Enduro racing take 2

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Excellent stuff Rob and its clear to me that you've improved pretty rapidly lately. That jump at the start... I don't think many would have hit it as hard as you did, it must have felt like you were 50ft in the air..

I know even a small 1 foot jump can feel pretty unruly so hats off for nailing that.

You are inspiring loads to get out so keep it up and you'll carry on improving too

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Great vid - love your honesty and thats how we all feel when trying something new, and it shows that having a go is always the way forward!

sirshan

Oct 2, 2018
Oakland, CA USA
Nice job Rob, Id be interested in trying the Sea Otter Classic e-Bike Race they hold here by me in the US (April 2019 in Monterey, CA). Watching this just makes me want to train...I haven't really paid much attention to races out here in California, but Ill keep an eye out.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Really felt for you at the beginning of the vid Rob. Pre-race nerves can be difficult to deal with and doubt can creep in no matter how experienced a racer you are. Looked like you went on your own? It always helps if you have buddies to race with but the more you race the more you'll meet other riders that will help you through line choice, approach speeds etc as well as learning how to race (efficient use of practice time/remembering the tracks/preparation etc.).. IMO DH racing (with Enduro a close second) is the best way to improve your mtb trail riding skills and increase your speed on a mountain bike and will push you on faster. As you found out when you hit that first jump you're a better rider than you gave yourself credit for.

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
Well done Rob on your second race
You should be well stoked on your rides and from your footage you are a really good skilled rider matey , credit due where credits due ??. I can remember way way way back when racing downhill the sick feeling before races ,I really felt for you , but I also remember the high once completing the race it was amazing.
You wouldn’t be human if you didn’t feel the way you do pre race.
keep up the good work matey and E power to
You ??

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Well done. You've inspired me to enter my first race in nearly 20 years. Just bagged an entry for the ebike class at Ard Rock next year. Missus thinks I'm losing the plot as I'll be 57 by then. ?
Nice! I just tried for Arkrock and it’s already sold out for ebikes!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think that participation levels are going to shoot up next year, was interesting to see that the last round of the Welsh Gravity Enduro series had an extra stage in the E-Bike category that was a technical uphill run, something i think we will see more of.

Dwazzer

Oct 10, 2018
Cumbria UK
I managed to get an entry to the ARDROCK...! ? I was up at 6:15 sat at the computer, I got on at EXACTLY 6:30 and managed to get entries for me and my son...by the time I’d finished, I checked back and they were SOLD OUT! That was about 6:38am! ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Partly taking the piss Kernow

But there's no disputing the facts.Iif you look at UK DH race entry since the popularity rise of Enduro racing it's pretty plain to see the trend. DH race organisers no longer braking even due to low entries, Events being cancelled due to low entries. While Enduro races all over the place are selling out quickly.

Plus (personal opinion) any uphill in a gravity race just ruins it.

I know you're heavily involved with enduro with your daughter and her bf etc. so your view will be very different to mine. Don't take mine pesonally. It is what it is. Trends happen (back in the 90s it used to be XC Vs DH and DH killed off a lot of XC for a while). I'm just an old whingebag who misses the days when DH was properly popular in the UK. In reality the enduro scene isn't all that far off the old DH scene, the main difference being riding UP to do multiple descents Vs pushing up and repeating the same track to perfect riding it. I've always done both kinds of riding. Since before DH or Enduro were a thing. (In the early 90s I used to section and session descents at XC races and not really GAF about losing places on the climbs pretty much riding them like a mass start enduro - never palces welll but had a hell of a lot of fun doing them)

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Partly taking the piss Kernow

But there's no disputing the facts.Iif you look at UK DH race entry since the popularity rise of Enduro racing it's pretty plain to see the trend. DH race organisers no longer braking even due to low entries, Events being cancelled due to low entries. While Enduro races all over the place are selling out quickly.

Plus (personal opinion) any uphill in a gravity race just ruins it.

I know you're heavily involved with enduro with your daughter and her bf etc. so your view will be very different to mine. Don't take mine pesonally. It is what it is. Trends happen (back in the 90s it used to be XC Vs DH and DH killed off a lot of XC for a while). I'm just an old whingebag who misses the days when DH was properly popular in the UK. In reality the enduro scene isn't all that far off the old DH scene, the main difference being riding UP to do multiple descents Vs pushing up and repeating the same track to perfect riding it. I've always done both kinds of riding. Since before DH or Enduro were a thing. (In the early 90s I used to section and session descents at XC races and not really GAF about losing places on the climbs pretty much riding them like a mass start enduro - never palces welll but had a hell of a lot of fun doing them)

I know what you mean , I think enduro has become more popular for many reasons , and it’s crossing over into downhill . At many events you will see lots of riders pushing up,hill ,the format of an normal enduro with times to keep to , often gets changed into a mash up event where you simply ride as many sections as you can , some riders enter two categories like hard tail and full suss , or even ebike and normal bike now .
1 you don’t need a Dh bike
2 it’s easier to find places to practise enduro and the bike is a good all rounder when not racing and you can cover more miles and ride a bigger area etc
3 xc racers will also have a go as the fitness level climbing ability counts a lot therefore more entries .
4 less effort building trails as less jumps and purpose built structures are used . Plus enduro trails can follow natural routes with pedaling in between steep sections
5 uphill sorts the men from boys ?
6 lots of people chicken out when it comes to huge jumps on Dh

It does seem all racing is suffering the excellent uk series that began this year in Innerleithen went bust and final round was cancelled , the riders that had committed all lost thier entry fees which was a shame , it’s not cheap to commit to a series like that .
One of the two welsh series also ran into trouble last year for safety reasons and funding .
It seems the bigger events like the Ews and the recent european round at fort William are better attended , but they are only for the advanced riders really . Which I guess shows the commitment at the high end of the sport , but I think the big Dh events are also well attended by the top riders

Many of the enduro and downhill riders I know have come from motorcycle backgrounds , and they are leaving the motorcycles for the bikes . I think partly because venues are harder to find and people are seeing motorcycles as noisy polluting and damaging .
I think downhill gets a worse rap than enduro and xc for its impact on the ground and erosion . caused etc , plus I think safety cover insurance is getting harder to obtain in our nanny state , so going same way as motorcycles in a way , which also makes a lot of those riders turn towards enduro .

Interestingly we have a local xc series called the soggy bottom series , it held in steep woodland , the winter rounds become a complete mud bath and easier to ride on an enduro bike , this year it’s an xc race , followed by a downhill event on the same day . Why they don’t run a big enduro I dont know ? Making like the event described next .
We also have a great summer event run in steep woods , it has 3 rounds and no one knows the format until the race day . You have to ride the same bike for all 3 rounds , 3 rounds include an iliminator xc event , a normal xc and another will be a timed enduro .or perhaps a mash up enduro It’s a great mix and brings out riders with so many different skills fitness levels and bikes . It’s always won overall by the enduro riders , there are a few big jumps , but also a chicken line beside the jump so it suits all.
We’re seeing evolution of the sport I think , bikes have evolved a lot ,making big travel enduro bikes an all round option even for trail riding and trail centres . Riders can go out on an all day ride that flows and gives a combination of all off road fun . A young lad with a downhill bike has to rely on transport or push to a venue to get a ride , then come up against all the people who don’t want them using that venue.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I think that participation levels are going to shoot up next year, was interesting to see that the last round of the Welsh Gravity Enduro series had an extra stage in the E-Bike category that was a technical uphill run, something i think we will see more of.
I think most of the welsh enduros have had an uphill ebike section , in the last 2 years . They tend to be one of the more twisty parts of trail centre climbs , not particularly challenging climbs , more of a test of the fastest ebike in many ways . I don’t mean derestricted , as speeds will be below 15 on the climbing . Some could become a battery management competition if you dont have a spare

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles