E8000 Drag

Grant944

Mar 16, 2020
Staffs uk
My battery ran out on be today the drag Shimano E8000) when it switched off was massive. I was on the flat on a pavement and nearly in lowest gear.
Anyone else had this?
The bike is well used since 2019. Never noticed such drag before. It is using more battery than usual.
Was hoping was something simple like binding brakes or wheel bearings but no such luck.
Is there anything serviceable bottom bracket wise for the shimano E8000?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Have you actually checked the motor has drag and you've not just become a weak lazy unfit Ebiker? ?
Take your chain off and spin the cranks with the motor switched off.
If you're using big soft compound low pressure aggressively tread tyres they have tons of rolling resistance and will be draggyAF on the flat on any bike.

Grant944

Mar 16, 2020
Staffs uk
Have you actually checked the motor has drag and you've not just become a weak lazy unfit Ebiker? ?
Take your chain off and spin the cranks with the motor switched off.
If you're using big soft compound low pressure aggressively tread tyres they have tons of rolling resistance and will be draggyAF on the flat on any bike.
Thanks I'll try that, without chain.
My first thought WAS christ I'm unfit. LOL.

acerbis

May 6, 2019
wrightwood ca
Mine just started this drag today. I compared it to my wife bike with low miles and there's definitely a resistance when the motor actually engages. With the motor off there is no resistance. If anyone has a schematic or recommendations I'd appreciate it.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Mine just started this drag today. I compared it to my wife bike with low miles and there's definitely a resistance when the motor actually engages. With the motor off there is no resistance. If anyone has a schematic or recommendations I'd appreciate it.

if you are interested there is a topic about servicing the E8000. Has pictures of the bearings, clutches etc.

Not sure what you mean there is drag when the motor engages? When it engages you should feel support, not drag? Or is the motor seizing and working against you?

acerbis

May 6, 2019
wrightwood ca
if you are interested there is a topic about servicing the E8000. Has pictures of the bearings, clutches etc.

Not sure what you mean there is drag when the motor engages? When it engages you should feel support, not drag? Or is the motor seizing and working against you?
Thanks for the help so far and sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, it does seem related though.
I've started researching the bearings and the exploded view, but I guess I missed where the clutch is? Because the clutch is what the problem seems to be. On my wife's bike, e7000, there is no resistance with the motor on then a split second later the motor engages and assistance can be felt. On my e8000, theres definitely resistance before the motor takes over. I can feel this drag through the entire power delivery.
I'll reread the one thread bout bearing replacement but if anyone can helpe identify the clutch I'm almost certain that's the problem.

Last edited:

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
There are in fact 2 clutches. One to allow the cranks to spin freely backwards relative to the chainring. This one is located inside the big black sprocket on the main crank shaft. Its primary goal is to allow you to keep the pedals still or moving slower than the chainring (in case the motor rotates faster than you pedal)

There is also a second clutch to allow the motor to spin freely backwards relative to the chainring. This one is located inside the second big metal sprocket on one of the lay shafts. Its primary goal is to allow the motor to spin slower than the chainring (in case you pedal faster than the motor turns).

They are sprag type clutches, something similar to this:
sprag.png

But instead of a spring for each roller, they use 1 or 2 springs to rotate a cage that holds all rollers in place.

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Im quoting someone from the other topic here, so hope this works with the pictures. But here you can see one of the clutches on the main crank shaft. The first picture has the outer toothring removed so you can see the rollers with the cage that holds them. The seconds picture shows it with the toothring back on (and you can just about see the rollers from the side of the sprocket)

take care the flat cables ... one is broken ... i think that means game over for me ... ?

View attachment 64538

View attachment 64539

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles