Dropper Post Remote

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I have have a Branxd X dropper post which works a treat but the remote lever is causing me some discomfort in my left thumb. Part of the reason is that I can't get it far enough under the handle bar because no matter what I do the brake lever mechanism gets in the way. I have to bring my thumb back quite a long way to activate the mechanism.
I have done some research and established that Wolf Tooth or PNW Loam Lever look much better and could solve the issue of positioning as well as being a smoother action. Neither is cheap but I value my thumbs. Does anyone have hands on experience of either?

Al

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I run Wolf Tooth with a Tranz-x post and love it - it gives a totally different feel to the post with no play, it sits quite close to the bars and has a nice big paddle. Quite a lot of adjustment parallel to the bars but the only way to adjust reach is to rotate it so not so sure it's what you're looking for.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I fitted a brand-X dropper to my grandson's bike and the remote lever is the same as on my KS dropper. I had to swap around the brake and remote to get a good position. Does it look like this?

Levers front.jpg

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Hmm, its tricky from that pic, but it looks the other style of Brand-x remote (like mine) would foul the power mode shifter.
It's the brake lever that is fouling the remote. I like the brakes at a fairly steep angle and I have to bring my thumb back quite a long way to operate the remote. It's the long screw housing and the position of the cable outlet (behind the brake fluid chamber) that causes the problems. My left thumb is beginning to hurt, I suspect that, because I'm improving, I use it more and I'm far more aware of these finer details.

Al

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Wolf tooth remotes are available with mounts to integrate with some SRAM and Shimano brake levers which may help declutter the left end of the bars.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Looking again at your pic, do you have any difficulty reaching the brake lever when you are off the back of the bike?
If you could raise the brake lever a bit, and tilt the remote up a bit, then would it work then?

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Looking again at your pic, do you have any difficulty reaching the brake lever when you are off the back of the bike?
If you could raise the brake lever a bit, and tilt the remote up a bit, then would it work then?
I've tried all combinations. Either the brake lever ends up too high for my liking or the remote ends up too far back. I've tried to arrive at a compromise position which I will test out tomorrow but to be honest I think the only solution will be to fit a new remote.

Reactions: S D

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
The compromise worked up to a point. I would prefer my brake levers at a steeper angle but at least my thumb didn't hurt as much after the ride. Placing the brake levers at a steeper angle pushes the remote lever further towards me. End of story. There are two solutions. Better quality remote, I'm thinking something like the Loam Lever, or new brakes. The latter is not as outrageous as it seems as I have been thinking about upgrading them in any case. Or here's a thought both :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles