Elevating an E-mountain bike for working on.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2899
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2899

This may be a dumb question. In the past when I've wanted to rotate the back wheel of my hard tail mountain bike I've just lifted and turned the pedals. I'm not finding this so easy with my E-Mountain bike. At some point I will buy a Park Tool stand but does anyone have any cheap suggestions in the mean time? Ideally one that allows me to work on the bike with both hands. I don't need anything for major work for the moment, just cleaning and oiling.

Alan

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Bike stand on Amazon
61NJjW45JNL._SL1000_.jpg

D

Deleted member 2899

Don't pay a fortune for a Parktools bike stand, there are lots of alternatives. I paid £80 for my workstand about five years ago and they can be got for less, even now. I used mine for its intended purpose and also use it when I wash the bikes.

Bike Tools Workstand | Merlin Cycles
I've seen a Park Tool PCS-9 for £70 on eBay and £83.99 on Amazon. It looks a little more sturdy than some of the alternatives, I have to say, so I wouldn't mind paying that amount but I'm thinking of getting a dropper post at the moment. I've spent a fortune of late, considering that I only went into the shop for 2 inner tubes.

Alan

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
For quick things now after every ride I -
Pop back brake on, pull on bars from the back of the bike, once it’s resting on the seat lower the bars to a protective mat on the floor.
Clean and lube, throw it back on its wheels.

Having a bulging disc I find this easier than trying to lift it into a work stand and it costs nothing.

D

Deleted member 2899

For quick things now after every ride I -
Pop back brake on, pull on bars from the back of the bike, once it’s resting on the seat lower the bars to a protective mat on the floor.
Clean and lube, throw it back on its wheels.

Having a bulging disc I find this easier than trying to lift it into a work stand and it costs nothing.
I was advised some years ago that it is not a good idea to wash and lube bikes upside down so I try to avoid it. It may have been something to do with the liquids getting into places that they shouldn't but I don't recall exactly. I also think it can scrape components like the brake and gear levers and the power meter. It looks like I've already done the latter whilst changing a puncture.I also find turning an e-bike over in this way quite awkward and I feel that I could risk putting my back out. Lifting straight up feels easier to me. I guess it a case of what feel right and what feels right for me may not feel right for you. For the moment I think I am going to try suspending it from my garage rafters and see how that works.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I did build a wood stand for mine with a bar through the crank, you can buy them ready made, but I found that method to hard on my back.
On its back allows me to quickly lube, clean the wheels and hubs, clear motor cover of mud (can’t see it if it’s not upside down) few mins and most post ride jobs are down pain free for me..

D

Deleted member 2899

I read a review of something similar that said the plastic wasn't strong enough to support a full suspension bike so I would be surprised if it would take an electric mountain bike. Have you used this and know that it works? I'm really looking for personal recommendations. Even I'm capable of searching the Web for things that may work.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
For just oiling the chain allen key in the crank that allows you to rotate the crank backwards to oil it without lifting.

I did once think of a cheap electric hoist to lift the bike in the garage, didn't pursue it though, was thinking how to make an attachment that would stop the bike swinging while i worked on it.

D

Deleted member 2899

For just oiling the chain allen key in the crank that allows you to rotate the crank backwards to oil it without lifting.

I did once think of a cheap electric hoist to lift the bike in the garage, didn't pursue it though, was thinking how to make an attachment that would stop the bike swinging while i worked on it.
Not sure I know what you mean, could you explain a little more please. Allen key in the crank that is. I've seen a video of someone doing this with a piece of wood but there is nowhere on my motor to sprag against as there is on the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
On the Shimano system you can't pedal backwards, on the front crank they have a Allen bolt holding the chainring on, a quick fix is to put an Allen key on these points which allows you to use the key to rotate the crank backwards while you lube the chain..

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
I read a review of something similar that said the plastic wasn't strong enough to support a full suspension bike so I would be surprised if it would take an electric mountain bike. Have you used this and know that it works? I'm really looking for personal recommendations. Even I'm capable of searching the Web for things that may work.
I have two of these stands for my two e-trance bikes, and have been using them since last summer with zero problems. Awkward at times to place the bikes on them due to cables getting in the way, but I have found nothing better at this price point and do not regret the purchase.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yes. I have one. It lives in my car and is used when I wash the bike before putting it back in the car.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles