Ebike choice

Apr 21, 2023
Hull
Hi all
Narrowed down to 3 bikes so question for you all which would you choose and why? As I can't really decide
Choices are
Whyte E-160 S MX V3 2023
Really like the blue colour and biggest battery out the 3
£4750 online

Haibike all MTN 4 2023
Seen in shop at Sherwood pines
£4799

Orbea wild FS h10 2022
Again a nice colour
£5039 local bike shop

I've only ever rode the trek rail 5 at dalby forest on hire everytime I go, so no experience on the other bikes mentioned,
I'm sort of swayed towards orbea as has lifetime warranty on frame(if that's worth anything) so just after a bit of help/advice

Thanks all

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
As it happens ..yeah 😁
An E160rs ..its a fantastic bike both up & down ..
My choice of ebike came from owning a Whyte T130rs which was the best trail mtb I had owned and with it being designed with British riding conditions in mind and being a fantastic ride ..just bought the ebike blind trusting that it would be the same ..
Having ridden the Haibike I can honestly say that ( in my opinion ) the Whyte blows it out of the water ( figuratively speaking ) ..I can't comment on the Orbea..
Good luck with whatever you choose 👍

Apr 21, 2023
Hull
Thank you, I'm hoping they can get hold of a medium to demo they have a large in but think that will be too big for me, do you think the s model a reasonable spec? Will do everything without upgrading anything?
Did you buy offline or from a local bike shop?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I'm not sure what the spec is on the S model tbf..
When I bought mine the Fork & Shock were a consideration both being Fox ..and it's 27.5 front & back ( don't like mullets or 29ers ..)..
I bought it from Wheelbase in Stavely ( Lake District ) which is a 2hr+ car ride from me in Northumberland as it was on 0% finance and in terms of service they have been spot on ( replacement motor last year when the bike was slightly out of warranty without any quibble ) ...and it's not a bad place to ride when picking up your bike !
Componentry is very much a personal choice ..I'm not one to change anything unless I need to and other than " consumables " and my choice of saddle ( Bel Air ) the bike has remained stock from new ..but it has had a new dropper and the cassette / chain / chainring were changed last month .
For sizing I'm 6'ft on a large ..hope you get the chance to try before you buy ..

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
The Whyte will be the smart system with 750 battery, the 2022 Orbea will be the older gen4 with 625 I think.
No brainer

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Think I'm swaying more to the Whyte
Thanks for your replys
100%
many people including myself have had cracked frames and swing arms upper and lower on the orbea alloy model
And they don't just crack they fail catastrophically at the seat tube to motor interface mainly
Not something that inspires confidence :(

Kwaka

May 2, 2023
Cheddar, Somerset, UK
Good choice I’ve just bought a Whyte e160 rsx and I love it.
I test rode a trek rail which I didn’t gel with so well, and Ive ridden a Haibike hard tail for many years, but I’ve read some horrendous warranty situations.
After researching the Whyte I was super impressed with the build and components.

wagonrd

Dec 22, 2020
Roseville, CA
Hi all
Narrowed down to 3 bikes so question for you all which would you choose and why? As I can't really decide
Choices are
Whyte E-160 S MX V3 2023
Really like the blue colour and biggest battery out the 3
£4750 online

Haibike all MTN 4 2023
Seen in shop at Sherwood pines
£4799

Orbea wild FS h10 2022
Again a nice colour
£5039 local bike shop

I've only ever rode the trek rail 5 at dalby forest on hire everytime I go, so no experience on the other bikes mentioned,
I'm sort of swayed towards orbea as has lifetime warranty on frame(if that's worth anything) so just after a bit of help/advice

Thanks all
Never buy a Trek e-bike. Trek has NO battery replacement program. When/if your battery fails, you have a lead sled.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Never buy a Trek e-bike. Trek has NO battery replacement program. When/if your battery fails, you have a lead sled.
Hi
What companies do then ?
As I don't see it advertised that well with any of them
Are you saying they all do apart from trek which is why you singled them out in particular.

RiderOnTheStorm

Trek has NO battery replacement program. When/if your battery fails
Are you sure about this? My understanding from the Trek warranty program is that Bosch offers a warranty of 2 years or 500 cycles.

boschwarranty.png

And once the bosch warranty is over, procuring a replacement battery is fairly quick as these battery are readily available (in Europe for sure).

Trek Electric bike FAQ | Trek Bikes

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles