EMTB manufacturers are price gouging.

LeftItLancs

Apr 12, 2021
North UK
You're playing the 'victim' card.

Ooh, another conspiracy theorist!
laugh.gif

Do you ever discuss these issues like a grown up, or do you just attack the person?

Another one who slumbers around this site, dictating what can be discussed or not, as if they own the place.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
The price of an EMTB is likely inflated by 50-80%, depending on the brand/model.

Do you mean the margin between retail price and the cost of manufacture? Gotta pay for the supply chain, distributiors, reps, bike shop mechanic, bike shop sales person, warranty claims, and sponsored riders. 40-50% markup in retail is quite common, business costs add up fast.

johnnystorm

Jun 19, 2023
Suffolk, UK
Again, most of those commenting here are in Europe. ...snip.... Are things that different in Europe right now?
Sounds identical to be honest. There are huge discounts across the board.

I think the problem is that some feel that a bike sold with 50% off is still making the retailer and manufacturer fat profits when the reality is they are minimising losses by trying to clear the decks of depreciating assets.

I'm still struggling with this concept that a full power eMTB is some kind of human right and not just a plaything. I consider myself very fortunate I can afford one but it's not a matter of life and death.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Right, so the place to get your data is not the guy at your bike shop. And no, I won't share client data. But I certainly would like to.

And no, coffee shops aren't high margin businesses. Also, wow there are a lot of guys who work for bike firms on this forum who don't like this being shared. Feel free to post financial statements to refute. Not recommended, but would be enjoyable to watch.
At this point, you just look like a Troll. You started this thread with a single sentence and refuse to back it up in any way shape or form.
None of the bike brands have a monopoly they are all competing for the same pie. Same goes for motor and battery manufacturers to a certain extent. If you think you can make bikes at half the price then get to it.
Can I say "put up or shut up" without getting told off? If so, please consider it said.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If I thought that my emtb supplier was "price gouging", I have a simple action to take: buy or not.

The fact is that a perfect market exists: many buyers and many sellers. The price goes up and down in line with the stock available to sell vs the demand. We have seen this before during and after the pandemic.

During the pandemic I sold my Focus Jam 2 9.6 for an unbelievably high price. All I had to do then was to buy another. After weeks of internet cruising (and many false leads), I found the bike of my dreams (Merida e-160 9000). It was the last one of its size that was for sale in the UK. Yet I paid £800 below rrp, plus some other benefits! Two years later, because of the same pandemic, that exact same spec brand-new bike is now up for sale £2500 cheaper! That has damaged the second-hand sale value of my bike, but I am not the least bit unhappy. I suspect that at the time, my supplier may have thought that I was the one doing the gouging!

You may not like capitalism, and it really is awful, until compared with all the other economic systems.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Why don't you just get a better job?
Then you can buy all the nice bikes you want.
Maybe you could do it merely by working harder, rather than spending
all your time on the internet complaining about how awful your life is.
I could do so much better, but damn my fillet steak habit :(

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
The guys that make the bikes, parts and the guys that sell the parts, bikes are all in business. When you own a business the idea is to make money.
The guys that buy the bikes want them. They work and so spend there money how they please.
No one puts a gun to there head and makes them buy. It’s there choice.
Life is expensive but we are only here once so enjoy it. Buy your bike or stop moaning. 👍

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Highest gross profit margin I know of is...............................Coffee in a coffee shop..............we should all boycott them ( not least because the coffee is invariably horrible anyway!).............
The real high end ones treat the civets badly according to
If I thought that my emtb supplier was "price gouging", I have a simple action to take: buy or not.

The fact is that a perfect market exists: many buyers and many sellers. The price goes up and down in line with the stock available to sell vs the demand. We have seen this before during and after the pandemic.

During the pandemic I sold my Focus Jam 2 9.6 for an unbelievably high price. All I had to do then was to buy another. After weeks of internet cruising (and many false leads), I found the bike of my dreams (Merida e-160 9000). It was the last one of its size that was for sale in the UK. Yet I paid £800 below rrp, plus some other benefits! Two years later, because of the same pandemic, that exact same spec brand-new bike is now up for sale £2500 cheaper! That has damaged the second-hand sale value of my bike, but I am not the least bit unhappy. I suspect that at the time, my supplier may have thought that I was the one doing the gouging!

You may not like capitalism, and it really is awful, until compared with all the other economic systems.
I got a great deal on a levo from Tredz one month ago then this week they add another 10% off I don't feel gouged but I do wonder if people were really buying at the rrp.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
I got a great deal on a levo from Tredz one month ago then this week they add another 10% off I don't feel gouged but I do wonder if people were really buying at the rrp.
I paid RRP, £4900, back in March ‘22 for my stereo sl. You can pick up a TM for £3700 at the moment. I don’t feel gouged either. Mildly frustrated that it decreases the 2nd value of my bike but I’ve had 2 years use already. Back then I felt lucky just to find the bike I wanted in stock and not having to wait months for a factory order.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Same here. In January 2022 for wife and me found two Trek Rail 5's with 500w batteries for £4,600 each when they were in short supply. Recently on sale for £3,000 (35% off) because the market is overstocked. It's how markets work.

Now out of warranty but had two great years use out of the bikes, no complaints. Have nice upgrades on the bikes and the motors are still current. Have had absolutely no issues with the bikes, can't see any reason to change them tbh.

Last edited:

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
I know it's a free market and supply/demand plus competition controls prices but I still can't fathom why a motorbike is so much cheaper. Look at the Tony Bou replica trials bike - alloy frame, monoshock rear, telescopic forks, hydraulic disk brakes - all the same tech but a highly sophisticated IC engine/gearbox compared to a simple electric motor £8,800 vs top spec eMTB £14k - Honda must have their supply chains nailed down or something.
Screenshot_20240209-120020.jpg

johnnystorm

Jun 19, 2023
Suffolk, UK
I know it's a free market and supply/demand plus competition controls prices but I still can't fathom why a motorbike is so much cheaper. Look at the Tony Bou replica trials bike - alloy frame, monoshock rear, telescopic forks, hydraulic disk brakes - all the same tech but a highly sophisticated IC engine/gearbox compared to a simple electric motor £8,800 vs top spec eMTB £14k - Honda must have their supply chains nailed down or something. View attachment 134112
Honda annual turnover $132 billion

Specialized annual turnover $0.5 billion

Motorbike frame sizes = 1

Levo frame sizes S1-S6

First Honda motorbike 1949

First Specialized eBike 2009

That the two objects have wheels and a motor is a red herring. The two use cases place a higher burden on the ebike manufacturer's design process.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Strong? Light? Cheap? Choose 2.

Motorbikes don't have to be (as) light, and that makes a massive, massive difference to costs. Everything on a good mountain bike is at or past spec in terms of weight / strength. You can buy a full suspension bike from Halfords for peanuts but it'll be horrible as it will weigh a ton and the suspension will be awful. Also an S-Works Levo is equivalent to a £50k+ motorcycle, not a run of the mill bike.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Paying over £8k for an electric mountain bike is outrageous

You could buy a pen for that much cash!

I wonder how many pens like that get sold.

I wonder how many Tony Bou replicas are sold annually - I bet it's less than 1000 and that certainly isn't a run of the mill motorbike, compared to how many s-works Levos . .

Alloy frames have been around for 70yrs, disk brakes 50yrs - all the dev work has been done!

Too many older guys with disposable income buying ebikes maybe?

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
The motorbike frame is robot welded together in one size in 10 minutes from a dozen or so parts made from relatively cheap materials.
The typical carbon fibre emtb frame is made in 4+ sizes, laid up by hand in custom tooling from hundreds of panels from relatively expensive CF prepreg.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I wonder how many pens like that get sold.

I wonder how many Tony Bou replicas are sold annually - I bet it's less than 1000 and that certainly isn't a run of the mill motorbike, compared to how many s-works Levos . .

Alloy frames have been around for 70yrs, disk brakes 50yrs - all the dev work has been done!

Too many older guys with disposable income buying ebikes maybe?

When I first considered buying an emtb I was comparing prices to motorbikes as I was riding motorbikes beforehand, and was also astonished at the prices of emtb’s. Then the cost of maintaining emtb’s v motorbikes just seemed outrageous too. However, when I account for the fun factor, the smiles emtb’s provide are priceless, so now it all seems reasonable.

I’m lucky that I can purchase bikes on a Cycle to Work scheme, so they’re almost half their retail price, there’s no way I’d spend £8k+ on an emtb, not a chance

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
When I first considered buying an emtb I was comparing prices to motorbikes as I was riding motorbikes beforehand, and was also astonished at the prices of emtb’s. Then the cost of maintaining emtb’s v motorbikes just seemed outrageous too. However, when I account for the fun factor, the smiles emtb’s provide are priceless, so now it all seems reasonable.

I’m lucky that I can purchase bikes on a Cycle to Work scheme, so they’re almost half their retail price, there’s no way I’d spend £8k+ on an emtb, not a chance
Same - my eMTB mates all said don't worry about the cost because you forget as soon as you ride it out the door . . and they were right!

And strangely now I have one I have no desire at all to ride a motorbike.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Same - my eMTB mates all said don't worry about the cost because you forget as soon as you ride it out the door . . and they were right!

I sold my last motorbike and turned it into two mtb’s 😆

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas

C'mon, you realize you can still do both...LOL! Man, I love off road on two wheels in the dirt. I'll take it any way I can get it. And before some know-it-all...LOL!...chimes in about some rich 5%, disposable income malarkey, I'm retired on a fixed income, and it ain't no 6-digit retirement...a fraction of that. I still work part time to pay for my sins...ah, I mean habits. BTW, that's a 2009 Honda XR650, not a $14,000 KTM. 😄
IMG_20230501_125103173_HDR.jpg

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Apparently Bike manufacturers are not doing as well as some people would have you think. THIS guy apparently has lots of "connections" to explain it all and he seems to think that there are a "bunch of corrections" coming in 2024 which makes one think that no one is making that much money in the bike industry. I have friends in the industry (one co owns a pretty big bike store and the other owns a bike company), Neither of them are rich men.

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
EMTB prices have dropped significantly over the past year, I don't know if we could say the bubble has burst but with so much choice now and so many good brands and more been manufactured and with all the brand competition I think its a good thing they have come down in price, I think its more now of which manufacturers brand some one wants as to what spec as most are specked up so well now. you say about how much they charge for a bike, but you are not thinking about the supply chain of all the parts getting to one point, the people who are putting these bikes together, pricing added on incase of warranty claims as all business's do this not just bike manufacturers, what about the bike shops independents and your small local shops trying hard to stay in business, or the large chains. everybody needs to take wage and pay their own bills. business rates, electricity.its never ending, again some one said earlier, if you cant afford but a cheaper bike or dont buy at all. it may sound cruel but its right.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles