be put wrong and it will ruin the pedal thread. Don't ask how do I know..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles