Review Ducati MIG-S

N D

Feb 26, 2020
England
I had the same thoughts on my Thok MIG Flag too, purchased direct but mindful that there is a Shimano World Service Centre near to me for any motor issues.

The battery life seems to mimic mine with two good rides (total 80ish Kms) on a full charge whilst I get used to riding it and understand the settings. I have dropped the Eco mode to the low setting and ride in this most of the time, then use Trail in its default setting as required. Seems work for me on the (UK) Essex and Cambridgeshire tracks I ride. Instead of a 15/20km ride on my Spesh MTB, I'm now doing 40kms + per ride and out far longer.

Currently on firmware 4.7.1, I'll upgrade to 4.8 (I believe the latest) once it's been around for a short while to ensure all okay. Approx 300kms covered so far in July.

image.jpeg

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Today I went for a ride with my mates on analogue MTBs... they were surprisingly understanding, although there were some comments of going to the dark side

Anyway, to ride in a group I was switching between ECO and OFF, occasionally going to Trail. I expect more eMTBs in the woods, soon.

Also, the STunlocker is a great App! Half way through the ride we stopped and I de-tuned ECO from 30 to 20%, and tuned-up TRAIL mode from 90 to 100%. It was a noticeable change in both modes.

olde-mtber

Nov 1, 2019
New Zealand
I think just over 50k was the most I ever managed on DHR/DHF and that was an e8000 hardtail, so those steamy Italian looks help towards range ! :cool:

If you want to go further, look at using something like stunlocker to drop the assistance in eco a bit - you can do it in 5% increments from what I recall - where as e-tube just has (or had) three settings. I always found Eco by default a bit high. There's lots of threads about it, but trail is dynamic and will adjust anyway on the fly.
On my Trek Powerfly FS5 I've got 70ks and still had 36ks I could theoretically go and I have found the info has been very accurate so far. That was one of the things that kept me with Trek the computer gives a approximate range left and as I have said it works rather well.

N D

Feb 26, 2020
England
I believe the longest ford in England, approx. 1 mile in length. Sadly not fully passable this time of year however, the shallower northern half is still usable enough not to risk the motor whilst keeping the wheels clean.

N D

Feb 26, 2020
England
Looked a cold ride out yesterday ? ....a stark temp difference today in Essex, a warm 9c.
My makeshift rear mudguard has held up well on today's muddy Byways. Plus agree, Eco mode on lowest setting gives plenty of controllable grip.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
My parting impression of the MIG-S.

1. Phenomenal eMTB, simple to maintain, repair and most importantly Ride!
2. Feels solid on the ground and has great handling, inspires confidence on difficult trails, important for new e-riders.
3. Shimano E8000 motor is excellent, more customisable than bricked-in makes, but I understand from my LBS that Bosch has a better service (at least in SW England)
4. The 500Wh battery is sufficient. Under normal conditions I would do 60-70km per charge. On the lowest setting (20Nm) I actually did 150km
5. The SRAM transmission was rather sensitive and required regular adjustments, but I ride mostly on off-piste gravel and mud paths so additional maintenance might be necessary
6. Brakes, it chews brake-pads like peanuts, but that is probably my riding style and terrain.
7. Tyres - Assegai fitted as OEM were best. I cut a rear sidewall and had to replace with Hans Dampf (in stock). Assegai has better handling and traction
8. Reliability is excellent if you stick to the OEM app settings. When I set the power and torque too low with a 3rd party app it was spitting errors and was cutting out. When I reset to OEM settings, e.g. Eco low-mid-hi , the errors and problems have gone away.
9. Styling, fonts and colours - best in town
10. Would I recommend it to a friend? Hell yea! Get it and ride like you stole it!

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Six months after I changed my MIG-S for TK01-RR, I had an opportunity to swap bikes and ride my previous bike.

Well, I have to admit that the MIG-S is a better mid-range bike! It feels more agile with its lower centre of gravity, and the E8000 motor is perfectly adequate for my style of riding.

Don’t get me wrong, I am enjoying the Öhlins suspension, Shimano EP-800 motor, better transmission and brakes. I prefer to have 600Wh battery with a bigger range, but frankly speaking, I ride with 34Nm setting anyway and I cover ~30km on an average ride, so I hardly sweat the powertrain capability.

So, if your budget is tight and you are looking for a cool and solid bike I would wholeheartedly suggest you consider the MIG-S model.

However, if the budget is not a constraint and you want premium components get the TK01.