E-Sommet: 2 Years On

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
How much further can that post can be dropped into your seat tube?
That ergon saddle you're running has a fairly average stack height. Something lower like an SLR 135 would probably give you close to an extra 20mm. Would that'd be of any use for you to achieve the holy grail of 170mm drop?
Assuming of course. you have an SLR compatible arse ;)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Trust me that Ergon DH saddle is like a razor blade compared to most saddles! but my ass likes it, and I also like how small and out the way it is when riding.

Ergon SMD2 Saddle - Review - Pinkbike

I can drop the post further in if I wanted too, and also raise it up more, but I actually have it set slightly below the height I would do on a normal bike, as I find I sit down more when climbing on the bike, and like to have a bit more bend in my knees when fully extended as a result. How it is set up now is perfect for me.

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Just checked mine and its not got any pressure range nor a valve. It's a 150 on a 2019 VR.

20200407_113335.jpg

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Hmm - mines from 2018 so maybe the changed the design?
Yeah looks like the bean counters have had a hand in the design at some point in 2018/2019... seems like only the 170XL has retained the valve. However saying this maybe its a tolerances thing and the 170 still needs the valve as I've heard of people having issues with the 170s out of the box requiring perioding top ups?.. but that's anecdotal from the internet so could be just a few rare cases.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah @R120 . I've ridden the ergon DH saddle. (on a DH bike tho).
SLRs are way more comfortable for me. They are narrow, extremely minimalist and racey but flex tons (in a good way).

and yeah. the brand X dropper has changed tons of times in the last 4 years.
so much so I forget which of mine have a valve and which don't. (I must have owned at least 10 of them in that time taking warranty replacements into account)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
my 170mm has required one air top up over the year it's been in use. it's probably done somewhere in the region of 4-5000miles though.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Great write up @R120

Couple of questions for you - what happened with CRC warranty? Mine has gone down with the torque sensor fault. I asked if an LBS that sorted a mate's E-Sommet warranty could do it but they insisted on having it back. Turns out they have a lot of mechanics self isolating so they have had it 2 weeks and not looked at it yet. I'm thinking of asking for it back and going the LBS route whether they refund the £80 charge or not. I'm missing it badly! On a mate's carbon Mondraker analogue at the moment, was loving the nimble handling initially but the novelty is wearing off now....

Defo thinking of putting the Galfer 223mm rotor on the front although not sure if I can cope with mismatched rotors so would have to do both ends at some point which is a bit spend. What pads are you running? I see Galfer have specific pads (possibly even front and rear specific from one review which sounds like a gimmick). Running Uberbike Race Matrix at the mo which have been good but not lasted that long. Clearly I need to brake less!

Covered most of the mods on another thread but have since added Hx1501 wheels, Burgtec stem and bars and also have a 200mm C1 Reverb, a Fabric saddle and a Vittoria Martello rear tyre waiting to go on. Also picked up another 2.6 Magic Mary from Merlin for £29, should have bought a few but the one on there refuses to die. Love them, run them year round now.

Agree on the geometry, still not seen anything I'm desperate to replace it with. Not that I could afford it, paid £3250 for mine and prices have only gone one way since. Hope that the new motor is a retrofit and not mentally priced as will be a good way to keep the E-Sommet going, the e8000s certainly aren't going to last for more than a few years and my bike is just about to run out of warranty

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I filled out the online warranty with CRC (last June IIRC) and it took them 2 weeks to respond asking for more information, then another 2 weeks after that they got back in contact asking for whole bike to be sent back and to allow 6 weeks for it to be with CRC - by then I was supper pissed at them so got my LBS to do the warranty, which was turned around within 2 weeks, I think LBS charged me about 70 quid for the labor.

With the Galfers when I got the 223 I also got the matching 203 for the back (its a normal width, 1.8mm rather than 2mm on the bigger rotor) for exactly the same reasons you state, but didn't fit it at the time as my rear disc/pads had plenty of life left in them - I actually fitted it last week as my rear pads had started to go so took the opportunity to swap the disc, so now have the Galfers front and rear. First impressions are that the 203 Galfer disc is an improvement over the stock sram at the back, but that might just be that a new fresh set up always feels better. Running stock Guide RE pads, but think I will try the Galfer ones next time I need new pads.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I tried the MM 2.6's for a while, in the Super Gravity casing (or whatever they call the most heavy duty one) and found them way too slow rolling, in fact really didn't like them as found the whole bike became very sluggish to ride, was probably a mistake to run one on the rear.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I have the Addix soft Apex, mates are running the same and dont think any of us have punctured. Ideal on the front but wouldn't run one on the back!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
@R120. Where did you buy the Galfers from, and what spacers did you use for the front and rear? Thanks...

I got them from Dirthut on eBay

For the front, includes adapter:

Galfer Disc Brake Rotor & Adaptor 223mm Wave Fits Front Discs 180-223 SB001 8400170076881 | eBay

I didn't put a 1mm washer on like I did on the rear as it clears fine, and has worked well even though the calliper is close to the top of the disc. I reused the stock calliper bolts in the adapter, I should swap them out for shorter ones but haven got round to it.

On the rear I put a 1mm spacer/washer under the OEM calliper mount as the disc is 203mm vs the stock 200mm Sram one.

Looking on his shop now he doesn't appear to have the matching 203mm rear, just the floating version, but worth sending him a message as I remember him being helpful when I was confirming what bits I needed.

Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 11.26.45.png

Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 11.27.24.png

Last edited:

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
I got them from Dirthut on eBay

For the front, includes adapter:

Galfer Disc Brake Rotor & Adaptor 223mm Wave Fits Front Discs 180-223 SB001 8400170076881 | eBay

I didn't put a 1mm washer on like I did on the rear as it clears fine, and has worked well even though the calliper is close to the top of the disc. I reused the stock calliper bolts in the adapter, I should swap them out for shorter ones but haven got round to it.

On the rear I put a 1mm spacer/washer under the OEM calliper mount as the disc is 203mm vs the stock 200mm Sram one.

Looking on his shop now he doesn't appear to have the matching 203mm rear, just the floating version, but worth sending him a message as I remember him being helpful when I was confirming what bits I needed.

View attachment 29092

View attachment 29093
Thank you?. I don’t have a problem with rear brake power or fade, did changing the rear make a noticeable difference to power / feel? This being a 2.0mm versus standard 1.8mm rotor, did you have to sand down new pads?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
TBH on the rear (which is 1.8mm) it feels really good, but how much of that is just down to it being a new disc and pads vs being better than the stock SRAM disc I dont know, but I am definitely liking it.

On the front you need to make sure your pistons are pushed right back in, and I also spread the spring/retaining clips quite wide when installing the pads. its a very fine tolerance but once you have bedded in everything its all good, maybe a bit of rub to start. I do find I have to recenter the clipper every so often.

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
TBH on the rear (which is 1.8mm) it feels really good, but how much of that is just down to it being a new disc and pads vs being better than the stock SRAM disc I dont know, but I am definitely liking it.

On the front you need to make sure your pistons are pushed right back in, and I also spread the spring/retaining clips quite wide when installing the pads. its a very fine tolerance but once you have bedded in everything its all good, maybe a bit of rub to start. I do find I have to recenter the clipper every so often.
Thanks. ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Bored last night so I refitted the EW-EN100 Junction A, and took the time to tidy up the cables.

I have also swapped over the e7000 switch to the right hand side, as this enables much cleaner routing, and after a bit of testing it doesn't get in the way of the shifter paddles either.

Trawled the internet for some deals, and got an XT shifter with a Problem Solver mismatch kit and mmx clamp on the way so I can mount it to the brakes, which will clear up the handlebars further. I rarely use the switch and I think mounting it on the right hand side works pretty well.

Screenshot 2020-04-19 at 11.02.04.png

Screenshot 2020-04-19 at 11.02.39.png

Screenshot 2020-04-19 at 11.02.50.png

Screenshot 2020-04-19 at 11.03.36.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have also swapped over the e7000 switch to the right hand side, as this enables much cleaner routing
That's actually way neater than Di2 bars would have been.
I have mine on the left next to the grip. But I do use it loads, and often in the middle of fast/tech trails so still prefer it on the opposite side from my gear shifters.
What tape did you use, is it self amalgamating or just electrical tape?
Shrink wrap would be awesome but you'd have to seriously care about looks to be bothered disconnecting all your hoses and cables to do it properly.
you could colour co-ordinate tho ;)

71FqahZ0tAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heat-Shrink-Tubing-Sleeve-Various/dp/B07R57TJMD/ref=sr_1_4?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have shrunk wrapped before but its a PITA to do. I just used some electrical tape I had lying around

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
[/QUOTE]One of the best things for maintenance that I have bought, is a bike dryer, which is basically a glorified hairdryer, but it does get all the water out of the nooks and crannies, and blast loose dirt and crap out of the hard to reach places - I was actually pretty surprised my bearings had lasted so long, and put the fact they have down to using the bike dryer.
.[/QUOTE]

What bike dryer do you have? Would you get the same one again?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have the most basic Bruhl one

BRUHL MD1400 Single Speed Power Dryer

Although I am pretty sure I paid less for it than on the link above. There are cheaper options, but I went with Bruhl because they are a reputable company and having heard horror stories about hair dryers in the past, I didn't want to risk getting an eBay special. Some people also use pet dryers which are basically the same thing but a bit cheaper.

Its also brilliant at drying out wet shoes as well, just give them a blast when you come back from a ride and it makes them dry out a lot quicker

Last edited:

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Well I just won an Ebay auction (off that Paul Aston journo fella as it turns out) for two 223mm Galfer discs and adaptors for £36. Might as well chuck them both on for lolz. Will need some new pads soon. The Galfer ebike pads sound good but are bloody pricey. On Uberbike Race Matrix at the moment which I've been generally pleased with, thinking of trying the E-Matrix next as supposed to last a bit longer. Anyone tried them? Bank Holiday weekend coming which usually means 25% off at Uber.

Need to sort some other bits out first as my bike has just come back from CRC - unrepaired, damaged and with the only battery key I had for it missing. Waiting to hear back from them but I shall be adding my tale of woe to the CRC issues thread....

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
[QUOTE="Need to sort some other bits out first as my bike has just come back from CRC - unrepaired, damaged and with the only battery key I had for it missing. Waiting to hear back from them but I shall be adding my tale of woe to the CRC issues thread....[/QUOTE]

What was wrong with the bike?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
223mm discs front and rear?
what part of the Worthing Alps region do you live in Dave? ;)

Seriously though, Shit news about CRC fucking up your bike, hope you get it sorted out soon and amicably

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
You don't know the trails we got here man, none of you outsiders know.....

Completely OTT but just for lolz and that, will see if it's too much. Mate is already hassling me to sell him one but then I'd need to pay full price for a matching rear 203, otherwise my head will explode!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Everyone knows, skidz r 4 da cool kidz

luckily so is digging again.

afta da scralp bombz you gotta maintain dem trails blud

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles