Does your SRAM chain gap screw adjust itself?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Experience has taught me that, when shifting gets noisy and nasty, the chain gap screw (aka B screw for some reason) has adjusted itself. It never seems to be the barrel adjuster, low limit screw, or high limit screw. Or a bent derailleur hanger.

How many of you SRAM derailleur guys (11 speed, if that matters) have to periodically check and fix the derailleur chain gap?

I applied a small amount of Loctite 242 (blue) thread locker to the assembly a few minutes ago. I'm hoping for two things. (1) The Loctite wicks into the place it needs to be. (2) I don't regret this later!

To all you would-be trolls who want to tell me Shimano is better, I'm completely satisfied with my transmission when it is properly adjusted.
:p ;)

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Maybe the Medium Strength Loctite will wick in, maybe not. You could run the screw out, apply the Loctite, and then readjust. There's also a Medium Strength Wicking Grade that works nicely.

But if you're really looking for a troll, I'm your huckleberry. Throw out that B-Screw derailleur and get yourself a T-Type AXS drivetrain. No need to thank me.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
...never... on any bike.............all with either GX/GX AXS, or X01 mechs. What mech are you using?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
...never... on any bike.............all with either GX/GX AXS, or X01 mechs. What mech are you using?
The one my 2019 expert carbon came with, X1. This auto-adjusting is fairly recent, so I'm guessing the mechanical setting retention is getting tired. The bike is heading towards 5 years old and I ride it a lot.

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
Same issue here on 3 AXS XX1 mechs. Loctite 243 did fix the job ;-)

On two bikes switched to T-Type Transmission.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
But if you're really looking for a troll, I'm your huckleberry. Throw out that B-Screw derailleur and get yourself a T-Type AXS drivetrain. No need to thank me.
For a few years now I’ve been using a AXS GX derailer, rocker-type controller, Shimano XT cassette, Hyper Glide chain, ethirteen chainring. The AXS derailer was attached to the derailer hanger. This was a “hack”, but it worked very well. Smooth, quiet, fast.

Then my Trek Fuel EXE came with a T-Type derailer. No “B” screw, only a high and low adjustment. The LBS did the initial setup procedure (three bike mechanics and myself since this was fairly new to everyone).

Once the fine tuning was done through the app (#9 position) I haven’t needed to adjust the shifting since. This system is smoother, quieter and faster than my “hack” method …which I didn’t think was possible.

My next derailer on the Rail 9.7 will be a T-Type AXS system.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles