Ebike age groups

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Is there an age when you can justify these things as obligatory and necessary research ?

Like, keeping yourself uptodate ?

Or possibly more like :

Staying a breast of things ?

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Is there an age when you can justify these things as obligatory and necessary research ?

Like, keeping yourself uptodate ?

Or possibly more like :

Staying a breast of things ?
Like Keeping on top of things.
I think the official age starts at about 15 or 16 doesn't it.

Pinned

Nov 5, 2019
Adelaide
45 and 85kg.
Love bombing down hills, hate riding up. Strava tells me this year I've done 1262km and 30,047m of climbing. Thats alot of downs.
That and i work night shift so i don't get to catch up with mates as often for shuttle runs.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi I'm 42 in July with 4 young children 1,3,7,13yrs got back into mtb about 5yrs ago on a lovely orbea but never had the time to get fit enough to really enjoy it so last year sold it (wish I hadn't) and bought my giant trance now running 148ish mm rear travel and 160mm front I can just do a quick hour or two during the week in between jobs or do a Sunday morning with the lads it's been fantastic ? now I'm getting the two boys 3 and 7 into it even the wife is considering it lol

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Haha well not planned especially when all there birthdays are within 3 weeks of each other all during this lock down Sophie 1 day if lock down lol abigail 29th March Oliver April 7th Jacob April 10th u couldnt write this shit lol

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

65 and full of BS. I started at 59 with analogue bike. Bought a Levo a year later, I am never going back. I'm impressed with the mileage numbers you're all reporting. Long ride for me is 14 miles, I will add that when I ride my Shimano bike with 504 watt battery on technical rides it's 2 hours 1400 or more calories and battery on flashing red indicators on the dead battery at about 8-10 miles of riding, and I'm whipped.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I'm 65, been riding bikes all my life, MTB since ‘84 ( still got my rigid Marin!). Living in the Alps (a stones throw away from middle of Maxiavalanche, at 10.5k 1500m descent one of longest downhills in the world - won in 2003 by Nicolas Vouilloz in about 20 mins!) one has either got to be very fit or use the uplift to get the most our of mountain biking here. That is, until ebikes came on the scene and they have really come into their own during lock-down when no uplift is running (we are allowed to ride our bikes in Switzerland). Ebikes mean I can still do rides that I used to do 20 years ago. Ebikes mean I can ride with my son (who has raced DH), catching up with him on any uphill sections. Ebikes mean I get out most days. Ebikes mean I am fitter and sharper technically than I would be if I had kept to analogue bikes. Ebikes mean I could get cycling months earlier than I could have done after total keen replacement surgery. I've done about 2000k of mountain biking in about 18 months (not including the last two winters when there is too much snow to ride and time out after knee opp). I think I would have done a fraction of that on my old normal bike.
If ebikes had been around when I was 18, I would definitely have been riding them. I got my first motorbike at 14 and my licence at 16 and have ridden every since. I loved the freedom that a motor gave me and to me, ebikes give me extra freedom to explore. In some ways, ebikes give the best of the bike and motorbike world but to compare them to either normal bikes or motorbikes doesn't make sense. One has to get across to those that have not experienced them that ebikes are a completely new way of travelling. I can ride routes that would be impossible on either a normal bike or a motorbike.

JohnnyP

May 26, 2019
France
69 years old and 62Kg, been riding MTB since mid 80s even did a bit of racing in the 90s. 28 years in the navy and kept myself fit. Been riding MTB at weekends and road in the week here in France since 2012 done some rando VTTs and a couple of organised road events. Did Brive to Roccamadour in 2018 and that's 82Km with 2200 metres of vertical - big day out. Over the last 12 months found it increasingly difficult to stay with my MTB pals (all quite a bit younger) on a typical Sunday ride of 40Km and 900 metres vertical, not a problem on th eroad as I can hide in the group and get a tow. Anyway, took the plunge last summer and bought a Turbo Levo. Best thing I could have done as with assistance adjusted to 10%, 20% and 50% I can stay with my pals using mainly 10%. Wanted to try the Brive-Rocca this year on the Levo as I reckoned I could have just about made it on the standard 500Wh battery, shame it was cancelled due to Covid. Not allowed to cycle until 11May here in France so itching to get back out there and work on the fitness after the lay off and recovery post surgery back in Jan. Find the Levo heavy and cumbersome in the technical stuff but I've flipped the chip to steepen the head angle, helps a bit but you can't escape the weight. My analogue is a Scott Scale premium at a tad over 9Kg and I've just sold my Niner RIP9 full susser at about 12Kg. I think I need the Levo SL from what I've read but can't justify the cost. Need more mates with Ebikes.

Electrikarl

Jan 5, 2020
BB31NT
Hi, 56yrs old, 6'2 93kg, live near the moors and hold KOM on one of if not the biggest climbs around me, all Ebikes 5mins 17s and I'm the oldest. Had my levo 2yrs after years of DH and trail riding, as previous comments, it's great to go to some of my fave DH tracks and get 10 or so runs in after pedalling back up, totally shattered after like but great fun. Out from my house and pedal 30+ miles over the moors and forest, certainly keeps u fit, everyone always wants to try the bike and before u know, they've got one, long live the Ebike ?

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
I'm 66 and have been on mountain bikes for 20 years (including Moab, Sedona and Colorado) but new to ebikes. So far have only put about 60 km on my Stance and then Covid locked us down. I am on meds for heart issues and lately have found the local hills too demanding on my beloved Stumpy, causing heart issues. Hence the ebike.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.......... when I ride my Shimano bike with 504 watt battery on technical rides it's 2 hours 1400 or more calories and battery on flashing red indicators on the dead battery at about 8-10 miles of riding, and I'm whipped.

Do you live on the side of a mountain,weigh 100kg and ride in Boost everywhere? How do you manage to get only 8-10 miles of riding out of your 504whr battery? :eek:

FloridaDan

Nov 8, 2019
Florida
52, 6'4", 240lbs. Lots of years trail riding dirt bikes in VA, WV and PA. Have injuries or problems most places my body bends. I mostly like the added range and boost through soft stuff and WIND (I ride a Turbo Vado on the street also).

Plus, you know, faster...

sailfast

Apr 2, 2020
Bennington NH
Yep, mtb with an e in front, what an evolution. After mountain biking since the late 80's, lately huffing an puffing up the hills just wasn't much fun any longer. So was time to sell my nimble and beloved Tomac FS.

Hopping back on a Synapse that was hanging in the garage, I felt like to be run over just about every time I took to the road. Living in the country, lots of forrest and hills, an e-mtb just seemed to be the ticket to breed a little life into the social distancing exercise.

After some online research and shopping, here she arrived at my doorsteps; a Scott Strike eRide.
Doing a little bit of assembly and fine tuning seating hight, brake position, air shocks, etc I took up into the woods. ...........simply astonishing. I can ride up the hill again, though I still stop occasionally to catch my breath. Down hill is not a ton of difference, bike weight presents a bit more of a challenge to me, of course balance, skill and fitness is a must. After some 20 hours of single track riding, I must admit, diminishing results with the latter at my age (78). I skied some 70 days this past winter and from that I get balance and good judgment (not a single fall). So I apply now the same to riding the emtb, reduced speed and getting off if it gets to steep and rocky. Indeed, I wish I had one of these machines 30 or so years ago. There is much misconception in the mountain biking community of what emtb's are, what they can and cannot do. It's definitely not a tool for the fat and lazy.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Do you live on the side of a mountain,weigh 100kg and ride in Boost everywhere? How do you manage to get only 8-10 miles of riding out of your 504whr battery? :eek:

I weigh about 82kg, and could return back to the car with <10% battery riding a 700Whr Trek Rail 9.9 approx 16 miles ONLY in eMTB mode. Was about 1200m of climbing though!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
look at this idiot playing blindside flanker aged 49 years - the idiot in red, not the guy with the questionable beard.
his elbows, hips, fingers, wrist, ankles etc all hurt/dont work/grind when used etc.
if this idiot didn't have an ebike, he would very much struggle to ride.

IMG-20170917-WA0010.jpg

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts

High Rock Ruti

Good Morning Steve

With gear I weigh 210 pounds, I do ride in boost the entire time and the riding is herky jerky technical riding in 3rd gear going up and over and 4-7 gears rolling down. 8-10 miles to flashing red. Not sure how long but I reckon between 1 and 2 hours. As a coincidence, this 4 year old Pivot Shuttle (this July) bike just had the data from the computer downloaded. It had a mere 119 full charge cycles, the mechanic guessed that it represented "full" charge cycles. I was surprised because this bike was getting (when in use) 4-5 charges a week not from dead, but still surprised. The bad news is the motor has a crack around the main power plug from battery to motor, causing intermittent power and arcing across the connectors leaving the positive lug burnt. Cleaned up connections and bike working again with a caution against water ingress.

Motors are $1,000 and backordered until July. If anyone has a lead or ideas on Shimano E8000 motors please ping me.

Warm Regards

Ruti

Last edited:

Stevie p

Apr 15, 2020
West lothian
Just wondering the age of ebikers. Seem to be a lot of folk when we compare rides for example whose idea of a big ride differs regarding what is big and what is big eg 30 miles or 100 miles???. So is it an age thing or what . I reckon we should have to put age weight occupation years cycling etc before you can post. Older lads ask yourself if ebike was available when you were 30 what would you have thought .
I'm 55 200lb 6.3 still race dirt bikes the ebike pure fun all tracks at deristrict speed love it my 30 year old self wouldn't have noticed them he'd be drunk

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Since when was being drunk and riding bikes two mutually exclusive pursuits?

Ebikes are an awesome invention for getting you home from the pub after 14 pints.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
47 years young 5’11 160 pounds. Raced XC/endurance geared and SS for years expert class. Occasionally will still sign up and line up cat 1/expert vet. Got into emtb 6 months ago because it’s faster/more capable/more fun (IMO) than acoustic bike riding. Haven’t ridden an acoustic bike since. In the market for a 2nd emtb so that I can have 2!!!?

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I’m 64, 5-11, 190lbs. I’ve been riding mtb since the mid 80’s and raced motocross until a serious crash at 50 ended that. I’m heading for double knee replacement in the next year or two and had double pneumonia a couple years ago which left me with reduced cardio capacity. I ride for the steep, chunky downhills and jump lines. I had gotten to the point where 8-10 miles with 1,000 ft of climbing was about as good as I could do. I bought a YT Decoy, and now I can ride 20-30 miles with 2,500-3,000ft of climbing and lots of descending and jumping. Even going uphill is fun again. I’m able to make it up tech climbs that I have been unable to clear the last couple years.

The younger me from 5 or 6 years ago was an idiot and would have been against them. I ride with guys in their 20s and 30s who are on Ebikes because they have more fun too!

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
47 years young 5’11 160 pounds. Raced XC/endurance geared and SS for years expert class. Occasionally will still sign up and line up cat 1/expert vet. Got into emtb 6 months ago because it’s faster/more capable/more fun (IMO) than acoustic bike riding. Haven’t ridden an acoustic bike since. In the market for a 2nd emtb so that I can have 2!!!?
Im with you! I have an Ibis HD5 collecting dust after only one ride. I still kid myself I might ride it. Who am I kidding. It’s time for a back up Ebike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I weigh about 82kg, and could return back to the car with <10% battery riding a 700Whr Trek Rail 9.9 approx 16 miles ONLY in eMTB mode. Was about 1200m of climbing though!
So you must be going uphill at top speed? I can't fault you for that one tiny bit as it is so much fun! But it does deplete the battery, a lot!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
^ While I was taking the quiz I kept imagining what younger generations would think (let alone guess) what those bizarre items were. That alone made me laugh out loud all the more!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles