Ep8 or bosch

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Hi new guy here i am currently riding a diamond back ranger 2 in the uk with the e8000 which has been 100% reliable looking to upgrade should i stick to shimano power ep8 or have a much bigger choice of bosch power been looking at cube 160,s

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Choose based on the bike not the motor.they're both decent motors.

If there are two bikes available that are very similar in geometry, specs, and price and the only difference is that one is bosch powered and the other is ep8, then I would go for the ep8 for the following reasons

1. Better handlebar controls and display
2. Ability to derestrict easier.

I say this as the owner of a bosch gen 4 cx powered bike. Bosch is more powerful than shimano, but I'd trade that for the above.

Last edited:

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Choose based on the bike not the motor.they'reh decent motors.

If there are two bikes available that are very similar in geometry, specs, and price and the only difference is that one is bosch powered and the other is ep8, then I would go for the ep8 for the following reasons

I say this as the owner of a bosch gen 4 cx powered bike. Bosch is more powerful than shimano, but I'd trade that for the above.
Thanks m team i really like the fact you can tune the shimano settings i know you can do the bosch too maybe on the kiox definitely on the nyon

I like the choice of tuning the shimano motor on the app i have stunlocker on my bike now i know you can tune the bosch on the nyon controller maybe kiox too but so many more bikes are running bosch sort of leaning towards a cube hpc 160 bike at the moment

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Keep in mind that Shimano are starting to not honour any warranty claims if any third party software has been connected, even if you've only used it to check settings and not make any tuning adjustments, which is obviously really unfortunate as fine tuning with stunlocker was one of the most attractive features of going for the Shimano.

The Bosch also seems to be quite a bit more efficient in the range it delivers for the same battery capacity for most people.

The Bosch can also be repaired and serviced, the Shimano's can't - well, not easily anyway.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Thanks m team i really like the fact you can tune the shimano settings i know you can do the bosch too maybe on the kiox definitely on the nyon

I like the choice of tuning the shimano motor on the app i have stunlocker on my bike now i know you can tune the bosch on the nyon controller maybe kiox too but so many more bikes are running bosch sort of leaning towards a cube hpc 160 bike at the moment
You can't alter the bosch motor settings with the kiox.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Keep in mind that Shimano are starting to not honour any warranty claims if any third party software has been connected, even if you've only used it to check settings and not make any tuning adjustments, which is obviously really unfortunate as fine tuning with stunlocker was one of the most attractive features of going for the Shimano.

The Bosch also seems to be quite a bit more efficient in the range it delivers for the same battery capacity for most people.

The Bosch can also be repaired and serviced, the Shimano's can't - well, not easily anyway.
If i go shimano i will not bother with stunlock i only used it to get to 20mph it made it much nicer to ride think im leaning towards the bosch just gotta find a bike now lol and sell mine.

crencos

May 18, 2021
Portugal
EP8 motors are like lottery. You can have a good one that doesn´t give you trouble and you can have problems with them. I have here 2 Orbea Rise with 2 years of riding with EP8 motors on the Shimano dealer for warranty replacement, both with the same symptoms, and the owners have to wait a lot because there aren´t motors to replace.
Never had to return a Bosch motor.

CliffP

Jan 24, 2023
San Antonio Texas

Interesting reply. Never thought of it that way

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I have the pole Voima bosch with the new smart system, wireless remote. Its minimalist. I like it. The power output appears to give a bit more immediate grunt that other brands. But unless racing for the win the other brand motore are very similar. And it wont matter at all if you aren't racing.

I personally didnt want a stupid big display so any bike that required one of those was out.

Decide the total features and geo that you want out of a bike and find that bike and buy it. If there's 2 brands offering a similar solution and ond gad your preferred motor choice then buy that.

Idlefrog

Aug 8, 2023
Gloucestershire
Using the Bosch Flow app on your phone you can tune the four power settings. For example I have edited the ECO mode to give more assistance.
Obviously you can't derestrict the bike, but you can change the power delivery settings.

RiderOnTheStorm

Bosch gets my vote.

I choose my ebikes based on motorization and frame design/geometry, in other words, the core components which cannot easily be replaced or upgraded.

I very much enjoy my Bosch CX Gen 4 (non-smart) motors and for some reason, I find the Purion display controller well designed and easy to use, without superfluous or unnecessary extra features.👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles