To Charge (at 66%), or Not to Charge? That is the question...

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I have my new Shimano Steps based ebike and after my first ride I estimate the battery is at roughly 66% charge. This should be way more than I need for tomorrow's ride. I've heard that you should charge after every ride because these batteries don't have a 'memory', and I've heard that you shouldn't store them at 100%. What's a bloke to do? Please weigh in.

The Old Goat

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I only charge mine fully once a month-ish or when I need the capacity for a big ride. I've ridden 3700km over 9 months charging almost daily and it still behaves as new. Deep cycling them isn't ideal to do regularly ie: 100% to 10% etc. Lithium likes to be kept kinda 75% to 25% or in that region long term. As a daily rider, I aim for 80% and down to 40%, which with a 48V 498Wh pack lets me ride 25km with 700 metres of climbing or thereabouts.

mr wilson

Mar 22, 2020
Nairn, Scotland
It's very counter intuitive for us oldies isn't it?
I was told when I bought mine that it was better to charge little and often. More important to keep the battery indoors when it's cold, cold out.
"Range anxiety " was also mentioned but you'll soon get the hang of that and if you're like me then you'll find yourself being frugal with the amount of assistance you're using which in turn means you're getting more excercise and that's kind of the point of it all.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I've been riding every two/three days for 18 months on my Levo and I'll generally make sure it's charged to 100% just before the ride, often just by plugging it in at lunchtime for rides after work. No doubt the battery has lost some capacity over time but my range is about the same, probably from increased fitness.

If tomorrows ride is similar to what you rode today, 66% should be plenty - the key factors are altitude gain and gradient, steep stuff can really mow through the battery.

gwing

Apr 29, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK.
It's very counter intuitive for us oldies isn't it?
I was told when I bought mine that it was better to charge little and often. More important to keep the battery indoors when it's cold, cold out.
"Range anxiety " was also mentioned but you'll soon get the hang of that and if you're like me then you'll find yourself being frugal with the amount of assistance you're using which in turn means you're getting more exercise and that's kind of the point of it all.

Nope, its not counter intuitive, you just need to appreciate the principles involved:

a) For storing one of these batteries it should ideally have about 35% charge. This is particularly important for long term storage. Best policy is to charge the battery up from 35% after storage and just before use.
b) No battery likes being fully discharged - ideally you wouldn't drop below 50% charge when riding. So if you are going to ride the bike within the next few days don't deliberately drop it down to 35% and then charge it up again.

None of these numbers are exact. Where I say 50% you can quite cheerfully say 40 to 60% etc and they are only optimum values for preserving battery life. Stick to them when you sensibly can, when you want a longer ride etc. just use the battery you need and don't worry at all about running it down lower on the odd occasion. In fact you could ignore all of this and just ride the bike, being ultra careful with the battery won't extend its life enough to be worth it for everyone.

maker

Feb 13, 2020
North Wales
Bosch say charge when between 40 and 60%. Saw a test on phone batteries that gitbest life when charged from between those limits

PaulK

Jan 26, 2019
Ramsgate
Storage charge is between 40-60%.

The battery will never fully discharge, the BMS ensures this. You should discharge the battery at least once every 3 months.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
fully to red/shut off?
I do that way more than once every 3 months anyway.
And if I flatten it completely I always try to get it on charge straight away when I'm back.
Otherwise I just charge from whatever point it happens to be at after it's last ride to make sure it has enough charge to last the next journey/ride.
Usually ride the bike almost every day

PaulK

Jan 26, 2019
Ramsgate
Gary,
fully to red/shut off?
I do that way more than once every 3 months anyway.
And if I flatten it completely I always try to get it on charge straight away when I'm back.
Otherwise I just charge from whatever point it happens to be at after it's last ride to make sure it has enough charge to last the next journey/ride.
Usually ride the bike almost every day

Gary,
lf you are using the bike every day then you are doing the right thing.

The batteries have no memory effect, two 50% charges are the same as one 100% charge. "For the user, this means considerably simplified battery handling: it can be charged, wholly or partially, regardless of how full it is already. "

Some chargers have a 60% charge feature, a storage mode. The main thing with the batteries s to keep them warm, not in a cold garage or shed.

Paul.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Gary,

Gary,
lf you are using the bike every day then you are doing the right thing.

The batteries have no memory effect, two 50% charges are the same as one 100% charge. "For the user, this means considerably simplified battery handling: it can be charged, wholly or partially, regardless of how full it is already. "

Some chargers have a 60% charge feature, a storage mode. The main thing with the batteries s to keep them warm, not in a cold garage or shed.

Paul.
Yeah . it's always stored indoors but also ridden a minimum of 8 times a week throughout winter in Scotland. low temps are somewhat unavoidable in use. I did fit a neoprene battery cosy tho. however much use that is. ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Once it has discharged to 40% to 60% then fully recharge FROM that level. It made a big difference for phone batteries
discharged to the point the bike shuts it off?
yeah I do that a lot, and continue riding with no battery

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I recently left my bike in the shed for 3 months at 100% charge during one of the worst Aussie summers in Central Oz, over 40º every day (just too god damn hot to ride). The first ride out and the battery didn't last long although 5 bars were showing on the battery, in reality it had probably discharged to somewhere near 80%, I've charged it up a few times since that first ride back and it's back to normal. Stunlocker shows 27 charges and 98% battery health.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles