E160 sizing help

kimzsmith

Jul 13, 2023
Bath
Hi
I'm about to buy a Whyte E-160S, but not sure on sizing.
I'm 6'2" and was sure on a size Large, but I've been advised I should buy an XL.
My current bikes are a size Large. A Specialized Stumpjumper 6fattie 2016, which has a reach of 435 (E160 size L=483, XL=510), which I really get on well with and feels really confident. I know it has a longer stem, but it does size up closest to the L in the E160.
I don't have anywhere close to try one, so interested in people's experience?
I'm near Bath if anyone has a L/XL that I could sit on?

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
I'm a touch under 6'2, and have had 2 previous Whyte bikes in size large.

I demo'd an RSX in large and it felt small, so when I ordered my S, I got an XL and it's a great fit (for me at least).

Hope this helps....

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
No worries.

It's a bit odd really, cos when I stand the e160 (XL) next to my s150 (l), they are basically the same size

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
Depends a bit on what kind of stuff you want to ride. If you are riding more mellow trails, then the maybe not so much benefit in going up to XL. 435 is very short for your size by modern standards, so no matter what it is likely to take some getting used to.

I'm 5ft7 and the medium feels absolutely spot on for me. Either way, it's a great bike!

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
You need to figure out what your reach number is and go from there. My preferred reach is between 430-440, that’s all I look at when buying a new bike. That puts me on a small in just about every brand but I’m 5’6, I used to ride mediums before the long, low and slack trend took over. I would think at 6’2 your reach number would be 470-500ish but that’s just me guessing.

You could technically go either way though, the L with a longer stem or the XL with a shorter stem. It’s easier to make a smaller bike bigger than to make a big bike smaller though.

Mamba90

Subscriber
May 19, 2023
Wirral
I am a smidge over 6ft but have short legs and long torso. Historically on other bikes I have felt a little cramped in the cockpit for a size L. However, on my whyte e160 2023 size L fits me really well. The XL felt too big.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I'm 6"3 and went with a E-160S Large.
The reach feels fine to me but I have the seat at the same size as the bars and I think the seat was almost as far back as it can go on the rails
if you do a lot of steep trails XL might be better unless you have short legs for your height.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles