Dork disc. To remove or not remove.....that is the question.

capposteve

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2023
Cornwall
I cant help think everytime i look at my bike that the dork disc just ruins the look of the back end. That and the fact it keeps flapping around and coming off the spokes. So what should i do? leave it on or take it off.

IMG_1587.jpeg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
agreed, however people more knowledgeable than me may say to keep it on for reasons XY and Z. I know what id like to do but unsure if it really is needed, if not ill just remove it ;)
I would hazard a guess that a good 90% of the riders on here remove it ASAP..
But hey if you want to be part of the dork crowd leave it on ..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It was introduced in the early days of mountain biking. A lot of the Californians used to also play frisby a lot. Someone worked out that if you drilled a hole in your frisby, you could carry it there.

This in turn led to the creation of the quick release axle so it was easier to get your frisby off.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I would hazard a guess, (actually based more upon observation) that over 99% of mountain bikers remove the dork disc. The dork disc is allegedly there in case the chain comes off the big ring, to prevent the chain jamming or damaging the spokes. This event may well happen on budget bikes or poorly set up bikes. But as we know, all mountain bikers (especially emtbrs) are paragons of virtue when it comes to bike set up, so a dork disc is unnecessary.
They also don't look good, especially when they are not concentric like the one in the OP's pic.

Ditch the dork disc!

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
agreed, however people more knowledgeable than me may say to keep it on for reasons XY and Z. I know what id like to do but unsure if it really is needed, if not ill just remove it ;)
Fair enough. If you are comfortable with the process of removing it, being without it with a properly adjusted rear D will be fine. If you work on the bike, on a stand for instance, the chain may drop in past the big chainring on rare occasion and that's a little bit of a nuisance but not a deal breaker. There's no reason really not to remove it and mostly cosmetic reasons to remove it. It's just your preference I'd say.

Trikk

Jun 12, 2023
Aus
Free weight savings.
It's an old requirement for manufacturers from back in the day to stop people from crashing when the chain gets stuck in the spokes on those janky old RD's...

Taking it off insists that you learn how to set your RD limit screws. Even if you perform no work on the bike ever, learning to index your gears and set your H/L/B screws should be mandatory to keep you shifting nicely in between lbs visits.
Happy trails.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles