eMTBers are like Photographers .. or vice versa .. (and now guitars..)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
not really on topic but..... im sure its fascinating but I dont get the obsession with photography... when I was making guitars I had to build a photography studio with ridiculous lights and stupid umbrellas that all flashed at the right time while running the camera on manual mode and changing all its stupid settings with exposures and iso's etc, I would rather have spent the time sticking pins in my eyes but, I had to do it..
all I wanna do is press a button and have pictures appear.. :D

however I did manage to get some decent shots with that setup in the end..

sorry, rant over :D

Body1.jpg
Glaive Bubinga Front Horitontal.jpg

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
That looks gorgeous, do you still make them as I'm guessing it's very time consuming!
My brother in-law has about 5 guitars but was seriously trumped by my niece's boyfriend who's a busker/semi professional singer/guitarist who's currently got about 30! - There was good money to be had busking in Liverpool before Covid!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I had to do it..
It's amazing how hard it is to take pictures of some things. Clothing for instance or bikes - Rob seems to have that one sussed now.

With your soldering and plumbing abilities I thought you'd have invented the first wind guitar ? A sort of blending of trombone and harp ?

Or maybe you could make a levo frame insert guitar ? Then when the crew stop for a rest you can stick the bikes shoulder strap on and start strumming out a few tunes for the guys.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
That looks gorgeous, do you still make them as I'm guessing it's very time consuming!
My brother in-law has about 5 guitars but was seriously trumped by my niece's boyfriend who's a busker/semi professional singer/guitarist who's currently got about 30! - There was good money to be had busking in Liverpool before Covid!
no mate, not made anything for about 6 years now, those pictures were the last ones I made and I still have them :D
it takes at least 2 months to make a guitar and with the plumbing work I have, its impossible to do either one correctly if you try to do both..

ive never been a guitar collector, im not even really a fan of posh guitars, here is a pic of my personal axe..

mahogany body.jpg

having said that, its not because im shy, this is my other choice of guitar, depending on where i was playing..

IMG_2880.jpg

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I thought this was really funny ... Read it and change "camera" for "emtb" and so many things are the same it's comical ..

It's as if it was written by @Gary !!

Well, as a commercial photographer for the past 30 years that idiot had no idea what he was talking about. Another lame article littered with factual inaccuracies and opinions based on no practical experience by a loser who probably is just pissed he can't afford or understand said technology so feel an overwhelming desire to be heard and made to feel like he's still relevant.. And most of the comments seem to agree. Then again, it is the internet.

Gordon

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Yeah, photography, guitars, bikes (all kinds). They're a nice hobby and a nice obsession to have.

I had 42mp of Sony A7R (MK i & II) full frame goodness until it all became too much and sold everything. I now have a Canon G7X MkII and it's great, but nowhere near as good. The Sony could almost see in pitch black!

Guitars, well, mainly bass for me.....I've had a few. Had one made for me by a fellow Scottish maker, ACG, 10 years ago and it was amazing, but I eventually figured out that it had too many strings! My ultimate bass is my 1980 Wal.

wal.jpg
acgrear.jpg
acgfront.jpg

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
ridiculous lights and stupid umbrellas that all flashed at the right time while running the camera on manual mode and changing all its stupid settings with exposures and iso's etc, I would rather have spent the time sticking pins in my eyes but, I had to do it..

Elf magic , with a bit of elf bondage . Who are to to judge ?

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
So back on topic?

Once upon a time, I carried a lovely olympus xa1 everywhere. I reckon Gary would approve - none of this big lens or fancy dial bs - just basic aperture priority and a reasonable lens. BMX of the mtb world?

Like most emtb's it wasn't waterproof , so like a true emtb rider I jumped into a series of irrational purchasing mistakes. All those underwater housings / cameras were bulky and clunky , and the pleasure of photography dwindled away.

Enter my giant - a nikon f90 with way too many long travel lenses, confusing electronics and more power than this mortal had any right to yield. Purchased around the same time as my first light weight digital , so that nikon sat on the shelf of broken dreams.

The SL habit hit hard, and a series of brief love affairs with light but low spec digital toys followed. Snaps without substance.

But then I spotted my kenevo prime. A relatively light olympus em1 , matched to a prime lens - sharp, fast, light, but still way more than this mere mortal could use. Carry enough batteries and pick the battle wisely, it's hard to tell we're talking low power electronics. Hmmmm.....that thing must be 9 years old now!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
And also, to prove that I'm a rung or 2 up from a drummer, I also play guitar!

Here's my 1981 Aria Pro II. You might've noticed that I'm a lefty.....

Oh, and very nice guitars Dobby!

View attachment 61638 View attachment 61639
a little research may prove me wrong but im sure that those guitars, like the Westone thunder range of the age were all made in the matsumoku factory in Japan, they actually used proper luthiers rather than the Chinese factories that seem to round up the local farmers and teach them one part of the making process... the proof is in the pudding and the quality of those 80's guitars is shown in the fact that yours still looks great!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles