Ebike Garmin apps ~ UPDATE: new multi battery support

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hello,

as I also ride Turbo Levo and likes to ride with my Garmin instead of smartphone, I developed applications specifically for ebikes which communicates via ANT+ connectivity (which all Turbo Levos supports) without need to be setting up any fake-channel. So, in case somebody is interested in similar setup, here are they:

Ebike Field behave like simple datafield which you can configure to your preferred screen layout. It can show both battery level and current assist mode and it supports wide range of Garmin devices (EDGE and watches). You can even configure what and how it should be shown on screen. Additionally it support to render graphs of battery state and used assist mode during whole activity to Garmin Connect, which is perfect for evaluating your battery consumption. Version 2.0 changelog with multi battery/bike pairing feature.

Ebike Field "Nerd Style" does the same as first app but is specifically for watches and tries to maximize number of information on watch screen while remaining usable. It is even able to remind you in case you are off your preloaded route/course and you can reconfigure shown metrics on screen in app settings via Garmin Connect Mobile app.

Ebike Diagnostics is app with ability to read lots of useful information from bike and is even able to change bike wheel circumference. Unfortunately, no full support for new 2019 FSR Levo. This app is only for my donators.

More detailed description of all applications can be found under provided links on Garmin Connect IQ app store. More interesting features are on the way. Enjoy and let me know your thoughts!

Detailed review for German-speaking friends:
Connect IQ App EBike Field und EBike Diagnostics im Praxistest » GPS Radler

20181011_160725s.jpg

20180922_170254ss.jpg

20181011_165624s.jpg

pcgraphs.jpg

Update: 2.0 with multi bike/battery support and more: Ebike Garmin apps ~ UPDATE: new multi battery support - EMTB Forums

Last edited:

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Well, the truth is that I have a lot of plans for future releases and version for Edge devices is one of them. I definitely want to elaborate feasibility of edge support soon to check possibilities there. But it is quite time consuming so it all depends whether I will know some people who will appreciate it as I am personally fine with watch version. :p

So thank you for your note, I know there is at least one for edge support now. :cool:

Superlukey

Aug 25, 2018
Hertfordshire
Sounds amazing. We'll done! I was only looking on the app store the other day for something like this. I'll check the release notes but don't suppose it works with the Garmin 235 does it?

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Unfortunately no, Garmin 235 is quite old device already and doesn't have enough resources to run such complex datafield. But I want to try to evaluate possibility of some simple version with reading only ebike data which may run on such device, so stay tuned! :geek:

Jrwilliams7

Sep 15, 2018
California
Just got it, now I need to figure how to get it paired and on the watch to display the data field.

Could you walk me through it ?

Panigale

Sep 13, 2018
Norway
Well, the truth is that I have a lot of plans for future releases and version for Edge devices is one of them. I definitely want to elaborate feasibility of edge support soon to check possibilities there. But it is quite time consuming so it all depends whether I will know some people who will appreciate it as I am personally fine with watch version. :p

So thank you for your note, I know there is at least one for edge support now. :cool:
One more for Edge, please just do it;)(y)

CaptainJoe

Sep 12, 2018
Aachen, Germany
Yes, Edge support would be awesome!

Plus: Any chance this would run (maybe in a simpler version) on a Forerunner 735XT or comparable FRs?

Great job, BTW!

Last edited:

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
My nearest plan now is to not fiddle with specific display shapes or create another complex field, but prepare really simple field with some advanced background functions. "The simple version" should theoretically run across most devices. So hold your thumbs!

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark

I will be more than willing to help you beta testing - The IQ app from Specialized is utterly useless as it will net connect to the bike and the fields cannot be modified.

Karsten

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
This looks like a brilliant piece of kit but unfortunately for my crap eyes it is just not going to work for me o_O
I need big characters, and I mean big characters otherwise it is unfortunately all just a blur.... :(
Can you develop anything on Andriod or OS phones to assist the blurry eyed forum members?

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@Kiwi in Wales yeah I agree, this version is for good eyes only. :) But you will get bigger values with planned Simple Style version, so you can try it once it will go out. There is Blevo already on smartphones, so no need to go this way for me now.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@Kiwi in Wales yep, but smartphone on handlebars is not good case for every terrain. :) For some DH rides where changes of sending bike to crash next to trail are really high, I even rather keep my watch on wrist. :) That is why I like watch form-factor even for riding, as they are rugged and sport-oriented devices.

BTW for everyone with currently unsupported Garmin devices I will have surprise in next days, so stay tuned. :cool:

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi,
so validation process by Garmin was faster then expected, so here it is:

Ebike Field - "Simple Style":)
Now you can place it to screen with other datafields and number of supported devices was greatly increased including EDGE devices. Even this version supports generating ebike specific graphs to Garmin Connect workouts.

As only one datafield can communicate with E-bike I had to squeeze both battery level and assist mode to one field. Optionally you can choose in settings which value to show on screen alone.

Hope you will like it!

20181001_092725s.jpg
edge520plus.jpg

Last edited:

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Hi,

Now you can place it to screen with other datafields and number of supported devices was greatly increased including EDGE devices. Even this version supports generating ebike specific graphs to Garmin Connect workouts.

As only one datafield can communicate with E-bike I had to squeeze both battery level and assist mode to one field. Optionally you can choose in settings which value to show on screen alone.

Hope you will like it!

View attachment 5820 View attachment 5824

Brilliant!!

I’ll test and provide feedback.

Karsten

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Hi,

Hope you will like it!

View attachment 5820 View attachment 5824
Looks awesome . Thanks @JanCapek
Is it edge 810 compatible ?

Superlukey

Aug 25, 2018
Hertfordshire
Hi again. Just installed, paired and added as a data screen to 'bike' on my Garmin 235. Worked and linked first time. Congrats, great job :) :) :) a massive help now that I can just check my battery level on my watch and not have to get off the bike. Just one question. Any way of increasing text size? Would just be icing on the cake if text was a little bigger in single field mode. Brilliant stuff though. Thanks again!!!

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@Superlukey Yep, I managed to keep support even with old Connect IQ platform to support devices like FR235. I was surprised myself. :) I am glad to hear it works for you! If you are interested to see only battery level, go to configuration via Garmin Connect Mobile and set there to shown battery level only (without %). Like that you will get biggest font available for your selected datafield layout.

@StuR If I am no mistaken, edge 810 doesn't even support Connect IQ platform, so there is no way to install any third party app there.

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
@Superlukey Yep, I managed to keep support even with old Connect IQ platform to support devices like FR235. I was surprised myself. :) I am glad to hear it works for you! If you are interested to see only battery level, go to configuration via Garmin Connect Mobile and set there to shown battery level only (without %). Like that you will get biggest font available for your selected datafield layout.

@StuR If I am no mistaken, edge 810 doesn't even support Connect IQ platform, so there is no way to install any third party app there.
Ok thanks...
Might be time for an upgrade

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Just tested the small app on my Edge 1030 and it works perfectly. When bike is turned on it connects instantly and gives me just what I need to know from the bike. I have already ditched the not working official Specialized IQ APP and a big thumbs up to you. You managed to do in only a few days what that big company with a big software development branch could not do properly!!

Karsten

Superlukey

Aug 25, 2018
Hertfordshire
Hi there. Used your app tonight on my Garmin 235. Have set the battery level to display as part of my 4 field display (av heart rate, distance etc) and worked a treat. As previous poster says, connects instantly and worked flawlessly. So cool to see on the go battery usage in 1% increments. Just want to say a massive thanks :) Awesome stuff.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
@Kiwi in Wales yep, but smartphone on handlebars is not good case for every terrain. :) For some DH rides where changes of sending bike to crash next to trail are really high, I even rather keep my watch on wrist. :) That is why I like watch form-factor even for riding, as they are rugged and sport-oriented devices.

BTW for everyone with currently unsupported Garmin devices I will have surprise in next days, so stay tuned. :cool:

Like I said, I can’t see small text on a watch. I have no option but to use what I use.

Yes there is a risk of damage but I use a very low cost Android smart phone in a LifeProof case. I have taken a few tumbles and so far all is ok. If I do destroy the phone I will buy another which will cost me around £50-£70 for me, I don’t have any other options due to my bad eyes ?

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Like I said, I can’t see small text on a watch. I have no option but to use what I use.

Yes there is a risk of damage but I use a very low cost Android smart phone in a LifeProof case. I have taken a few tumbles and so far all is ok. If I do destroy the phone I will buy another which will cost me around £50-£70 for me, I don’t have any other options due to my bad eyes ?

? or maybe??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles