Ebike age groups

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Just wondering the age of ebikers. Seem to be a lot of folk when we compare rides for example whose idea of a big ride differs regarding what is big and what is big eg 30 miles or 100 miles???. So is it an age thing or what . I reckon we should have to put age weight occupation years cycling etc before you can post. Older lads ask yourself if ebike was available when you were 30 what would you have thought .

Benbenben

Apr 7, 2020
Isle of Wight
I’m 36, college lecturer and have too many hobbies so the EMTB will hopefully maximise my time when I’m out. Have dabbled in a bit of DH riding in the past and only really pedal uphill for the enjoyment of flat and downhill sections.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I’m 36, college lecturer and have too many hobbies so the EMTB will hopefully maximise my time when I’m out. Have dabbled in a bit of DH riding in the past and only really pedal uphill for the enjoyment of flat and downhill sections.
Your just a young loon Ben lots of years of enjoyment ahead of you enjoy , may the force be with you

mr wilson

Mar 22, 2020
Nairn, Scotland
63, retired and if we (the gaffer and I) do 30 miles when we're out we think we've done ok. We're getting fitter, or were until recently, so this hopefully would get better.
Mostly forestry roads, canal paths and the like but I like having the ability to wander off piste if the mood takes me.
Cycling has always been something we've done at some level and if these had been around 30 years ago I'd most likely have had one then, finances permitting.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
63, retired and if we (the gaffer and I) do 30 miles when we're out we think we've done ok. We're getting fitter, or were until recently, so this hopefully would get better.
Mostly forestry roads, canal paths and the like but I like having the ability to wander off piste if the mood takes me.
Cycling has always been something we've done at some level and if these had been around 30 years ago I'd most likely have had one then, finances permitting.
Agree Mr Wilson your just the right age to appreciate one , like getting a double leg and lung transplant.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I reckon we should have to put age weight occupation years cycling etc before you can post.

Weight: 200lb (which without height means very little)
unless for body disposal after using all this info to track us all down and murder us one by one

Years cycling: 47
Seem to be a lot of folk when we compare rides for example whose idea of a big ride differs regarding what is big and what is big eg 30 miles or 100 miles???. So is it an age thing or what .
It's all to do with perception, init?
But IME what you percieve to be a big ride has way more to do with your prefererred style of riding than age. and TBF big rides can't really be measured in "just" miles. Elevation, conditions and terrain make a huge difference to the effort/skill required. And fitness plays a huge part in your perception of what constitutes a big ride.
eg. 100 rolling miles on a roadbike isn't all that difficult, In my mid 30s - mid 40s I'd usually ride my roadbike for a few hours in the evenings after work often extending one ride a week to 60 miles and occasionally stretching them to 100. The longer the ride, the less hilly a route I'd choose. So I probably have a slightly different view to new to it (or returning) would have of a 40 mile bridleways and canal path ride on an Ebike
a 4mile ride on a normal Enduro bike if purely to ride steep Enduro/DH tracks would have greater total elevation and could require a lot more overall effort but will use quite different muscle groups.
Older lads ask yourself if ebike was available when you were 30 what would you have thought .
At 30 I'd been racing DH at national level for 6 years, rode my roadbike 3 days a week, XC 2 nights a week and raced, practiced or built DH tracks/dirt jumps on the weekends.
I'd have wanted an E mountainbike from the age of 18 TBH. Back then UK DH hadn't been invented and I rode BMX. And an ex- girlfriends Dad got me into XC mtb racing at around 21. I only really liked the descents, technically steep and faster sections.. .so when DH racing started that's where my interest went.
from 93-98 pretty much all of my sundays were spent DHing or jumping. Back then that meant pushing our bikes to the top or doing cheeky uplifts in vans. An Emtb would have been invaluable. a modern 160mm Emtb is miles more capable than the most capable 90s DH bikes were, trust me I've ridden most of them.

Most of the guys I've ridden (normal bikes) with over the years are still keen cyclists. Very few of them want an Ebike. And most have weird ideas/reasons why they don't.

Last edited:

Adam Thomas

Apr 25, 2020
Wollongong Australia
Im 47 and have spent my life on two wheels. Starting as a kid riding BMX. My 20s to mid 40s were spent riding moto x then into road bikes track / race bikes . Maybe 4 yrs ago I started mtb riding and honestly I have never had so much fun with out having the risk of being locked up for doing 200kmph on public roads plus not being killed by a car is a bonus. Moto cost mega bucks. I mtb with my mates and the fun factor is absolutely right up there with a relatively low cost compared to moto. I can push my own limits downhill and the fun factor is next level. As for a long ride . Its not the miles that matter to me its the descending time :)

breaky33

Apr 12, 2019
Sydney Australia
63 and live in the land of Oz. Used to race motorcycles and still ride them for holidays, touring sight seeing etc. Got into bicycles 20 years ago, mountain bikes 5 years ago, and due to needing a total knee replacement I got into E-MTB. Enjoying it all and a great all rounder in a Turbo Levo Comp Carbon with spare roadie wheels.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Weight: 200lb (which without height means very little)
unless for body disposal after using all this info to track us all down and murder us one by one

Years cycling: 47

It's all to do with perception, init?
But IME what you percieve to be a big ride has way more to do with your prefererred style of riding than age. and TBF big rides can't really be measured in "just" miles. Elevation, conditions and terrain make a huge difference to the effort/skill required. And fitness plays a huge part in your perception of what constitutes a big ride.
eg. 100 rolling miles on a roadbike isn't all that difficult, In my mid 30s - mid 40s I'd usually ride my roadbike for a few hours in the evenings after work often extending one ride a week to 60 miles and occasionally stretching them to 100. The longer the ride, the less hilly a route I'd choose. So I probably have a slightly different view to new to it (or returning) would have of a 40 mile bridleways and canal path ride on an Ebike
a 4mile ride on a normal Enduro bike if purely to ride steep Enduro/DH tracks would have greater total elevation and could require a lot more overall effort but will use quite different muscle groups.

At 30 I'd been racing DH at national level for 6 years, rode my roadbike 3 days a week, XC 2 nights a week and raced, practiced or built DH tracks/dirt jumps on the weekends.
I'd have wanted an E mountainbike from the age of 18 TBH. Back then UK DH hadn't been invented and I rode BMX. And an ex- girlfriends Dad got me into XC mtb racing at around 21. I only really liked the descents, technically steep and faster sections.. .so when DH racing started that's where my interest went.
from 93-98 pretty much all of my sundays were spent DHing or jumping. Back then that meant pushing our bikes to the top or doing cheeky uplifts in vans. An Emtb would have been invaluable. a modern 160mm Emtb is miles more capable than the most capable 90s DH bikes were, trust me I've ridden most of them.

Most of the guys I've ridden (normal bikes) with over the years are still keen cyclists. Very few of them want an Ebike. And most have weird ideas/reasons why they don't.
Yes some people definitely see it as cheating probably the fitter ones. I've always worked at sea so when I come home and get a bit of fitness up its time to go away again.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
50yo, 80kg, from NZ. I'm a motorcyclist who rode pushbikes as a kid then moved to dirt and road motos. Not remotely competitive. Been on organised trail rides and the odd track day for fun. Got into mtb back in '98 with a new GT Tequesta and over the last 20 years learned double jumping, riding high skinny things and all that fun stuff. Love technical, steep descending. My mtb is a Trek Remedy RSL on which I've had loads of fun, especially at the lift-access parks and local trails-although it was my daily work commuter too when I lived on the flat. Now home is 300 metres of vertical up two hills from town and after 8 hours welding I cannot be arsed cycling that.
Enter the eeb. The choice was a new KLX250, or an RM PowerPlay for the same price. I settled on the RM, which has turned out to be basically a KLX250 with pedals. It's solid, dependable and goes anywhere. If the eeb was available when I was younger, I'd still have bought motorbikes. I never use the Trek now and only keep it for any upcoming lift-access weekends.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
50yo, 80kg, from NZ. I'm a motorcyclist who rode pushbikes as a kid then moved to dirt and road motos. Not remotely competitive. Been on organised trail rides and the odd track day for fun. Got into mtb back in '98 with a new GT Tequesta and over the last 20 years learned double jumping, riding high skinny things and all that fun stuff. Love technical, steep descending. My mtb is a Trek Remedy RSL on which I've had loads of fun, especially at the lift-access parks and local trails-although it was my daily work commuter too when I lived on the flat. Now home is 300 metres of vertical up two hills from town and after 8 hours welding I cannot be arsed cycling that.
Enter the eeb. The choice was a new KLX250, or an RM PowerPlay for the same price. I settled on the RM, which has turned out to be basically a KLX250 with pedals. It's heavy, dependable and goes anywhere. If the eeb was available when I was younger, I'd still have bought motorbikes. I never use the Trek now and only keep it for any upcoming lift-access weekends.
Was into motocross in 80s had mtb since 86 so have served my time on manual.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I'm 53, been riding Surrey Hills 20 years.

Range to me means vertical not distance.

My fitness is fine - did 880 metre ride on my bio bike this weekend. Enjoyed it.

My Levo just means more fun in the time available, and more rides because I'm not ruined. Where's the fun in slogging up Redlands at 3mph over and over?

Dragging up hills doesn't create fitness it creates tiredness. Now hills are sprints, if I want.

My 30 year old self would have thought e-bikes were only for fat old giffers. But he was an idiot.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I'm 53, been riding Surrey Hills 20 years.

Range to me means vertical not distance.

My fitness is fine - did 880 metre ride on my bio bike this weekend. Enjoyed it.

My Levo just means more fun in the time available, and more rides because I'm not ruined. Where's the fun in slogging up Redlands at 3mph over and over?

Dragging up hills doesn't create fitness it creates tiredness. Now hills are sprints, if I want.

My 30 year old self would have thought e-bikes were only for fat old giffers. But he was an idiot.
Yes agree I love a good climb plus a lot of hills I do locally have all been done many times on manual bike up until last July. Not a slog any more and quicker.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I'm 42 years old, 6ft 2" tall, medium build, and weigh around 82kgs.
I was an instrument tech for years, and now work from behind a computer organising other techs!
I've been cycling since I was 4, and spent a lot of my youth at the BMX track. Knocked 3 front teeth out when I was 5 trying to get to the BMX track - even though I wasn't "allowed" to go there!!
Moved onto mountain bikes from about 12-17... and then got a car. From 17 to about 32 I was never on 2 wheels other than a couple of times on holiday.
Borrowed my father in-laws old bike a few times when I was 32 and did some trails with him - and then bought my first Stumpjumper. Since then, I've been getting more and more into my bike... and have built up a reasonable fitness again.

I've got 2 young children (5 and 8 months), so getting out of the house for a long period of time is rare at the moment. A big ride for me is probably anything above 3 hours.
Like many above, my rides are more about vertical than distance. I go up, to come down. I do tend to add some fire track riding into my runs to add a bit of distance rather than just up and down.

On Saturday I did 27.4 miles and 911m vertical in 2hrs and 41mins. A lot of the climbing was on rough uneven ground - which I'd really struggle with on my regular bike. The 35% boost from my Levo SL was enough to get me up these climbs without toppling over. I was still breathing out my hoop, and dripping with sweat - but it meant I didn't need to get off and push.

Prior to an ebike, I probably wouldn't have attempted that route - as I knew my legs wouldn't cope. I'm sure there are plenty out there with greater fitness levels who could do it, but I still think there would still be bits they'd struggle with.
I did other routes with bits I'd have to push up in order to get to the top to enjoy the downhill. Now, I can get up these trails completely - and don't have to push. I also have a bit of energy left in the tank to enjoy the downhill too! I sometimes go round a few times now - which I think is helping me grow as a rider as I get a few chances to try different lines etc - rather than my 1 shot that week!

I'm hoping that the Levo SL on 35/45 will keep me going for a while. I can always dial it up or down a little if I feel I need more or less power. As my kids grow, I may get less time to myself, and need to step up to a bigger more powerful bike as my fitness drops! For now... I'm loving the SL!

Last edited:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I'm 58, Weigh about 85 Kilo, Got my first mountainbike in London when I was working there back in 1987. It was an Eclipse Dispatcher.. Still have it. Was basically for couriers, so great around the city. I used it for a tour around Scotland back then. Also mountainbiking here in Austria, Germany and Italy.
I'm a software developer so sit in front of the desk a lot.
Yesterday I did a relatively long ride. 68.6KM - 43Miles, Only 400m (1300 ft) vertical, but mostly on Gravel and trails. Just reading the statistics.. 63% with the motor off. At the end I still had 75% battery remaining. I am training to do another transalp this year if Corona allows it, so working on building up strength in my legs. I have done rides of over 110 KM, on one battery (500wh) and also rides of over 2200m (7200 ft) vertical with over 70km - 45 miles (That was on the Focus with 756Wh Battery capacity).

Here are the Bosch statistics
1587996091570.png

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm 68 years old and weigh 85kg. I had a bike for a few years when I was 10-12, then puberty saw me outgrow it and my brothers got it. Never had another bike until I was 42 and I bought the wrong size of City bike (M when I should have got an L). I put up with it for 12 years! Then bought a Cruiser bike in 2005, correct size this time. I loved that bike and was out some part of most days. In 2008, I discovered that mtb was a thing and thought it was just exactly what I was looking for. I bought an XC hardtail, a year later an XC FS, and then a year after that All Mountain FS. Went to the Alps in 2012 with a group of mtb buddies and discovered new definitions for "steep" and "rough"! I was going on mtb skills courses at the rate of at least one per year but didn't feel to be getting better as fast as I wanted to. But I was getting fitter and faster! I felt like Superman at 63, but then I peaked when arthritis in the knees and hands started to affect me. Slowly I dropped out of group rides, slowly my distances per ride fell away and the gaps between rides got bigger, from riding every day to three day gaps. By 67 I was down to one 10-mile ride every 3-4 days and that was on a carbon FS bike with 1x12 and a 30t front ring, kitted out with pain killing gels for the knees and all sorts of other stuff. I had seen emtbs for a few years, but was reluctant to even try one, but I was also reluctant to keep fading away on mtb!

In Jan'19 I bought an emtb! (I was 67 then). WOW!!! :eek:
It was like me again, but on a really good day. :love:

I had a couple of firsts last Saturday. It was the first time for five years that I had ridden on consecutive days and the first time for about the same length of time that I had ridden 30 off road miles in one day. I should have bought a bigger battery! :unsure:

I feel reborn, EMTBs are ACE! :love:

Last edited:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I'm 68, 85kg. I had a bike for a few years when I was 10-12, then puberty saw me outgrow it and my brothers got it. Never had another bike until I was 42 and I bought the wrong size of City bike (M when I should have got an L). I put up with it for 12 years! Then bought a Cruiser bike in 2005, correct size this time. I loved that bike and was out some part of most days. In 2008, I discovered that mtb was a thing and thought it was just exactly what I was looking for. I bought an XC hardtail, a year later an XC FS, and then a year after that All Mountain FS. Went to the Alps in 2012 with a group of mtb buddies and discovered new definitions for "steep" and "rough"! I was going on mtb skills courses at the rate of at least one per year but didn't feel to be getting better as fast as I wanted to. But I was getting fitter and faster! I felt like Superman at 63, but then I peaked when arthritis in the knees and hands started to affect me. Slowly I dropped out of group rides, slowly my distances per ride fell away and the gaps between rides got bigger, from riding every day to three day gaps. By 67 I was down to one 10-mile ride every 3-4 days and that was on a carbon FS bike with 1x12 and a 30t front ring, kitted out with pain killing gels for the knees and all sorts of other stuff. I had seen emtbs for a few years, but was reluctant to even try one, but I was also reluctant to keep fading away on mtb!

In Jan'19 I bought an emtb! (I was 67 then). WOW!!! :eek:
It was like me again, but on a really good day. :love:

I had a couple of firsts last Saturday. It was the first time for five years that I had ridden on consecutive days and the first time for about the same length of time that I had ridden 30 off road miles in one day. I should have bought a bigger battery! :unsure:

I feel reborn, EMTBs are ACE! :love:
Cool story Steve. Don't you already have a Focus with Tec Pack making 756Wh? Just get a second Tec Pack! then you'll have 1134Wh!! Should be enough!
69Kg.. I need to loose some weight.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
59, 5'-10, 75kg
Most rides over start around 3000m elevation and go up from there involving fairly steep grades (both up and down) and 1000-2000m of elevation gain (read that as tough on these old legs/lungs)

Been riding clockwork mtb's for 34yrs (started with an original Mountain Klein).
Started this spring on my first e-mtb (2020 Levo comp with a few mods)

I agree with the earlier posts about it "just being me", minus 20 or more years ;) It's seriously cool not to dread the nastier climbs but instead actually look forward to them. It was getting bad enough on my last (non-e but only 21lbs with pedals) bike that I was even dreading some descents since I knew that they just meant I would have to climb back up again. Even with the assist turned down, having the bit of extra power means I can now ride some technical sections that I would previously never bother with and always just walk through. Not sure if that actually makes me a better rider, but it certainly is more fun. :)

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
41, and riding MTBs distinctly averagely for 30 years this year, I just like to get out and ride, 5 miles, 50 miles, who knows, EMTB has allowed me to keep riding when I can whilst running a business and looking after a young family, and its the opportunities to make the most of any free time I have to go out and ride that I love about them most.

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I’m 39 yrs old 6’1” 125ish kg car mechanic
Been riding 2 wheels since I was 18months old (my mam says I was born on wheels lol)

Rode anything with wheels bmx scootx drop handles mtbs skateboard. Only thing I could not get on with was roller skates

Raced dirty bikes in the 90s motox an enduro

Had a wee bump in 2004 was within 30mins of right foot amputation. Doing a 15+ft drop on a dirt bike
Spent a yr in a pool learning how to walk

Still ride a road motorbike a enduro dirty bike acoustic mtb an now a emtb.

I would have been 9 30yrs ago an I was super fit an rode everywhere so an eeb would have made no difference. But now it truly has given me a new lease of life. Not many flat trails paths etc in the vallys of South Wales lol plus my bestie that I ride with does iorn man contests etc so now I can keep up

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I take it one is 5 years and the other 8 months ? not 5 months and 8 months ? or is there a second wife you negated to mention .. ;)

Ha ha... yes, my daughter turned 5 a couple of weeks ago, and my son is just 8 months!!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
50. Failed gigolo.

OK, corona virus hasn't helped.

I tried teleworking, which resulted in even less customer satisfaction.

Then I tried a second hand polycarbonate riot shield with a tiny hole drilled in it... But still, unhappy clients.

Two Tone

Apr 20, 2020
Cambridgeshire
Im 61 6ft 3ins 90kgs , run a Garage Car and Van Sales and Van-Hire , done a lot of cycling in the 90s charity rides , audax , cycled Lands end to John o Groats by myself , am a long time member of the Trail Riding Fellowship a national club we ride byways white roads old unpaved rights of way on motorcycles , bought a Haibike to access paths bridleways and other ROWs not accessible on a motorbike , on the Haibike doing 30 odd miles when the battery gives out decided my aged body needs rear suspension and I collect a Levo Turbo Comp in a couple of days with a spare battery so will be looking to up the mileage.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles