Emtb for very tall people :) - size advice

_Tom_

Jul 7, 2019
EU
6’8’’, inseam 38.5’’, 225 lbs. Looking for a first emtb, any ideas or should I just throw in the towel and walk instead :)...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
6’8’’, inseam 38.5’’, 225 lbs. Looking for a first emtb, any ideas or should I just throw in the towel and walk instead :)...
Weight isn’t an issue, though you may want to look at a coil shock, fit is the bigger question, though there are now quite a few big bikes out there, the XL Mondrakers for example, although they run the older generation Bosch motors and are likely to be replaced with new models shortly.

A lot of the new models being currently launched have XL sizes with much longer geometry

_Tom_

Jul 7, 2019
EU
I was looking at a decoy xxl, but the problem was also the seat post height (I think I would need a 150+ mm bar riser or my back would kill me....). A decoy XXXL with a bigger headtube and longer wheelbase would almost fit...

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
on an xl levo with a 34 inch inseam the stock post was right at the max

i had to use a dorky 45 degree/90mm riser to replace the zero degree/50 mm + an 80mm riser bar to replace the stock 30 mm rise for a total of 110 mm rise. This to get the seat and bars level. Something to remember also is that as you raise the seat reach increases. In my case i set the seat all the way forward, 9point8 makes a forward offset dropper

_Tom_

Jul 7, 2019
EU
I have a Nicolai XXL custom for test, but still it feels much too small...but since its a first ebike i could be wrong...should I post a photo so any of you more experienced guys could help with an opinion?

_Tom_

Jul 7, 2019
EU
:)

20200720_174536_resized.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
And that’s an XXL? See what you mean - I don’t think it’s too small but you are maxed out on it so to speak - did you speak with Nicolas about any custom options?

_Tom_

Jul 7, 2019
EU
Thats the biggest frame - an XXL with added 60 mm spacer/riser (still too low), and the seat/dropper is also too low.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
I'm a fairly average sized chap so can't offer much direct advice, but would say looking at that photo you almost need an entire bike which is 25% bigger. 29er wheels will be a good start but I'm thinking anything 'off the shelf' will always be making do with too small really.

Edit. Sorry 25% is probably hyperbole, but 10% definitely would help.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ben Cathro is same height as you, but a lot lighter, however he rides a Santa Cruz Heckler in XXL

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
It's really just your height, as others have said. I'd definitely go for 29" wheels though. That should be a good starting point for narrowing down the options. Below are a couple of options I found, expensive and in Germany. I would be conscious of trying not to put too much force on the seat tube. Click right on the picture of the bikes to get the xxl versions.

Last edited:

_Tom_

Jul 7, 2019
EU
It's really just your height, as others have said. I'd definitely go for 29" wheels though. That should be a good starting point for narrowing down the options. Below are a couple of options I found, expensive and in Germany. I would be conscious of trying not to put too much force on the seat tube. Click right on the picture of the bikes to get the xxl versions.

Thanks, I will look it up. Btw. the Nicolai front wheel on the photo is a 29 :)

cep32

Jun 23, 2020
New Zealand
I'm also 6'8" tall but a fair bit heavier than you at 250lbs or so. I ride one of these KONA BIKES | ELECTRIC | KONA ELECTRIC | Remote CTRL that I have customised to suit me. Changes have been, 29er front wheel, both wheels DT Swiss H1700, new fork so I can run a longer steerer tube and a whole stack of spacers, 50mm rise Spank handlebar.

I went down this route as I could get the base bike for $6000 NZD which, at the time, was by far the cheapest proper eMTB available here in New Zealand.

I've found it really great for the riding I do (Nelson NZ for anyone who knows it) and the 130mm rear travel doesn't seem to hold me back from where I want to be.

One thing I do appreciate is the long chainstays. It seems to help keep the front end on the ground on the climbs (something I've struggled with for ever) and keeps the front wheel weighted nicely through the corners on the descents.

The other option that hasn't been mentioned is a mondraker. I test rode a couple and found them fantastic. Just a bit spendy for me.

why not go for a tailored build? let them build a a bike that fits you. I saw they built a bike for a 2.8 m guy, but it was not an ebike. but a tailormade regular xc bike, but they used the parts and tubing from G1. As long as it's feasible they will build it for you. It's defenitly worth a try, I've not tried the G1 EBOXX, but I have the G1, it's a great bike, I love the geometry and sizing, but the one you tested is too small, and cockpit too low. you need a tailor made frame.
1659136586667.png

So far If I would get an E bike now, it would be G1 EBOXX.
1659137542841.png

Sweet bike, this one has EXT E Storia shock and the EXT Era fork the first version is pictured, but they probably use Era V2 now. Great suspension. but you can get select the parts you want.
G1 EBOXX
( same geometry as Geometron/Nicolai G1, I have one) has longer reach than GT1 EBOXX(touring bike geometry)
I would go for G1 EBOXX, it suits me. but of course I use a riser bar, and set up the cockpit to fit me.

1659137964473.png

But as you are too tall for the largestt frame you need to go for tailored bike, so you can select the numbers you need.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles