E160RSX IN THE FOREST

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Nice!
Very laid-back delivery Mike. I can't help thinking that if you were an American there would have been a thumping rock soundtrack and a franticly paced commentary. And with Ken riding through the pain, despite his industrial strength painkillers! :LOL:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Nice!
Very laid-back delivery Mike. I can't help thinking that if you were an American there would have been a thumping rock soundtrack and a franticly paced commentary. And with Ken riding through the pain, despite his industrial strength painkillers! :LOL:
true!.............its the euphoric impact of a pine forest!

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Can I ask what editing software you use mate, I have hours and hours of GoPro footage to edit, I have tried iMovie and Davinci resolve but when I try uploading to YouTube my footage is all grainy, I always record in 4K at 30 FPS, YouTube won’t let me upload any higher than 1080P for some strange reason, any help appreciated please

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Firstly what resolution you use depends to an extent on which Gopro you have. I have the Hero 7 Black.....never seen any real benefit in changing to any of the later models. In general, the quality output of any resolution depends on the quality of available light, whether most of the stuff in frame is stationary or fast moving, and the a bility of the camera to focus on the main subject within the frame. I ride mostly forest trails............light is often poor due to tree canopy, the subject is fast moving, and stuff like bracken, long grass etc does not provide good subjects for a camera to achieve an accurate focus.
I use 2.7k @50fps ( 16:9)mostly..............1080@50fps if the light is really poor. Personally I would only ever use 4k if the Gopro was tripod mounted. Keep in mind that very few people likely to view your video will have a screen resolution higher than 1080p. That is not to say you cannot get better quality by using a resolution higher than that when recording but certainly above 2.7k it is unlikely anyone would be a ble to tell the difference.

GoPro uses 2 different codecs. H264 which is a long standing standard and HEVC. HEVC typically being used for resolutions of 2.7k 4:3 and a bove and produces smaller files ( very necessary for 4K!) HEVC is however not standardised and often not well supported by editing software......I avoid it. Your Gopro handbook tells you which of the resolutions use which codec.
Its another reason why I use 2.7k 16:9 ( Wide).....it uses H264 and has the Hyper stabilisation option.

So to editing: I use Mavix Movie Studio 2024. I load and edit in a project at 2.7k@50fps and export at 1080@50fps since the majority of views will be on my YT channel and they will either be using 1080 PC monitors or phones. I upload to an external drive and then upload from there to YT ( most editing suites with direct upload to YT give you no control over the output!!). If I want a higher res version for myself the project is saved in the editing suite so I just need to export again at that higher resolution. To be honest most of the time I have seen no need.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
There is a great youtube tutorial by The Loam Ranger on setting up your GoPro settings and another one on using Davinci which I have found fantastic. It's a bit of mucking around to start with but after a while it all becomes easier. You spend all that time shooting, editing etc so you may as well get the most out of it. Thanks Loam Ranger!!!

and

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Absolutely awesome replies, when I can see properly again I will look at the settings on my GoPro 9 hero black and I’m not sure if I’ve seen the Liam Rangers video but I will certainly look at it, thanks again guys 🙏🫡

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Firstly what resolution you use depends to an extent on which Gopro you have. I have the Hero 7 Black.....never seen any real benefit in changing to any of the later models. In general, the quality output of any resolution depends on the quality of available light, whether most of the stuff in frame is stationary or fast moving, and the a bility of the camera to focus on the main subject within the frame. I ride mostly forest trails............light is often poor due to tree canopy, the subject is fast moving, and stuff like bracken, long grass etc does not provide good subjects for a camera to achieve an accurate focus.
I use 2.7k @50fps ( 16:9)mostly..............1080@50fps if the light is really poor. Personally I would only ever use 4k if the Gopro was tripod mounted. Keep in mind that very few people likely to view your video will have a screen resolution higher than 1080p. That is not to say you cannot get better quality by using a resolution higher than that when recording but certainly above 2.7k it is unlikely anyone would be a ble to tell the difference.

GoPro uses 2 different codecs. H264 which is a long standing standard and HEVC. HEVC typically being used for resolutions of 2.7k 4:3 and a bove and produces smaller files ( very necessary for 4K!) HEVC is however not standardised and often not well supported by editing software......I avoid it. Your Gopro handbook tells you which of the resolutions use which codec.
Its another reason why I use 2.7k 16:9 ( Wide).....it uses H264 and has the Hyper stabilisation option.

So to editing: I use Mavix Movie Studio 2024. I load and edit in a project at 2.7k@50fps and export at 1080@50fps since the majority of views will be on my YT channel and they will either be using 1080 PC monitors or phones. I upload to an external drive and then upload from there to YT ( most editing suites with direct upload to YT give you no control over the output!!). If I want a higher res version for myself the project is saved in the editing suite so I just need to export again at that higher resolution. To be honest most of the time I have seen no need.
Thanks for this Mike, now I have read this in it’s entirety and understand what you’re saying mate, I will look into trying these settings when I’m able to see things after my other eye has been sorted, I really appreciate you taking the time to type this out and maybe this time I will be able to post the hours of footage I have 🤞

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Davinci resolve is great but it’s a big software suite that takes up a lot of space on a hard drive

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A decent PC is really needed for hd video editing. Mine is Intel core7, 1TB SSD, 16gb RAM , GeForce RTX3050 graphics with 8gb. You can get away with lower specs but editing will be slow and exporting very slow.
Minimum spec for most editing suites is 2.4ghz processor 4gb ram , Intel graphics HD 650 or GeForce GTX 1050 or AMD Radeon RX 470...GPU with 1gb vram. Also helpful to have SSD rather than hard disc.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Yeah when I bought this iMac I should have bought one with a bigger hard drive, I do have an external hard drive but trying to export edited videos from the software suite to the hard drive didn't seem to be possible, I fear I'll have to chose an editing software package that has its own storage capacity, I think, I'm totally shite when it comes to tech, all that stuff you typed is well over my head Mike, if I could find someone locally to me I could get some face to face tuition on editing on an iMac, maybe that way I could retain it in my stupid brain :ROFLMAO: and then that said, it wasn't the actual editing I struggled with, It was when I tried to upload it to YouTube I just couldn't upload it above 1080P, when I watched it back it was all grainy and horrible to watch and that was with both iMovie and Davinci Resolve, I just gave in in the end before I needed a new computer if you know what I mean :mad:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Yeah when I bought this iMac I should have bought one with a bigger hard drive, I do have an external hard drive but trying to export edited videos from the software suite to the hard drive didn't seem to be possible, I fear I'll have to chose an editing software package that has its own storage capacity, I think, I'm totally shite when it comes to tech, all that stuff you typed is well over my head Mike, if I could find someone locally to me I could get some face to face tuition on editing on an iMac, maybe that way I could retain it in my stupid brain :ROFLMAO: and then that said, it wasn't the actual editing I struggled with, It was when I tried to upload it to YouTube I just couldn't upload it above 1080P, when I watched it back it was all grainy and horrible to watch and that was with both iMovie and Davinci Resolve, I just gave in in the end before I needed a new computer if you know what I mean :mad:

If you’ve got a decent phone then try just using the GoPro app (Quik?) to edit. It’s dead easy to use and quick! Saves faffing about and spending hours sat in front of a screen. It’ll upload to YouTube from the app too

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
If you’ve got a decent phone then try just using the GoPro app (Quik?) to edit. It’s dead easy to use and quick! Saves faffing about and spending hours sat in front of a screen. It’ll upload to YouTube from the app too
I wouldn’t know where to start mate, at the moment I can’t see properly until I’ve completed my eye surgery and I don’t know if my phone is good enough as it’s like me, old and decrepit 😉

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Re saving your edited video to an external drive................
I have never used an iMAC so all my experience is with Windows but if you connect an internal drive to a PC/Laptop (I have one with 1 TB capacity permanetly connected to my PC) it appears on your file directory as a new drive. When you have finished editing a video in an editing suite you then need to render it. Most editing suites refer to this as "exporting". The options you then get are what format you want to format it at.......choose MPEG 4 (your video is rendered as "whatever name you gave it.mp4"....... and at what resolution......I use 1080@50fps ( see note below). You should then get to chose where it is to be exported to............choose the external drive ...e.g D: or whatever it is designated on your directory. This complete process is rendering your edited video out as an .MP4 file on your external hard drive. If you then go to YT and select your YT channel you can upload that file from your external hard drive.

nb. I have my editing suite and Gopro set to PAL....you appear to have yours set to NTSC. These are colour coding formats and PAL is usually used in the UK. It is not critical but it does impact the frames per second rates used. For example PAL is 25fps and multiples, NTSC is 30 fps etc.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Thanks for your reply and help, how do you know I have mine set to NTSC, even I didn’t know that, I tried to do some work on my iMac yesterday but even though it’s the biggest screen that was available in 2021 I still can’t see it properly so gave up trying, like I said yesterday I did manage to edit my videos but it was just that last step getting it on YT at the higher resolution and I would have been sorted, if I can change my settings to PAL, do you think that’ll be it then Mike

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I have a question for you Mike, my GoPro is set to MTP in the USB CONNECT, the other option is GoPro connect, would that make any difference do you think please

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You can use PAL or NTSC as long as you are consistent across platforms.
If you are referring to connection mode of Gopro to a PC I never do that. In order to transfer video clips from Gopro to a PC/Laptop it is safest to remove the micro sd from the Gopro and put that in the PC using a. SD adaptor. Then just open those files and copy them to your hard drive. Safely remove the sd/micro sd once that is done and put it back in the gopro. Use Gopro then to format the micro sd. That ensures the micro sd is empty and ready for you next video session.

If you are happy with the video you have edited on your editor, as I described above , export it to your hard drive or external drive as an mp4 file. Then use your YT channel to upload it .

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Thanks Mike, that’s a enormous help, previously I’ve been getting back from a ride and plugging my GoPro into a usb wall socket and uploading my footage to the GoPro cloud and paying a £50 subscription for the privilege of it 😟 I never thought about doing your way, I just thought that’s how it was supposed to be done, thanks Mike, you could have well been responsible for restoring my sanity mate 😉😁 oh yeah, I meant to ask for which one of those Magix editing software packages have you got because I noticed that there’s three different choices, and also I’ve tried to put my GoPro on those settings you suggested but my GoPro won’t allow me to, in fact mine hasn’t got a 50 FPS, mine is 4K @ 30FPS, mine is a 9 black

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thanks Mike, that’s a enormous help, previously I’ve been getting back from a ride and plugging my GoPro into a usb wall socket and uploading my footage to the GoPro cloud and paying a £50 subscription for the privilege of it 😟 I never thought about doing your way, I just thought that’s how it was supposed to be done, thanks Mike, you could have well been responsible for restoring my sanity mate 😉😁 oh yeah, I meant to ask for which one of those Magix editing software packages have you got because I noticed that there’s three different choices, and also I’ve tried to put my GoPro on those settings you suggested but my GoPro won’t allow me to, in fact mine hasn’t got a 50 FPS, mine is 4K @ 30FPS, mine is a 9 black
Movie Studio 2024 Platinum.

To set PAL/NTSC
On the Gopro..........Preferences/Regional/Video Format.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Movie Studio 2024 Platinum.

To set PAL/NTSC
On the Gopro..........Preferences/Regional/Video Format.
Thanks Mike, yeah I was playing with my GoPro yesterday and found out the method for changing it to PAL, it’s slightly different from yours but I managed it mate 😉👍

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I finally managed to get sorted with this editing lark, finally got iMovie to upload in 4K and upload to YouTube in 4K, it took 4 hours to upload but my latest video is finally released today at 12 noon, it’s a bit tame but it was done post spinal surgery, it’s called EASTERN MOORS FROM SHILLITO WOODS CARPARK, I’m not sure how to post a link to it but I suppose I’ll learn in time

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I don’t know if I had downloaded the old iMovie app but it wouldn’t let me upload in 4K, 1080P was the highest resolution it would go to, I deleted it and everything to do with iMovie months ago, I reloaded it the other day and bingo, 4K resolution is now available, YorkNey Trail Rider is my channel name if you want to watch it from 12 noon today, thanks.
As you will probably work out for yourselves but I’m still fairly new to editing and YouTube so I hope you’ll understand that 😁

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I don’t know if I had downloaded the old iMovie app but it wouldn’t let me upload in 4K, 1080P was the highest resolution it would go to, I deleted it and everything to do with iMovie months ago, I reloaded it the other day and bingo, 4K resolution is now available, YorkNey Trail Rider is my channel name if you want to watch it from 12 noon today, thanks.
As you will probably work out for yourselves but I’m still fairly new to editing and YouTube so I hope you’ll understand that 😁
Will do 👍

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I think it’s the YorkNey part that swung it mate 😉I’ll be sure to look at your channel, I’m a little busy at the moment running my car as it’s been stood for nearly three weeks and I just need to charge the battery up 👍

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I think it’s the YorkNey part that swung it mate 😉I’ll be sure to look at your channel, I’m a little busy at the moment running my car as it’s been stood for nearly three weeks and I just need to charge the battery up 👍
YorkNey!
I missed that bit because I am a 🐓

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I’ve found your channel and you’ve done some great videos mate, of course it goes without saying that I’ve subscribed 😉👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles