Dropper post care

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I have never had a dropper before but after 2 weeks with my bike is feels like there is sand or something in the dropper. What is the best way to clean and lube these things?

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
All you can do, and depending on which dropper, is unscrew the collar, clean out under seals etc and pack in some light grease, eg SRAM Butter. Even this can void your warranty as I discovered with my X Fusion Manic (even though it is specified in the user instructions), but that is an argument for another day.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
All you can do, and depending on which dropper, is unscrew the collar, clean out under seals etc and pack in some light grease, eg SRAM Butter. Even this can void your warranty as I discovered with my X Fusion Manic (even though it is specified in the user instructions), but that is an argument for another day.
I did the same to my Bontrager dropper post after it started making a grinding sound on the way down. Surprised since doing this, my dropper has been buttery smooth. I can't see how doing this would void your warranty - but I don't know for sure.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Neither can I, but that is what X Fusion said, hence my remark about an argument for another day. Apparently I had been tinkering, the collar was on so tightly that I had to use a plumbers wrench to get it loosened, despite using a piece of inner tube, I marked the collar.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use wet lube on the post. Leave for 5 mins then slam the seat and release. Any dust etc gets stuck to the oil...wipe clean. Repeat only this time work the seat up and down. Clean and silicon spray. Routine before each ride. Never had any problems with the dropper. Leave dropper fully extended when not in use...dont use the saddle to lift or hang the bike.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
That's what I do, but with suspension spray. Before the post was sent back to X Fusion, there was so much side to side and fore and aft play that dirt could get in to and past the seal.

IMeasureStuff

Aug 9, 2020
Australia
One of the keys of prolonging the life of the dropper post and any stanchion on you bike is keeping it clean. If you are really serious you will clean (generally just with water and then wipe down with a soft cloth) after every ride. I was listening to a shock tech from RockShox (I think) and they carry a soft cloth in their pocket when they ride when it dusty. Before they would bomb a big run they would give all the stanchions a quick wipe. Which makes sense because you use little suspension on the pedal up a hill and you pick up alot of dust. If you then wipe it off you don't draw it into the suspension the first time time your fork compresses. It probably good advice if you don't plan on serving your lowers after 50 hours.

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Huh! Well I would have actually though storing the bike with dropper lowered would be best as it would avoid any dust build up on the post. Will start storing it with it up! Also the dust cloth for the trails is not a bad idea at all! Thanks folks! Now if I could just keep my chain ring lock to stay tight!

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
Huh! Well I would have actually though storing the bike with dropper lowered would be best as it would avoid any dust build up on the post. Will start storing it with it up! Also the dust cloth for the trails is not a bad idea at all! Thanks folks! Now if I could just keep my chain ring lock to stay tight!
Perhaps this would keep it cleaner but it is bad practice as the cylinder is charged and will almost certainly cause leaks or reverse charge at some point.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just put some wet lube on a rag and rub down the post, then cycle it a few times, and clear off the residue

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Now if I could just keep my chain ring lock to stay tight!
Remove the chain ring lockring (you'll need to get the special spider tool for it), clean everything real good, apply red loctite threadlock, torque to 35nm, (you'll need a torque wrench that reads anti-clockwise) - job done. Don't worry about the o-ring in behind the lockring, it's impossible to fit without it spreading out and breaking, doesn't seem to do anything anyway. (y)

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Thanks all! I've been caring for my dropper and everything seems good in that regard. I keep a clean rag with me for those dirty days so I can wipe it down mid-ride. I've also managed to keep that ring on tight. We over torqued it at my LBS by about 10% and it's now holding fine. After 600K I'm finally feeling at home on this bike. Can't wait to put a shiny set of Maxxis rubber on it though. The XR5 are just not enough for our terrain.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Yeah while I was waiting for my maxxis to turn up I thought that the XR5s weren't as bad as I initially thought. Then I put my Maxxis on & night & day handling & confidence.
I'm presuming got a Trek? If you have the 130mm dropper I'd recommend changing to a 180mm. I found the 130mm was always in the way of my thighs when descending.

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
That's what I'm hoping for! The XR5s (on my Trek Rail 7) slip on everything! I'm going to hunt around a little and see if I can source a pair this season. My LBS says they are only expecting some in November. Would be nice to have that confidence for the fall though.

Honestly my biggest beef with the current seat post is that I can't seem to find a way to reliably go down ~3cm for those more aggressive trails where full height is in the way but you still want some support. I find that the lowest height is ok, almost too low, but certainly out of the way for my descents.

IMeasureStuff

Aug 9, 2020
Australia
Yeah while I was waiting for my maxxis to turn up I thought that the XR5s weren't as bad as I initially thought. Then I put my Maxxis on & night & day handling & confidence.
I'm presuming got a Trek? If you have the 130mm dropper I'd recommend changing to a 180mm. I found the 130mm was always in the way of my thighs when descending.

What maxxis tyre did you go with? The standard Trek tyres on my rail 7 are fairly disappointing.

Also have to agree with you regarding the dropper. 130mm is a bit of a joke. Going to upgrade to a oneup 180mm sooner than later.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I go with DHF 2.5 simply because they are on special a lot & the DHRs aren't. Have a read of my post re not being able to get the tyre on the rim though first if you are like me & not used to dealing with tubeless setups & want to have a crack yourself.

re the one up dropper, I just spent the last few hours trying to get my post to drop easily. The problem I think is with the cheesy bontrager lever that flexes so much before operating the seatpost. I almost sprain my thumb sometimes pushing it.
I took the (newish) post to bits & regreased as per video, ( lost a bloody tiny screw, found it then lost the cable down the seat tube, got it out argggh!)& it's still as stiff as it was. The cable moves fine with the seatpost unattached & the seat post actuator works easily enough with my fingers but when its all back together it just isn't as good as I think it should be. I foiund the outer sheath of the cable does fit into the actuator that well & what I think happens is it disengages when the cable is fed/pushed/pulled down. Any feedback appreciated.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Stop the press! I have made a startling & potentially embarassing discovery. My one up seat post works buttery smooth with little force needed on the lever if I unweight the saddle, push the lever then sit down on the seat to drop it. If I try it with my weight on the saddle the force needed on the lever to drop the seat is excessive & bends the lever.
I haven't had this before on any of my other dropper posts. It may be a bit annoying on the trail when a sudden drop is needed but at least I know now.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles