I like the look of this Nicolai’s EBOXX E14

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Looks like a nice bike for high rollers :cool:
I wonder how long it would take to recoup the cost of the Rohloff hub option, considering the cost of replacing a cassette and chain every so often.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am a big Nicolai fan, but not of that, heaviest motor, heaviest rear hub out there, that bike had got to be pushing 30kg.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Costing €8999, the Bosch Performance CX powered EMTB is handmade in Germany. With some unique features, including a Rohloff hub that allows electronic shifting under high load and a belt drive, this sure is one innovative bike! No derailleur and a belt instead of a chain make for a radically looking ebike.
Nicolai have custom tuned the Bosch CX motor to work with the software in the EBOXX, and like most Bosch powered systems includes a 500Wh battery, with an integrated battery in the downtube that can be removed for charging.
What’s Gates Carbon Drive? It’s a carbon reinforced belt that is supposed to be as stiff as a chain but have a longer life. It is run dry so needs no lubrication. It’s also supposedly maintenance free. I’d be really interested to see how it copes with copious amounts of British mud to really test those claims.
No derailleur means that it gets a super clean look around the back wheel. It’s the worlds first EMTB partnered with a Gates Belt drive so Nicolai are...

Continue reading...

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Going in the right direction with the new motors getting more and more tourque. I don’t like the additional unsprung weight with the hub placement . Nice that it has the tensioner at the Bosch motor but you’re limited how short the chainstays can be made with those motors. I’m still in favour of a shimano motor on a high single pivot bike with the rohloff buried in the center of the pivot. No gears or freehub at the rear wheel weighing down the suspension and weight is more centralized. I now think the best would be a bike similar to the new gt semi high pivot downhill bike with a split pivot system. Weight would be central and lower than high single pivot . One short bmx chain from the crankset/motor to the hub justabove the motor at the suspension main pivot/rohloff hub and another bmx chain(longer /the length of the chainstays) from the main pivot/rohloff to the single/non freehubbed cog at the rear wheel. Split pivot makes it unnecessary to have a tensioner apart from a slight adjust from sliding dropouts

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles