E160RSX Fox 38 settings.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have the Fox 38 Factory on my E180 RS and Fox 38 Performance Elite on my E160RSX. The Factory fork is the EBike tuned version, the Performance Elite is the standard tune.
OK the Factory fork is 180mm travel whilst the Performance Elite 160mm but my settings are very different on each so I thought I would share them.

Both forks perform very well.

For reference I weigh 75kg plus riding gear and ride mostly natural forest trails withsmall drops and small to moderate jumps.

All settings are clicks from fully fast/open

E180RS.
LSR 6 (range is 12) HSR 2 (range is 8)
HSC 3 (range is 8) LSC 5 (range is 16)
Air pressure 75psi

E160RSX ( range for all as above)
LSR 3. HSR 1
HSC 1 LSC 3
Air pressure 75psi

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Miles off my psi settings 😂
Non ebike 170 factory 38's and about 88k kitted out and I need 120 psi to get 30mm sag which is about mid point of suggested fox settings.
After trying all sorts I have gone back to recommend settings for comp and rebound.
Its getting hammered round Dalby Forest today then the forks are going somewhere for a reshim and service 🙄
In Fact my hands have had that much of a pounding I'm having them operated on on Friday 😢

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Im not surprised your hands have taken a hammering with that set up!!
I did a forest trail ride today that is mostly short downhill runs, very rooty, with drops, berms and jumps. The fork set up as per my settings a bove was really good. It was plush enough to soak up the chatter and hammering over rooty sections whilst keeping the wheel planted and most of the time maxed out at about 85% travel only going to about 95% travel ona fairly big jump on which I landed a bit heavy.
Most of the reviews of the Fox 38 ( non EBike)state that the damping is too firm and the testers tend to run both rebound and compression fairly open. The EBike version has a different damping tune which produces a more plush intial part of the stroke but ramps up quickly.
Personally I pay little attention to SAG except on first set up just to get in the ballpark. Thereafter I only keep track of air pressure without worrying a bout what SAG that results in. I started with this fork at 70 PSI and Fox recommended settings on compression and rebound. The fork was sitting too far into its travel a lot of the time so I increased air pressure to 80psi. That resulted in harshness over chatter and roots and a typically maximum travel of a bout 80%. so I then reduced air pressure to 75 PSI and reduced compression and rebound settings as per my original post.................PERFECT!!
You are heavier than me and maybe doing bigger jumps and drops but I cannot believe 120 PSI is right for you.......thats only a bout 18% SAG..............I am running about 28% on the E160 and about 25% on the E180.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I can't get anywhere near the lower psi settings without the fork sinking into the mid stroke and being even harsher. Despite removing loads of grease from the air shaft, perhaps it still has too much on it and not working correctly. Wide open compression does not make any difference although opening the fast rebound helps. I don't do hardcore riding as such. Just fast red and black general trail centres and longish cross country riding.
The fork is still in warranty just so I might as well get a service and check over with a custom tune whilst I'm out of action.
Quick edit. These pressures are not exact unless we all use a calibrated digital pump. Mine is 5 psi low at 100 when checked with my digital tyre gauge.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
yep..the only importance of knowing the air pressure is to be able to increase or decrease it so using the same shock pump regardless how accurate it is..or not....just lets you adjust accordingly.
Your issue may be to do with equalising the pressure across positive and negative chambers. You probably know already that you need to cycle the fork through 25% of its travel every 10/15psi 3 or 4 times.
With that much air spring pressure compression settings will be overpowered so not surprised zero compression makes no difference. Rebound is of course the return stroke. Hopefully your service sorts this out. If the fork is working properly I would guess your air pressure needs be somewhere around 90 psi.

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
75kg, also a 160 RSX.

LSC: Fully open
HSC: Fully open
LSR: 7
HSR: 6
PSI: 84
Removed a volume spacer so on 2 now. Tried increasing to 88psi but fork felt a bit harsh on small bumps. Reduced back down to 84psi and feels better now, using pretty much all the travel which is good. Small bump compliance still isn’t amazing but it’s better than it was, going to get a fork service done to see if there is excess grease in the lowers.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I sent mine off to silverfish for a service. Mainly because the warranty runs out next month.
I also enquired about a shim tune.
Its arrived back with a new £450 damper cartridge fitted under warranty 😁
Now I might be able to set the bloody thing up using some of your settings as a starting point 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles