EMTB, should I.. Shouldn't I...? I just have.

Jessmolly007

Sep 7, 2021
Huddersfield
Hello all, my name is Paul and I'm from Huddersfield, can we meet up, oops sorry wrong website.Anyway.
Sorry if the following is a little long-winded, but I wanted to give my opinion, we like that in Yorkshire, for anybody considering laying out a sizeable wack of their hard earned cash on an EMTB.

I have been pondering on the question for some time now on whether to jump in so..I'm 57 now, 58 next month, a keen MTB'er till my mid 40's then found recovery from some of the knocks was taking its toll. So I went road and have been road biking since, until lockdown, and my riding buddy struggling with family etc.

So just before xmas last I purchased a 2nd hand Cannondale F6 and went out on the local tracks and byways and loved it, took it easy in the snow and ice doing around 13ml but enjoyed it immensely. Now I got to thinking would an EMTB give me a little more freedom with the distance I could cover? So I checked out the LBS and Halfords and the likes but didnt find anything I like, then came across the Vitus range on Wiggle. Did a little research on the company, bike reviews and Utube vids. All looked promising so I jumped in feet 1st and purchased the E-Sommet VR. What do I think after a week??

WOW..I love it, its a Happy Adventurous Beast of a bike. Ok its not the best specs, see Vitus website for more info, but for me doing 3/4 XC rides a week its got everything. Point it downhill and its off and away but with the drop seat makes it feels secure and responsive. Uphill it is a beast of bike, I honestly think I could get up anything on this ( infact I managed to get up a track today, steep, long and narly but I managed, then, at the top, realised I was still in ECO...idiot. I did a 23ml er on Sunday and have done 19ml today, hopefully the maps, elevation and bike pics will appear below.

As far as the Modes go I cannot advise on because I havent been out of ECO yet, but I will update soon. The hydraulic disc brakes are shit hot, 3 rabbits owe their continued existence to those brakes. Suspension feels great, back wheel sticks to the floor and the front soaks all the bumbs up. At 1st I thought the handlebars were a tad long but have come to like their response on the steering, there great.

So finally in conclusion, if you are in 2 minds whether to go EMTB I suggest you get down to your LBS, or online store, with an open cheque and get it sorted, you will NOT regret I am sure of it.

My next step is Meltham loop and a trip down to Wharncliffe/Grenoside, and go Tubeless.

I did a lot of reading on the forum before buyin and found everybody loved what they were doing, so thanks for help all of you. My next thread wont be as long ..promise.

Paul.
20210905_141943.jpg
20210907_005909.jpg
20210908_095854.jpg
20210908_130809.jpg
20210908_130900.jpg
20210908_130948.jpg
InkedScreenshot_20210907-140626_Fitbit_LI.jpg
InkedScreenshot_20210908-133140_Fitbit_LI.jpg
Screenshot_20210907-140631_Fitbit.jpg
Screenshot_20210908-114919_Fitbit.jpg

20210905_104859.jpg

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Looking forward to seeing the Meltham pics, lived there a few years ago.
@Slymobi might have some routes for you near the Woodhead valley.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Glad you're enjoying the bike. But unless you're running the shock locked out all the time how the hell has that mudguard not been smashed clean off?

Also. Is that pump for rescue call outs to your roadie friends?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Jessmolly007 Welcome to the Forum! :)

Ref mudguards: When I used a blade, I had mine hovering above the wheel, suitably far away to avoid the wheel on full compression. I must confess that I never thought of mounting it the way you have done! But if it works, it works! :)

Jessmolly007

Sep 7, 2021
Huddersfield
Glad you're enjoying the bike. But unless you're running the shock locked out all the time how the hell has that mudguard not been smashed clean off?
Hi Gary, absolute love this bike, defo not locked but it does go thinner ??, the pump has gone , I didnt have the correct adapter with it anyway..doh.. What pump would you suggest out of interest ?? I have a topeak pocket rocket, do you reckon this will this suffice ?
Also. Is that pump for rescue call outs to your roadie friends?

Jessmolly007

Sep 7, 2021
Huddersfield
Nice to see Emley Mast in the photo, welcome to the world of emtb and this forum
Thanks Tubby, it is a very positive forum, which is why I went ahead and purchased, you notice the additional makedo mast on the right, they have replaced some of the 'top' of Emley mast recently, with helicopters and crazy people hanging from it as the new 'parts' have been lowered..took days.

Jessmolly007

Sep 7, 2021
Huddersfield
@Jessmolly007 Welcome to the Forum! :)

Ref mudguards: When I used a blade, I had mine hovering above the wheel, suitably far away to avoid the wheel on full compression. I must confess that I never thought of mounting it the way you have done! But if it works, it works! :)
Hi steve, after the 1st ride the rear sus was caked, so I thought this would just stop some of it, I have the sag at about 30% and it seems ok but the guard is shaped to a narrow end, It works so like you say.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Sounds like you are a happy man with your purchase lol enjoy the bike and deffo go tubeless no flats in 3 years definitely give wharncliffe a go but try and go with somebody who knows the trails theres do many there ?

Jessmolly007

Sep 7, 2021
Huddersfield
Sounds like you are a happy man with your purchase lol enjoy the bike and deffo go tubeless no flats in 3 years definitely give wharncliffe a go but try and go with somebody who knows the trails theres do many there ?
Hi Chris, thanks for the info and nearer the time I'll ask the question for somebody in the know about wharncliffe.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@paul20v I have alot of bikes. Some of them are running tubeless. Some aren't and some even have one tyre tubeless and the other with a tube. Crazyee huh? ?
when riding with CO2 I carry a tube rather than plugs (but that's a whole other off topic discussion to have)

I've no idea what you've been fed. Or whether it was BS or not. Cyclists and cycling in general is full of blokes who think they know what they're talking about and even worse folk who love to blindly repeat information they've read or been told without ever actually checking the validity of what they are blabbing on about. You're more likely to get a sensible discussion at last orders down the boozer

As for CO2 and sealant. The main issue It's not really just that CO2 doesn't play well with the sealant. it's just carbon dioxide afterall. But because it's stored in liquid form, when released thermodynamics mean it becomes very cold. this can cause thermal shock to latex based sealants and fuck with them. basically freezing the sealant and initiating it's polymerization (how it plugs your punctures) .The solution to this is a fairly simple one if you use a little common sense. ie. fill the tyre with the valve towards the top and the remaining sealant will be pooled in the bottom of the tyre and shouldn't be so easily harmed by the cold air rushing through the tyre.
TBF you should also periodically check and top-up or clean out your tyre sealant anyway

Jessmolly007

Sep 7, 2021
Huddersfield
Nice one.

I went up the mast in the early 80's, on an Institute of Mech Engineers visit.
It was cloudy, so the room at the top could have been a Comms Room anywhere... hay ho.

Then more recently, I lived in Emley for a few years. Decent place, decent bridleways from the front door.
Hi Kilham. 1000ft high there about. Like I said earlier they have replaced some of the communication tower at the very top, helicopters and some brave souls hanging by a rope. Yes as you say plenty exploring can be done around here, which is why I think an EMTB is a great buy. I'll keep you informed.
Paul

Jessmolly007

Sep 7, 2021
Huddersfield
@paul20v I have alot of bikes. Some of them are running tubeless. Some aren't and some even have one tyre tubeless and the other with a tube. Crazyee huh? ?
when riding with CO2 I carry a tube rather than plugs (but that's a whole other off topic discussion to have)

I've no idea what you've been fed. Or whether it was BS or not. Cyclists and cycling in general is full of blokes who think they know what they're talking about and even worse folk who love to blindly repeat information they've read or been told without ever actually checking the validity of what they are blabbing on about. You're more likely to get a sensible discussion at last orders down the boozer

As for CO2 and sealant. The main issue It's not really just that CO2 doesn't play well with the sealant. it's just carbon dioxide afterall. But because it's stored in liquid form, when released thermodynamics mean it becomes very cold. this can cause thermal shock to latex based sealants and fuck with them. basically freezing the sealant and initiating it's polymerization (how it plugs your punctures) .The solution to this is a fairly simple one if you use a little common sense. ie. fill the tyre with the valve towards the top and the remaining sealant will be pooled in the bottom of the tyre and shouldn't be so easily harmed by the cold air rushing through the tyre.
TBF you should also periodically check and top-up or clean out your tyre sealant anyway
Heyup Gary, I know what you mean, lots of differing views and opinions. I have ordered some co2 canisters so your info will be muchly appreciated, cheers
Paul

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles