Review Ducati TK01-RR

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Finally my new TK01-RR has landed. Now is the hard part, letting go of the trusted MIG-S.

Anyway, I will post my observations as I get to know the gen II bike, however I wanted to share with you, my first impression as I assembled it this evening.

The Ducati gen II (made by THOK) is a well engineered machine with incremental improvements visible in almost every sub-component. It is a fast evolving industry and one can see it from the design, fit, finish and quality components bolted onto it.

The alu-frame is well designed and beautifully crafted. Even the welds are decorative. Paint job, not as pretty as my first MIG-S, but it is growing on me. I like the brushed aluminium parts. It has a rugged and hi-tech look and feel to it.

I never had Ohlins suspension before, but jumping up and down in my yard I could feel the difference in damping. We will see how they perform in the woods later in the week.

Pirelli tyres have a ‘fast-looking’ thread in the centre with Klingon knoblies on the sides. They should roll well and dig deep when required.

Shimano EP8 motor has more granular controls through the eTUBE app, which is good, except I must admit, I don’t fully understand all the settings, I will have to experiment and report back. E.g. why would one have default setting of 27Nm in Eco, 34Nm in Trail and 63Nm in Boost, on a 85Nm motor? I see the bike has a second profile with more generous settings, but the instruction manual doesn’t explain how to switch to the second profile. We will have to fondle the controls until they switch-over.

The handlebars, the 2-finger brake levers and all the controls are ergo-designed and very well made. The seat is the same as on the MIG-S and it has the most comfortable saddle I had on a bike.

It is an expensive proposition, but worth every penny. The more I use it the lower is the amortisation and therefore the bigger bargain.

…tbc

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Plus picture from the late evening assembly

729B65AB-70DE-4225-9ED4-60325A5E020C.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You'll have to weigh it .. Even if you do the lazy mans front wheel on the scales then back wheel on the scales and add together for a close enough approximation ..

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
You'll have to weigh it .. Even if you do the lazy mans front wheel on the scales then back wheel on the scales and add together for a close enough approximation ..

Front - 12.7kg
Rear - 14.0kg
Ready to roll with battery fully charged, tyres pumped to 30 PSI, plus few minor accessories.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Phew ! It is a chunky monkey !!

Doing the same the Kenevo (L) - came in at 24kg's (500wh) and the Focus Jam2 (625wh) came in at 25.5kg (which is about what they should be) both had similar weight bias to the Thok.

We thought it might be heavy, but then it's got some heavy components and the Pirelli's are almost 3kg's between them. Have to say, the colours keep growing on me, is a really nice looking bike.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
So I have removed some accessories, pumped-up the tyres to the same pressure and done some unscientific comp with my fat a$$ scale:
* Ducati MIG-S - front 11kg - rear 13kg
* Ducati TK01-RR - frt 12kg - rear 14kg

PS. MIG is tubeless with worn tyres, TK01 still has tubes and brand new tyres with hair

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
What if you first weigh yourself and then yourself with a bike?
Yeah. Weird to stick the front & back on in some sort of medieval punishment maths when you'd think the obvious thing to do is stand on the scales whilst holding the bike, then stand on the scales without it & take one from the other. ?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Yeah. Weird to stick the front & back on in some sort of medieval punishment maths when you'd think the obvious thing to do is stand on the scales whilst holding the bike, then stand on the scales without it & take one from the other. ?

Front + back is just as easy - you add the 2 numbers together to get the total weight!

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Finally my new TK01-RR has landed. Now is the hard part, letting go of the trusted MIG-S.

Anyway, I will post my observations as I get to know the gen II bike, however I wanted to share with you, my first impression as I assembled it this evening.

The Ducati gen II (made by THOK) is a well engineered machine with incremental improvements visible in almost every sub-component. It is a fast evolving industry and one can see it from the design, fit, finish and quality components bolted onto it.

The alu-frame is well designed and beautifully crafted. Even the welds are decorative. Paint job, not as pretty as my first MIG-S, but it is growing on me. I like the brushed aluminium parts. It has a rugged and hi-tech look and feel to it.

I never had Ohlins suspension before, but jumping up and down in my yard I could feel the difference in damping. We will see how they perform in the woods later in the week.

Pirelli tyres have a ‘fast-looking’ thread in the centre with Klingon knoblies on the sides. They should roll well and dig deep when required.

Shimano EP8 motor has more granular controls through the eTUBE app, which is good, except I must admit, I don’t fully understand all the settings, I will have to experiment and report back. E.g. why would one have default setting of 27Nm in Eco, 34Nm in Trail and 63Nm in Boost, on a 85Nm motor? I see the bike has a second profile with more generous settings, but the instruction manual doesn’t explain how to switch to the second profile. We will have to fondle the controls until they switch-over.

The handlebars, the 2-finger brake levers and all the controls are ergo-designed and very well made. The seat is the same as on the MIG-S and it has the most comfortable saddle I had on a bike.

It is an expensive proposition, but worth every penny. The more I use it the lower is the amortisation and therefore the bigger bargain.

…tbc
I recommend you get the ST UNLOCKER APP. Much better then eTube app, totally customizable.

CBSTD

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2020
thoK0north
No it’s when the bike goes bouncy down a hill through trees on its own, those stupid scoops don’t get ripped off damaging the frame

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
My friends ask me: is the new bike any better, or just new fonts and colours
Well, the bike is a better machine, better specs all around: new SP8 motor, Shimano transmission, 630Wh battery, stronger brakes, better Ö suspension.
Also, gen I, was my ‘learner eMTB’ and now that ‘training wheels are off’, I am ready for higher spec.

However, the suspension factory setting was for an Italian underwear model… I had to set it to middle-aged north-European
Also, the front geometry is different. On gen I, I could comfortably ride with my hands off the bars, checking route on my phone or just messing around. With the gen II, I need to keep my hands on the bars to keep up-right. Perhaps with time I will learn new tricks.

The bike wheels have now been de-tubed and even though it’s only few 100s of grams the bike feels more agile, particularly at the front end.

Also, the e-TUBE app allows for more granular settings and I have customised the characteristics to suit my style:
* Eco from Lv4, 27Nm to 34Nm
* Trail from Lv6, 34Nm to 56Nm
* Boost from Lv8, 63Nm to 78Nm
The SP8 motor is quieter than E8000, but I have not stressed it yet so time will tell.
Finally, riding with motor OFF feels more natural and easy, but perhaps that is new wheels/tyres/bearings/suspension combo. I said that with my first eMTB as well, but TK01RR is a keeper

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
For reference, with my new bike/battery my range is astonishing 178km… and I believe it, as I have done 150km on my gen1 bike with smaller batt.
IMG_9229.jpg

We will see in few months, as the battery progressively degrades. I am still on 100% batt health (1-cycle), 300km on the clock.

CBSTD

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2020
thoK0north
For reference, with my new bike/battery my range is astonishing 178km… and I believe it, as I have done 150km on my gen1 bike with smaller batt.
View attachment 73063

We will see in few months, as the battery progressively degrades. I am still on 100% batt health (1-cycle), 300km on the clock.
Wow that’s more than double the range of the E8000 ☹️

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire

…tbc
hi pivot I just got mine last week , a few observations.
The Ohlins stock recomendations are way out I am running 80 psi in the main spring and 75 in the ramp up chamber , 2 clicks from open on low and high speed compression and 3 clicks from open on compression which releases a lot of sensitivity.
The shimano profiles are easy to change I have profile 1 at 30nm,60nm and 85nm which is shed loads and I spend 95% of my rides in eco,
Tyres are I am afraid to say not great in the wet I am down to 18 psi .Any more causes the bike to bounce off rocks .
The motor is very strong and handling is excellent , the weight dissapears on the trail.
For reference yesterday did a loop around Settle/ Mastilles lane 33 miles 4,387 ft of ascent and came back with 20% on the battery.Once your parameters are set leave the phone at home and just ride it I haven't looked at the app after the initial set up, though might fine tune it at some later date

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Set profiles 1&2 on your phone and switch between them on your display. After setting on your phone, check on the display that the one you want is active.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
hi pivot I just got mine last week , a few observations.
The Ohlins stock recomendations are way out I am running 80 psi in the main spring and 75 in the ramp up chamber , 2 clicks from open on low and high speed compression and 3 clicks from open on compression which releases a lot of sensitivity.
The shimano profiles are easy to change I have profile 1 at 30nm,60nm and 85nm which is shed loads and I spend 95% of my rides in eco,
Tyres are I am afraid to say not great in the wet I am down to 18 psi .Any more causes the bike to bounce off rocks .
The motor is very strong and handling is excellent , the weight dissapears on the trail.
For reference yesterday did a loop around Settle/ Mastilles lane 33 miles 4,387 ft of ascent and came back with 20% on the battery.Once your parameters are set leave the phone at home and just ride it I haven't looked at the app after the initial set up, though might fine tune it at some later date

Excellent @Bontee , sounds like you have it sorted.

I agree, the bike is great and the Pirelli’s roll well on hard dry surface, not as good in wet or my local mud.

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
there are very good videos on setting up Ohlins ,they say they take some time to loosen up and this seems to be the case, mine are certainly better now after 3 days on the quantocks and 3 days in yorkshire. Changing profiles on the display is easy , just look at the shimano tutorial on youtube.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
How do you switch profile 1-2 on the display?
I know how to set it with the eTube app.
You set the details of each Profile on the e-Tube app. I suspect that the last one you do is the one that is active on your bike, so you can do it that way I believe. To switch between profile 1 or 2 on your display, go into the menu and look for it, then choose 1 or 2. I can't be more helpful than that because I only did it once when I first got the bike and discovered that profile 2 was active when I wanted profile 1. It was easy to do.