• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Ep801 options

Fielonator

Aug 11, 2023
South East England
I've got an ep801 equipped Marin alpine trail and it's just too slow at 25kph. What are my options? NLS speedi looks ok for a simple option, EMax-tuning seems like a well developed system if they can get around the ep801 anti-hacking bastardry. Can anyone offer any advice for doing this without wasting money or making problems?

Cheers.

Eethon

Jun 9, 2023
UK
I've got an ep801 equipped Marin alpine trail and it's just too slow at 25kph. What are my options? NLS speedi looks ok for a simple option, EMax-tuning seems like a well developed system if they can get around the ep801 anti-hacking bastardry. Can anyone offer any advice for doing this without wasting money or making problems?

Cheers.
Emax is will do a custom tune for you that includes a key for the app. So if/when they enable the app for the 801 you can do it yourself.

I’m currently using this method and have a 55kph limit.

Eethon

Jun 9, 2023
UK
Had a blonde moment. I've been in conversation with the guys at emax, they said they could do something remotely but I'd need to connect to a pc.
Yes they do a remote PC session where they install a custom firmware on the motor.
Just remember at present if you update the firmware for any reason you would need them to do another remote Pc session. As they don’t leave you with the custom firmware (to keep it contained I assume)

At present the APP cannot do the unlock but you get a key for the app so if they ever do update it you will be able to then.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles