Rail (625Wh) E-thirteen Carbon Fiber Cranks Squeaking like a mofo

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
Ive pulled em apart and greased the splines but it comes back whenever you pedal they creak LOUD anyone got a fix or time to swap em out?? they have bout 1000miles on em ty

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The squeaking will probably turn into creaking, eventually start wobbling, and finally completely fail. It’s my understanding that the spindle or peddle insert is making the noise. You can’t get grease in there. The slight movement between the metal insert and carbon is likely causing the noise (and eventually damage imo.) This is obviously an engineer/manufacturer issue which happens during the build process (not to all) to some carbon cranks. This is my fear with the e13 carbon cranks and one of the reasons I haven’t installed a set. Warranty may be your friend. I don’t think you can even get epoxy in there to stop the creak. But that creak would drive me crazy.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Ive pulled em apart and greased the splines but it comes back whenever you pedal they creak LOUD anyone got a fix or time to swap em out?? they have bout 1000miles on em ty

I have zero faith in e*thirteen carbon cranks after the debacle I went through with my Orbea. After having them fall off a few times, I swapped them out for Shimano cranks (at Orbea's expense).

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
The squeaking will probably turn into creaking, eventually start wobbling, and finally completely fail. It’s my understanding that the spindle or peddle insert is making the noise. You can’t get grease in there. The slight movement between the metal insert and carbon is likely causing the noise (and eventually damage imo.) This is obviously an engineer/manufacturer issue which happens during the build process (not to all) to some carbon cranks. This is my fear with the e13 carbon cranks and one of the reasons I haven’t installed a set. Warranty may be your friend. I don’t think you can even get epoxy in there to stop the creak. But that creak would drive me crazy.
thanks, Im looking to go to ally cranks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles