• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

EP8 options

Mike_H

Mar 21, 2023
Australia
I'm looking into options for derestricting my EP8 powered bike but am not sure whether software or hardware is the way to go.

I looked at the ST Unlocker app previously, but that seemed to just offer changing location to US and so increasing from 25 to 32kmh - not sure if that is still the case, but I'd prefer a bit more of a boost than that.

And with the hardware options, it seems that neither the Peartune or Speedbox will display the correct speed when above 23kmh. The Speedbox is correct up to 23 and stops at that value, Peartune always shows 50% of the true speed, which I assume means it stops assistance at 50kmh (no problem with that)

Can anyone offer any comments on experience with the deristricting the EP8? What product did you use, and what are the pros and cons that you found?

Thanks

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Why is de-restriction such a big deal legally? People do this to cars all the time and nobody blinks and eye. But, OMFG, de-restricting a GD bicycle is like breaking into a friggin bank. I get the warranty stuff, but if you're OK with no warranty, then why all the hub bub, Bub?

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
I recommend eplus flash
it derestrict to 60 kmh with correct speed displayed and boost curves by 30%

and accessible with etube even Stunlocker

here is their website.

now some screenshots of working ep8 with 4.1.10 race unlock

it's expensive but work with latest firmware and correct speed display and can be toggled (deactivate) with etube, unlock 50 or 60 kmh. they are working on ep6 and ep801 too.

the most powerfull derestrict software

Screenshot_2023-04-26-11-27-04-86_59263c52a61b7454476520f5211e5963.jpg Screenshot_2023-04-26-11-26-51-26_59263c52a61b7454476520f5211e5963.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles