E160 900E gearing change

Clyde

Apr 16, 2020
Poland
Hello guys.
I found that there is an oryginal 36t shimano chainring

SM-CRE80-12-B

This is going to fit right?

It is possbile to buy but only with spider ring CRE80-12-B (53mm chainline)
But it is the same spider ring as we have in e160 ?
I can't find anywhere single shimano 36t chainring only box with spider :(

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Hello guys.
I found that there is an oryginal 36t shimano chainring

SM-CRE80-12-B

This is going to fit right?

It is possbile to buy but only with spider ring CRE80-12-B (53mm chainline)
But it is the same spider ring as we have in e160 ?
I can't find anywhere single shimano 36t chainring only box with spider :(

States it’s only for 12 speed though!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
This chain has done less than 200 miles - This is the amount of lateral flex it has....if it were on any of my motorcycles, I would have binned it ages ago...!!!

View attachment 25836
Ever since 1x has been manufactured (not home done), the chains have been designed with more lateral flex. Other changes have occurred too - for example the chain is designed to go in one direction (shimano - don't know about the others). The rear mech is also different - it has an off set pivot point that gives it much more range than older 2x and 3x mechs. The chain rings are thick thin to help hold the chain. The chain rings now are more robust - the 2x and 3x shimano rings had all sorts of angles on the teeth, some teeth weren't as high as others etc. This was to aid shifting between chain rings. They were quite complex in comparison to what we have now. They are just some of the obvious changes. I imagine that 12x is the weakest, and quickest to wear out too - there is a lot less material in the chain compared to 8x 9x 10x even 11x. My 8x chain is 2x wider than my 10x.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I was impressed with that article, and it did surprise me. A huge difference in longevity in favour of the high end 12x chains over 11x, 10x etc. I was thinking on it later though. I believe that most wear (stretching) is due to load. If you live in a hilly area I think your chain will stretch faster. Also shifting. There was no mention of applying load in the testing, just using an abrasive lubricant and lots of spinning around on a motorised groupset. Just an observation. I'm still impressed with the test, but wonder how relevant it is

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
There is an obscure reference to the load in that article - but in response to your comment, my understanding is that the the tests are run at 250w load - this is way more power than most naturally aspirated bikes would be worked at. You can see more detail on the technical underpinnings of the tests on zero friction’s website, like here:
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/...e-Longevity-Full-Test-Brief-and-Protocol-.pdf
relevant quote:
“Each test takes a lot of time and resources to get through, with most tests expected to take around 150 to 200 hours of run time at 250w load, with many many points of intervention for re-lube & adding contamination.”
Ahh, thanks for that. I would have read it but not understood it as load - I think of watts as power. Very impressive. I often think of that skinny little chain when I'm standing on it, cranking hard over something.

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
My stock e11 chain was 0,5 worn after just 500km. Well maintained, and not especially hard use.
And the next chain , shimano cn-e8000 lasted approx 700km.
Retesting a new e11 again now for confirmation, But not decided which i`ll try next.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Did you have to do anything with your chain? Meaning is there enough play the spring loading in the derailer to accommodate the extra couple of teeth?
Can't see anything in the thread with dramas relating to chain length so just went and ordered a snail 36T.
Thanks for the heads up on the bolts HORSPWR, will be sure to check all of that when I chuck on the new sprocket, cheers Steve
You could always check that the b bolt on the derailleur is backed right off - that should buy you some length.

cartman

Jun 9, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Great thread, made for good reading and thanks to all the contributors! Have been thinking about going the 36T option myself - what's the current state of play for those who have tried it now a year or more on? I've done 6,000+kms on mine, still on the original chainring despite it outlasting 5 cassettes (across two wheelsets) and half a dozen KMC chains.
Asking myself if I stay with the tried and tested Shimano 34T or do I look for the 36T options given I rarely use the larger end of the cassette, and often run out of gears at the other end at speed.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Great thread, made for good reading and thanks to all the contributors! Have been thinking about going the 36T option myself - what's the current state of play for those who have tried it now a year or more on? I've done 6,000+kms on mine, still on the original chainring despite it outlasting 5 cassettes (across two wheelsets) and half a dozen KMC chains.
Asking myself if I stay with the tried and tested Shimano 34T or do I look for the 36T options given I rarely use the larger end of the cassette, and often run out of gears at the other end at speed.
It has been a couple of months for me. I went to a smaller chainring - from 34 to 32. I choose the steep technical climbs and generally I'm in a low assistance mode. My chainring is cheap and aluminium - I don't expect it to last that long. I think I can reverse it. I have two spares.

The life you have got out of your chainring is impressive.

The only issues I'm aware of going bigger are: clearance to the chainstay (will the larger chain ring hit the chainstay), and, chain guide adjustment (will it adjust enough for the larger chain ring). Of course you'd be better to do it when you need a new chain so that you can make the new chain the correct length.

cartman

Jun 9, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It has been a couple of months for me. I went to a smaller chainring - from 34 to 32. I choose the steep technical climbs and generally I'm in a low assistance mode. My chainring is cheap and aluminium - I don't expect it to last that long. I think I can reverse it. I have two spares.

The only issues I'm aware of going bigger are: clearance to the chainstay (will the larger chain ring hit the chainstay), and, chain guide adjustment (will it adjust enough for the larger chain ring). Of course you'd be better to do it when you need a new chain so that you can make the new chain the correct length.
Truth be known the chainring has also outlasted a battery (intermittant disconnection, replaced under warranty), the frame (crack at the top tube/seat tube join, replaced under warranty) and the motor (cracked housing not realised until it was removed when replacing the frame, also replaced under warranty).
Possibly unrelated, but there's a lot to be said with buying from your LBS who has a good reputation with the distributors - zero issue with any of the warranty claims.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia

It depends on the chainring you choose, I fitted a Snail brand from ebay, it's performed faultlessly and held up to some abuse and quite a few kms. It does only just catch the chainstay by a bees dick but it must be due to frame flex as when you're off the bike there's a couple of mil clearance. I did purchase a Raceface chainring because it's 1.5mm smaller in diameter and should provide a bit of extra clearance.

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
I've been using a Deckas a;;oy ring like the one pictured in this thread....
It didnt last long enough for me to bother again. Namely because, whilst cheap, it started to give e issues whilst out and about. If Id been quicker to realise, I might have avoided it but it basically started grabbing the chain and wrapping it up the back- leading to paintwork damage to the chainstay that is shameful...
I I prefer 36T. I wouldnt bother with alloy...
Anyone got a link for a decent steel chainring ?
200 miles out of the chain. A bit more from the chainring...Ouch !

How do you tell which way round the Shimano chains are supposed to go ? - it does clearly show that their "Quick link' is directional but not the chain. I saw nothing on the box/info sheet to make me think it was even an issue..!

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I've been using a Deckas a;;oy ring like the one pictured in this thread....
It didnt last long enough for me to bother again. Namely because, whilst cheap, it started to give e issues whilst out and about. If Id been quicker to realise, I might have avoided it but it basically started grabbing the chain and wrapping it up the back- leading to paintwork damage to the chainstay that is shameful...
I I prefer 36T. I wouldnt bother with alloy...
Anyone got a link for a decent steel chainring ?
200 miles out of the chain. A bit more from the chainring...Ouch !

How do you tell which way round the Shimano chains are supposed to go ? - it does clearly show that their "Quick link' is directional but not the chain. I saw nothing on the box/info sheet to make me think it was even an issue..!
with the 12x chains, all the writing faces the outside.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles